D3 18-19 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
    The box score I read was 1:20 into OT. On another note, UW-Superior may be better than preseason predictions - adding a couple of UMD transfers definitely looks to have bolstered their D and goaltending.
    Hmm, well I'm glad it's been corrected. When I first looked that's what it said. Perhaps it's time for an eye doctor appointment. Lol.

Comment

Plymouth State 4-2 over UMass-Boston. Wow!
      Nazareth 10-0 over Wilkes. Not so wow.
      Suffolk 4-0 over Anna Maria. Anyone see it?
      Trine 1-0 over Finlandia. Poor Finlandia.

Comment

Re: D3 18-19 season

Scores from today's action:

Nichols 3 - Morrisville 1
        Castleton 5 - Salem St 3 (HT for Jocelyn Forrest)
        Norwich 6 - NEC 1 (2 goals for Conway)
        Plattsburgh 5 - Cortland 0 (3 points for Millen)
        Elmira 7 - Neumann 1 (5 PPGs)
        UW-EC 5 - Bethel 1 (Elizabeth Bauer 1G 4A, Wittig 1G 3A)
        St. Thomas 2 - UW-SP 1
        UW-RF 7 - Concordia (MN) 2

Comment

Tough weekend for the Beacons! Swept by two teams they should typically have little trouble beating, and at home no less! Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            Tough weekend for the Beacons! Swept by two teams they should typically have little trouble beating, and at home no less! Ouch!
            They certainly weren't shining their brightest. Though one of their opponents is Plymouth State who beat them Friday and went on to hang in tough in a 4-2 loss to Norwich today, only giving up the 2-2 tie on 5 on 3 and 5 on 4 PPGs late in the 3rd. A good split weekend for them.

Not a lot of surprises in today's action other than Elmira scoring only 2 goals on what so far has been an awful Neumann squad.

Nichols with their first loss of the year to Morrisville, 3-0.
            Plattsburgh, St. Thomas and River Falls also finished weekend sweeps.
            Adrian over Northland 3-0.
            Superior beats St. Catherine to take a home and home.
            GAC holds Eau Claire to a 2-2 draw despite being outshot 53 to 21 on the road.

Comment

Last year, UMB was 0-1-1 v PSU. While, 2-0 v USM, they needed o.t. to win their 2nd game after falling behind 3-1. This season, USM raised my eyebrows when they tied Endicott 1-1. That goalie (#31) appears to be a brick wall in her 2 games so far (Endicott/UMB) w/ a scrooge-like 0.48 GAA/.989 SV%. PSU hasn't embarrassed themselves this season v FP, St. A's, and Norwich so they might be a team to watch.
              Last edited by Genbeau; 11-04-2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Not to appear naïve, but it seems to me the big leveler in woman's DIII has been goal play. Young goalies have received specialized coaching earlier in their career and have gotten further along their developmental arc than the snipers. Then some days the pucks look like basketballs, and their team is outshot 55-7 or some such, and they are still able to steal games. I think it has made so many more games I see exciting!

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  Not to appear naïve, but it seems to me the big leveler in woman's DIII has been goal play. Young goalies have received specialized coaching earlier in their career and have gotten further along their developmental arc than the snipers. Then some days the pucks look like basketballs, and their team is outshot 55-7 or some such, and they are still able to steal games. I think it has made so many more games I see exciting!
                  I don't call a game where the shots are 55-7 exciting at all, no matter which team wins. It means one team is playing in their own zone for 90-95% of the game. That is NOT the definition of exciting hockey at any level. And if truth be told, I honestly don't like seeing box scores where the shots/play is so one-sided, but the dominant team loses something like 1-0 or 2-1. I feel that makes a bit of a mockery of our game. Yes, sometimes you run up against a hot goalie and she steals the game for her team, a team that otherwise looked pathetic on the ice. Yes it happens more in D3 than I saw or see in D1, but I still don't think that's a good thing for our game.
                  Last edited by shelfit; 11-04-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I don't call a game where the shots are 55-7 exciting at all, no matter which team wins. It means one team is playing in their own zone for 90-95% of the game. That is NOT the definition of exciting hockey at any level. And if truth be told, I honestly don't like seeing box scores where the shots/play is so one-sided, but the dominant team loses something like 1-0 or 2-1. I feel that makes a bit of a mockery of our game. Yes, sometimes you run up against a hot goalie and she steals the game for her team, a team that otherwise looked pathetic on the ice. Yes it happens more in D3 than I saw or see in D1, but I still don't think that's a good thing for our game.
                    For the general public or prospective student-athletes looking at d3 hockey that don’t take the time or know how to go deeper into the boxscores of games, it’s certainly a good thing for the growth of the game to have teams like Plymouth State and Neumann play 4-2 and 2-1 games against Elmira and Norwich rather than 9-0 and 8-1 blowouts.

You can sell almost anything to prospective athletes when the scores are closer. Makes the pitch easier with the hope that you can not only play a lot right away, you can help be the tipping point to get that upset win over one of those teams and be a part of something special.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      For the general public or prospective student-athletes looking at d3 hockey that don’t take the time or know how to go deeper into the boxscores of games, it’s certainly a good thing for the growth of the game to have teams like Plymouth State and Neumann play 4-2 and 2-1 games against Elmira and Norwich rather than 9-0 and 8-1 blowouts.

You can sell almost anything to prospective athletes when the scores are closer. Makes the pitch easier with the hope that you can not only play a lot right away, you can help be the tipping point to get that upset win over one of those teams and be a part of something special.
                      No question your points are true but closer scores as a result of overall team improvement are much different than closer scores as a result of a goalie standing on her head while her team is only getting single digit shots on goal like obserbear referred to in his post. If you've ever been on either side of those games, they're not fun for the players on either team to play in, and they're not fun for the spectators to watch. That's why I said those types of games aren't good for our sport at either the D3 or D1 levels.

Comment

No question your points are true but closer scores as a result of overall team improvement are much different than closer scores as a result of a goalie standing on her head while her team is only getting single digit shots on goal like obserbear referred to in his post. If you've ever been on either side of those games, they're not fun for the players on either team to play in, and they're not fun for the spectators to watch. That's why I said those types of games aren't good for our sport at either the D3 or D1 levels.

Agreed, other than an occasional goalie stealing a game, these results are not good for the sport. It gives everyone (including coaches) the false impression that they're on the right track and close to competing with the Norwich's of the world when the truth is far from it.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          Agreed, other than an occasional goalie stealing a game, these results are not good for the sport. It gives everyone (including coaches) the false impression that they're on the right track and close to competing with the Norwich's of the world when the truth is far from it.
                          Exactly, thank you!

Comment

Correct.

I’ll argue that Plymouth State has consistently been a thorn in Norwich’s side for the last 3-4 seasons. Look at the scores. They’ve been competing hard against NU consistently. The goalie is a big part of it but they work their tails off to make life difficult for NU’s studs and they usually find ways to score a goal or two as well. Shots on goal numbers continue to get closer as well.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

And Plattsburgh takes down the defending champions Norwich 2-0 despite racking up a ton of penalty minutes. Norwich 0 for 8 on the power play, and Plattsburgh scores on a shorthanded goal from Millen and a power play goal from Katonka for insurance. Both teams came into the week 2nd in one poll and 3rd in another.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                                And Plattsburgh takes down the defending champions Norwich 2-0 despite racking up a ton of penalty minutes. Norwich 0 for 8 on the power play, and Plattsburgh scores on a shorthanded goal from Millen and a power play goal from Katonka for insurance. Both teams came into the week 2nd in one poll and 3rd in another.
                                Officiating was pretty sketchy.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                                X