USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

I bought a tomahawk steak. Anyone ever cooked anything like a 3” bone-in ribeye?

Obviously sear it and then go indirect. But any tips beyond that?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/on...chicken-thighs

Made this tonight with one exception. I thought I had sriracha at home. No dice. So I improvised and made a garlicky hot sauce with some vinegar, jalapeños, and some spices.

Holy moly this was all really good.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/on...chicken-thighs

Made this tonight with one exception. I thought I had sriracha at home. No dice. So I improvised and made a garlicky hot sauce with some vinegar, jalapeños, and some spices.

Holy moly this was all really good.
        That looks fantastic.

Comment

If I could do one thing differently, I would have spooned the sauce back over the chicken more often. It was still outrageously flavorful. It’s now on my regular list.

And it’s truly a one-skillet recipe. With a small prep bowl to mix the sauce in. A knife and a cutting board. That’s a great weeknight dinner if you ask me.
          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Finally a recipe that even I can't screw up:

- Pork tenderloin
            - 16 oz of A&W Root Beer

Put into crock pot for 10 hours. Pull with two forks; add BBQ sauce to taste.
            Pulled pork with a lean cut? That will not be good.

Comment

If I could do one thing differently, I would have spooned the sauce back over the chicken more often. It was still outrageously flavorful. It’s now on my regular list.

And it’s truly a one-skillet recipe. With a small prep bowl to mix the sauce in. A knife and a cutting board. That’s a great weeknight dinner if you ask me.
              That looks delightful! (And I like the layout and mini-vids on that site)

Comment

The carrots don't burn in the cast-iron with all that time in the oven + the chicken fat?

Comment

If you have super thin carrots they get a little charred, but buy the bag of carrots instead of a bunch with the tops. The bags tend to have bigger carrots compared to the ones you can buy loose or in bunches in the grocery store.

Big fat beefy carrots got just the right amount of char and the cook on them was amazing. Didn’t even check on them. I was actually surprised myself.

Full disclosure. Lol. I read the “turn off the stove” part as turn off the oven. So I threw the carrots in and turned off the oven lol. When I realized, wait, how does the chicken actually co...sh-t. And turned the oven back on after I had pulled out the carrots. It turned out perfectly and I had a really good laugh at my own expense.

A few other notes: I turned the carrots the first time after 2-3 minutes instead of four. Also, I only had three chicken thighs in my pack. So the fat that came off of them was slightly more than what the recipe called for, but that’s just pure schmaltzy goodness. I didn’t decant anything. Also, I wouldn’t go much beyond 12 minutes** on the final cook depending on how long your thighs cook on the stovetop. Mine went a decent amount longer. Medium low on the skins seemed low. It took longer but I got a good result. If you know how to do a good cook on thighs and get crispy skins, do what you would normally do and skip the recipe timing. Given the sugar content of the honey, keep an eye on the final bake. The bottom of that pan had a panoply of flavor but it could have gone very wrong fast if I left it too long.

**18 might have seen some nasty char.
                  Code:

Comment

Bonus: the house still smells wonderful this morning.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                      Pulled pork with a lean cut? That will not be good.
                      It is surprisingly good. The root beer pseudo-caramelizes. Add the BBQ to taste.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I bought a tomahawk steak. Anyone ever cooked anything like a 3” bone-in ribeye?

Obviously sear it and then go indirect. But any tips beyond that?
                        Liberally salted and peppered the steak and fresh rosemary. Let it sit for an hour on the counter.

Two minutes over scorching hot coals, cover. Rotate 90. Two more minutes covered. Flip and repeat. Then I moved it to the cold side, covered, and basically baked it for 10ish mins with top vent nearly closed. Touch test for doneness.

Holy god.
                        Code:

Comment

Anyone know if broccoli rabe is very seasonal or just an east coast thing?

I can’t find it at any of the stores around me. Might swing by Whole Foods to see if they have it.
                          Code:

Comment

Anyone know if broccoli rabe is very seasonal or just an east coast thing?

I can’t find it at any of the stores around me. Might swing by Whole Foods to see if they have it.
                            Not sure if this will help or not, but I had a similar problem when attempting a recipe (Pan Seared Scallops with Broccoli Rabe) and could not find it locally. Searched the entire Wegmans produce section... twice... finally "found" it, but identified as Rappi and/or Rapini. But then again, I am closer to the East coast!
                            Dave
                            RIT - '90

Comment

It's definitely called "rapini" in flyover country, at least from what I have seen.

Comment

Thanks. Must have walked right by it then. Hy-Vee product locator says they have it, but when I asked them while I was at the store I got the, “Broccoli what?”

I’ll look for rapini

Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X