Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Open Wheel Racing 2018- with less winglets.

Sad day for Leclerc fans, seeing his team screw him over like that. Have the pace, but first let Vettel by (for no increase of pace), and then horrible tire/pitting strategy- and you lose 3rd to 5th. More reason to not like Ferrari.

Pretty easy day for Mercedes given all of the Ferrari talk- Bottas never was threatened by either Ferrari in spite of the "extra power" that is supposed to be there. As I saw that- the ease they had will make the end of the season easier, since they are not really stressing the powertrain.

Good race days for Riccardo (who finished) and Albon (crash in P3 to 10th). And Kimi did a great job.
    Last edited by alfablue; 04-14-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      A lot of guys on amateur racing won't talk about safelty but this guy is right on. If you saw the video of Hunter-Reay during the Wickens accident last year he puts his hands under his belts during the crash.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jo2-YWxH1Q
      It's always amazing to me how many guys, in this day and age, still don't take safety equipment seriously. Walking around the pits throughout the short track scene in the Midwest is eye opening... Just keeping belts up to date on lower level cars is astounding

Yes, I get that $150-200 is a high percentage in total value to have invested in Belts when you bought a Street Stock off a buddy for $5-7K. But no one thinks that anything bad will happen to them......
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Sébastien Vettel, whining crybaby entitled *****. He’s not 1/2 the driver as Prost or Mansell let alone the elite like Senna and Clark. He cracks EVERY time he’s under pressure.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          It's always amazing to me how many guys, in this day and age, still don't take safety equipment seriously. Walking around the pits throughout the short track scene in the Midwest is eye opening... Just keeping belts up to date on lower level cars is astounding

Yes, I get that $150-200 is a high percentage in total value to have invested in Belts when you bought a Street Stock off a buddy for $5-7K. But no one thinks that anything bad will happen to them......
          I went and looked at a car the other day which had a lot of small items done for safety. iI's been on the market 18 months. The shop owner who is selling the car for the owner, included things in his rebuild like anti decapitation bars. They are totally ugly, but he was the man who found a driver who had gone under the armco at Bridgehampton and was decapitated. He painted the exhaust orange to remind you it's hot don't touch. He getting a lot of criticism for the color. I don't know if I'll buy it or not but I appreciate the effort. I've seen a number of cars land on the neighbors cockpit after being bounced into the air.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

So FP1 didn't go so well for Baku.

First saw a manhole cover come up a little as LeClerc drove over it. And then later, Russel pulled it out of it's spot, destroying the underside of his car. Oops.

If that was not bad enough for the organizers (the cover should have been welded down), the truck carrying the Williams back to the pit hit a bridge, which broke the crane, and started draining hydraulic fluid all over the Williams.

Not a good start- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5f87xjg-m4

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              So FP1 didn't go so well for Baku.

First saw a manhole cover come up a little as LeClerc drove over it. And then later, Russel pulled it out of it's spot, destroying the underside of his car. Oops.

If that was not bad enough for the organizers (the cover should have been welded down), the truck carrying the Williams back to the pit hit a bridge, which broke the crane, and started draining hydraulic fluid all over the Williams.

Not a good start- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5f87xjg-m4
              And it's worse than that.

In F2 qualifying, a guy is being bumped started, and his rear wheels run over two marshals ... because they were pushing the car from in front of the rear wheels. Seriously, dudes?

The Keystone Cops Grand Prix is on Sunday...
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I went and looked at a car the other day which had a lot of small items done for safety. iI's been on the market 18 months. The shop owner who is selling the car for the owner, included things in his rebuild like anti decapitation bars. They are totally ugly, but he was the man who found a driver who had gone under the armco at Bridgehampton and was decapitated. He painted the exhaust orange to remind you it's hot don't touch. He getting a lot of criticism for the color. I don't know if I'll buy it or not but I appreciate the effort. I've seen a number of cars land on the neighbors cockpit after being bounced into the air.
                Are you sure you are not talking about the F1 crash at Watkins Glen?

I know Bridgehampton very well, and I never heard this story. In fact, there was no guardrail at Bridgehampton outside of the main straight. It was all natural sand traps and dunes. (What a massive balls track that was. I sure do miss it.)
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I know Bridgehampton very well, and I never heard this story. In fact, there was no guardrail at Bridgehampton outside of the main straight. It was all natural sand traps and dunes. (What a massive balls track that was. I sure do miss it.)
                  Could have been. I got the story from the owner but it could easily have been misunderstood. We passed on the car though. A lot of cars have these bars now but this one's were huge!

BTW, the 50th FF celebration at Road America will have over 220 Fords running as of now, 4 months before the event. A number of extremely rare and unique cars will be in attendance.

I think Baku will be a terrific race, if any of the cars are still running at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Francois Cevert, Tyrell? 1973? Top of the esses IIRC.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I'm sure this was an amatuer race he was talking about.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47838557

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        No. He was not decapitated. He did crash at the top of the esses in practice. The impact killed him. That was the impetus to put the chicane there which was removed when ISC and Corning bought the track out of bankruptcy.

It was Helmuth Koinigg the year before in the race at the Toe of the Boot.
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          No. He was not decapitated. He did crash at the top of the esses in practice. The impact killed him. That was the impetus to put the chicane there which was removed when ISC and Corning bought the track out of bankruptcy.

The gentleman I was referring to named the person killed, and it wasn't Helmet Koinigg.
                          I had hopes for this last F1 race but again relatively boring. I think overall the SCCA and other NA race organizations do a poor job of publicizing racing results. SCCA had a majors this last weekend at Summitt Point. the SCCA web site has virtually nothing about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

^
                            I was at that race on the other side of the boot.

Wasn't that the race where they burned the bus in The Bog?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The gentleman I was referring to named the person killed, and it wasn't Helmet Koinigg.
                              The only other driver I've ever heard get decapitated somewhere in the Northeast was during a Formula Ford support race for the Canadian GP, either at Mosport or Mt. Tremblant, I can't remember. He ignored a local yellow flag, pulled out to pass, and ran underneath an ambulance.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                ^
                                I was at that race on the other side of the boot.
                                Even if you were watching from that corner, you would not have known anything from what I heard from people. It was back enough, the sight line wasn't that good. No one, other than the corner workers right there, knew what was going on. And after they covered the car, with the driver still in it, with a tarp for the rest of the race (things were a lot different back then), everyone figured the driver had gotten out.

Later in my life, I met someone who's sister was working the next corner station. She also had no idea what was going on, other than the chatter on the radio, but she wasn't on the radio, so she was oblivious until after the race.

Wasn't that the race where they burned the bus in The Bog?
                                I can't remember which year that was.

Interesting how when Watkins Glen was resurrected, the track wanted nothing to do with the history of the Bog. No employee was ever allowed to talk about it. They even paved over that part. Until recently, when now they do hype the "The Bog" mystic. Of course now, it's used to sell memorabilia and such. Money always talks...
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X