Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    ... encouraging to see that Norwich still has an outside shot at a Pool C if they don't lose too many more games this year and don't win the AQ bid ...
    It wasn't that many years ago that we (including me) were moaning and complaining about more "deserving" teams being displaced by winners of really weak conference AQs. Now the MIAC and UCHC are going to steal two bids from some much better teams. How things change.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
      Side note (sorry to be a downer)...

Can everyone who is able to get their butts to the rink next Friday for Castleton? And if you’re a season ticket holder who never gets to campus, will you consider giving them up? I’m so darn sick of seeing a half empty barn. It’s embarrassing how poor attendance has been the last couple of seasons.
      To be fair to us, this is an issue that extends far beyond Norwich, DIII hockey, and New England. Sadly, high school gyms and football fields often aren't packed the way they used to be.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Ok, couple of things.

First I don't pick the player of the game. That fell to Tanner and Lee this weekend. Oh, and just for the record when I worked the game alone at Hobart last week and I did make the pick whom did I go with?
        Tommy Aubrun. You're welcome.

As to attendance I too would like to see more folks in the seats ... and I wish there were a better system for putting absentee season ticket holders seats to use.
        But there was this little storm getting started late this afternoon. And the students are just getting back this weekend.
        Expect a BIG crowd on Friday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
          Ok, couple of things.

First I don't pick the player of the game. That fell to Tanner and Lee this weekend. Oh, and just for the record when I worked the game alone at Hobart last week and I did make the pick whom did I go with?

As to attendance I too would like to see more folks in the seats ... and I wish there were a better system for putting absentee season ticket holders seats to use.
          But there was this little storm getting started late this afternoon. And the students are just getting back this weekend.
          Expect a BIG crowd on Friday night.
          I think we were teasing about the player of the game; I know I was

I hope for a big crowd Friday night, but I don’t know that the students coming back will make a difference. I’ve noticed student attendance dropping off the last few years too

Comment

I think we were teasing about the player of the game; I know I was

I hope for a big crowd Friday night, but I don’t know that the students coming back will make a difference. I’ve noticed student attendance dropping off the last few years too
            I know in the Fall you were talking about Coach Ellsworth making an effort to interact with the Corps and go to Corps events. Is he still doing that? Over time, I think that could pay huge dividends. We've talked about it before, but when I attended Norwich from 2009-2013 (hard to believe we're talking about almost 10 years ago now), I would sometimes see hockey players around campus, but there wasn't any interaction between them and the Corps. I don't even think there were any Corps kids on the team back then.

How many Corps players on the team now? Two? That's definitely an improvement, and I don't mean that sarcastically. Given the nature of college hockey and how recruiting works, if you want a competitive program then you're not going to be able to stock your team full of kids wanting to be in the Corps of Cadets - unless you're an academy. But, given the civilian/Corps divide that Norwich will always have to some extent, one thing the varsity hockey program has to realize is that when it comes to student attendance the club team is now a direct competitor. The school is roughly 2/3 Corps kids, with the on-campus population being obviously higher since all the Corps kids have to live on campus. The varsity hockey team is 90% civilian and the club team is 90% Corps. Given that the students aren't going to spend all of their free time going to hockey games, which ones are they going to go to?
            Norwich '13

Comment

Cadets take 2 vs the top teams in the NEHC. Great weekend. Gotta keep on the gas. I think they’re hitting their stride.
              Four Point Weekend NOW ON TO MIDDLEBURY
              Steve Day(NU71)
              Go Cadets

Comment

• Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post

Oh I was only playing around George, great broadcast as always.

Mainly just wanted to point out how rock solid he was in net.

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                  Oh I was only playing around George, great broadcast as always.

Mainly just wanted to point out how rock solid he was in net.
                  I got it guys... just replying in kind.

Comment

Don't look now but here comes the Cadets.... as far as attendance,cell phone computers and netflicks,get rid of'em….

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                      I know in the Fall you were talking about Coach Ellsworth making an effort to interact with the Corps and go to Corps events. Is he still doing that? Over time, I think that could pay huge dividends. We've talked about it before, but when I attended Norwich from 2009-2013 (hard to believe we're talking about almost 10 years ago now), I would sometimes see hockey players around campus, but there wasn't any interaction between them and the Corps. I don't even think there were any Corps kids on the team back then.

How many Corps players on the team now? Two? That's definitely an improvement, and I don't mean that sarcastically. Given the nature of college hockey and how recruiting works, if you want a competitive program then you're not going to be able to stock your team full of kids wanting to be in the Corps of Cadets - unless you're an academy. But, given the civilian/Corps divide that Norwich will always have to some extent, one thing the varsity hockey program has to realize is that when it comes to student attendance the club team is now a direct competitor. The school is roughly 2/3 Corps kids, with the on-campus population being obviously higher since all the Corps kids have to live on campus. The varsity hockey team is 90% civilian and the club team is 90% Corps. Given that the students aren't going to spend all of their free time going to hockey games, which ones are they going to go to?
                      Don’t forget about Klingensmith (sp?)! From walk-on Rook to National champion, All America goaltender your freshman year.

Coach Ellsworth has been great connecting with everyone on campus, although it’s been tougher for him in-season. I anticipate he’ll be back at it, building bridges, come spring.

One thing that has been cool is that a lot of hockey players live on campus now. That was not the case in the past. For lack of a better word, I think a lot of kids viewed the guys as (almost) mercenaries. They came, lived in town, played hockey, graduated, and never came back. There wasn’t a ton of connection to the campus community, or even the mystique that makes Norwich so amazingly special. That’s changing, and it’s a good thing.

As far as club vs varsity games, why can’t they go to both? It’s winter in Central VT, what else are they doing? Haha.
                      Last edited by KrbFlint; 01-20-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Don’t forget about Klingensmith (sp?)! From walk-on Rook to National champion, All America goaltender your freshman year.

Coach Ellsworth has been great connecting with everyone on campus, although it’s been tougher for him in-season. I anticipate he’ll be back at it, building bridges, come spring.

One thing that has been cool is that a lot of hockey players live on campus now. That was not the case in the past. For lack of a better word, I think a lot of kids viewed the guys as (almost) mercenaries. They came, lived in town, played hockey, graduated, and never came back. There wasn’t a ton of connection to the campus community, or even the mystique that makes Norwich so amazingly special. That’s changing, and it’s a good thing.

As far as club vs varsity games, why can’t they go to both? It’s winter in Central VT, what else are they doing? Haha.
                        My freshman year I was completely oblivious to the world of DIII hockey. We attended the home games every weekend, but if I'm being honest I remember secretly cheering against NU because I hated the school so much at that point (as Rookdom makes you do). But at that point, they were winning all of their games by scores of like 8-1. I remember the guys like Kyle Thomas who were in my class because they were on the team the whole four years I was there, but I couldn't name the seniors on that National Championship team. Good to hear that they had a cadet in goal!

And I think your use of the word "mercenary" is right on. It's really a perfect descriptor. That's definitely how we saw them, in general. But I don't think that perception was fair or reality. As I became an upperclassmen and had some unique academic opportunities with fellowships and such I would run into hockey players more. The summer after my junior year I was selected for a competitive Summer Research Fellowship, and of the handful of students who were selected I remember one being a hockey player (though I forget his name). Braeden Ostepchuk is another example of a hockey player really taking advantage of what Norwich has to offer and excelling academically. If Coach Ellsworth continues to build bridges, then I think this reality of the program will begin to overtake the mistaken perception of them. Though, as you said, more of them living on campus will certainly help.

And agreed on the club v. varsity account. I loved going to all of them. I remember being disgruntled because late baseball practices meant that there were fewer hockey games I could attend (I remember specifically missing whiteout games v Middlebury). But I think in today's Corps of Cadets you have more guys who simply don't care at all about sports. And - and this is getting a bit philosophical perhaps - that's what I was kinda referring to when I said that local sporting events not being as well-attended as years past is a national issue. It used to be that if you were at Norwich because your dream was to be an Airborne Ranger that you would perhaps read books about it but go to the games because that was your community and where your friends were. Today, and I don't mean this disparagingly toward them for God knows most of them are better soldiers than I'll ever be, but perhaps they spend their Friday nights watching YouTube videos of real Airborne Rangers and playing Call of Duty with their friends - things more in-line with their interests.

Is that an over-simplification? Perhaps. But I think there's a lot of truth in it.
                        Norwich '13

Comment

Well, when it comes to attendance, at least we're not Middlebury. Yeesh.
                          Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                            Well, when it comes to attendance, at least we're not Middlebury. Yeesh.
                            How about that for a game? Wow!

Comment

• Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                              How about that for a game? Wow!
                              Woo! Hell of a game! I’ll take a comeback win on a Tuesday please.

Comment

Great win. Even though it's Middlebury - who Norwich should always be up for - this was definitely a bit of a trap game. Tuesday night road game coming off of a big weekend against a team you have dominated in recent years and who you beat 5-1 earlier in the season? Then coming back after falling behind 2-0? Middlebury's goalie played great. Aubrun didn't get as many chances, and perhaps his slant wasn't as impressive, but I thought he played well too. The first goal was just perfectly-placed slap shot off the crossbar and the second one he didn't have much of a chance on.
                                Norwich '13

Comment

Working...
                                X