X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2018-2019

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Ok, I'm taking feigned umbrage at your adjective.
    Whether the adjective was wrong, at least they had an opportunity, as opposed to before and after where they really didn't have much of an opportunity. UW still has to go to Duluth, but I'm thinking that the UMD team I've seen play the Gophers four times shows up only when they care to against everyone else. Whoo hoo, we really want to play that quarterfinal series anyway.

When UM won in OT four weeks ago, I thought that the Bulldogs were the better team. Today, the Gophers were the better team for most of it, but UMD got the better goaltending, so there you go. It was a shame to waste the strong start and the early dominance in such a fashion. As for #5, I'll leave that for someone else. Hopefully, JJ can be a D Whisperer.

Sometimes, I wish that coaches would stay out of the way. The Gophs controlled most of the OT, UMD looked tired, and Frosty decided to call TO. From that point on, UMD got a second wind.

If I'm a team's only captain, I'd try to set an example for everyone else by being the hardest worker out there. But I'm not, so what I think doesn't matter.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The referees pointed to UMD for the timeout in OT, and the box score also lists it as a UMD timeout (just like the one in the third period). Who called which TO?
      Last edited by OldDave; 02-02-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        As for #5, I'll leave that for someone else. Hopefully, JJ can be a D Whisperer.
        Ahh yes...I guess we shouldn't talk about #5 and a couple of the other D although there were plenty of examples this afternoon of the curious "decision" making. It really wouldn't have mattered though if Alex Gulstene had been sharp which she was not. Actually UMD should have won the game right at the end of regulation as what could only be called a desperation shot somehow did not go in and clanked off the post.

I'm a team's only captain, I'd try to set an example for everyone else by being the hardest worker out there. But I'm not, so what I think doesn't matter.
        Paging Kelly Pannek...Kelly Pannek to the white courtesy phone.

I should say something positive and that is...Great crowd today with attendance at just over 3000.
        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-02-2019, 09:17 PM.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

but I'm thinking that the UMD team I've seen play the Gophers four times shows up only when they care to against everyone else.
          I made this general observation a few weeks ago ie: that they seem to play well only when they feel like it and when they do so they seem to be able to give anyone all they can handle. The problem is they don't seem to feel like it often enough with the most obvious spoke missing from the wheel being Rooney's play...most obvious because she has/had become their highest profile player in the last two years. But it's not all on her, the other side of the equation is scoring and their GF/GA tells you pretty much all you need to know.

With all this apparent ability usually hiding in the shadows I think it is on the coaching staff to get this team consistently all on the same page and possibly a leader or two on the team to lead by example and to get the best out of the rest every time they hit the ice.

Comment

Anyone who is even a semi-regular peruser of this board can probably tell you my thoughts on this game before I post anything, so other than saying that it was nice to see Sarah Potomak put one in the net, I'm just not going to bother.

Comment

Went to the Gopher women's game, expecting them to win. They didn't.
              Then went across the alley to the Gopher men's game, expecting them to lose. They didn't.
              I'm confused.
              And not very happy.
              But if the ladies rebound and win the rematch tomorrow afternoon, and if anyone not named the Patriots wins the Super Bowl, I'll be happy again.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                The referees pointed to UMD for the timeout in OT, and the box score also lists it as a UMD timeout (just like the one in the third period). Who called which TO?
                I was assuming the second one was UM, because UMD had already used one after they went on the PK. It would make more sense that it was the Gophers planning strategy or wanting to use certain people on the PP who were currently on the ice, if the first one was announced incorrectly. I'd feel better about that, because for the Gophers to call that one in OT would make zero sense.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It just seems like UMD is going to score whenever they need to...Such is this weekend.

Comment

Note to Gopher opponents: Forecheck against the Gophers defense is your ticket ! UMD has it figured out.

Comment

Apparently, Maddie Rooney's weakness is shots taken from below the goal line.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                        Apparently, Maddie Rooney's weakness is shots taken from below the goal line.
                        Who knew...Listening to the audio broadcast as I was driving. Did Rooney score an own goal like Gulstene did last night on either of the two goals today?

Comment

Minnesota has the lead and for whatever reason Minnesota tried to give up the lead but somehow didn't give it up...Yet...

And there it is...we are tied up

Extremely disappointed that Minnesota's depth hasn't been able to wear UMD down.

Of course the world class goaltender makes the impossible save.

Dear Minnesota, now that you have the lead please play some defense...Thank you for taking care of business very much.

It was nice of the Gopher's first line to take of business late.
                          Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-03-2019, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I guess I should look at it as would it be better to have extremely competitive games like this UMD series or cupcake blowouts against team like Holy Cross?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Who knew...Listening to the audio broadcast as I was driving. Did Rooney score an own goal like Gulstene did last night on either of the two goals today?
                              No, but in the case of both of the Gophers' first two goals, she was off the pipe and first Skaja and then S. Potomak banked the puck into the net off of the back of her leg. Schammel's game winning goal was at the other end, so I didn't get a look at whether or not something similar happened, though she was definitely down very low.

Comment

Frustrating series in a lot of ways as a Gopher fan. I wanted them to win both games, take over first in the pairwise, get the inside track in the WCHA, and be done with it.

But UMD was having none of that. Bulldogs played very well, but more than that they played so ****ing hard it was really impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X