Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMass is NewMass

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    One guy is leaning over looking for a puck in his skates and his head is literally sticking out toward the player making contact.
    Ya that was the Denver major. I definitely see where you are coming from. I just viewed that one as strictly from a direct head contact angle. That one was clear direct head contact but the question is should there be mitigating factors like the argument you present. I doubt the NCAA wants to get into that gray area with these part time officials so they'll just end up calling that one a major every time regardless of where the guy being hit positioned his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Not a good showing by the WCHA crew for this and other reasons. By contrast, the Atlantic Hockey crew that worked the first game did a nice job, IMO.
      I thought they let a lot of obstruction go, which really stymied PC at times.

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
        Any chance the NCAA takes a second look at that Trivigno hit? And 100% agree on Carle needing to use his challenge there. I wonder if the refs were not clear to him on what he would be challenging.
        The playing rules have a provision for supplementary discipline that allow the "proper disciplinary authority" to "assess additional suspensions for any offense committed before, during or after a game, independent of whether such offense had been penalized by a referee." For the regular season and league playoffs, the league commissioner or designee is the "proper authority." AFAIK, the Tournament Chair has this authority for NCAA playoffs. Anyway, I would not be shocked if Trivigno ends up being suspended for the championship game.

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Didn't agree with the call on Hildenbrand. I never saw direct head contact and at least thought simultaneous body contact. Shouldn't be throwing kids out for hits like that....I am guessing what happened with Trivigno is no ref saw it clearly so in that case it has to be challenged? If so, big rookie mistake from Carle there. Could easily have been the difference between winning and losing.
        +1 re comment on the Hildenbrand penalty. The head contact was incidental to the primary shoulder-into-chest contact and was exacerbated by the fact that the kid who got hit had his head down and was shorter than Hildenbrand. In effect, the bigger guy who made the hit got penalized because he was taller than the smaller guy who took the hit. That kind of situation is not the intent of the head contact rule (IMO).

And I'd be interested in knowing exactly what the dialog was between the referee and Carle. It's uncharacteristic of a coach at this level to make a mistake like this unless he was acting on inaccurate information.
        Last edited by Split-N; 04-12-2019, 12:31 PM.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Well, it should have been called. Deserved penalty in my opinion. Hopefully UMass can overcome loss of one player.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
              Well, it should have been called. Deserved penalty in my opinion. Hopefully UMass can overcome loss of one player.
              Absolutely. Completely unnecessary, especially given the context. What kind of player SEES two previous ejections for the same offense and then deliberately elbows someone directly to the head?

I want to see Hockey East win because I support the league. But I have to say (and I have said this before on multiple occasions) that UMass seems to be overly cocky, which sometimes borders on arrogance. I don't really like to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Sucks for him but this is the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                  And I'd be interested in knowing exactly what the dialog was between the referee and Carle. It's uncharacteristic of a coach at this level to make a mistake like this unless he was acting on inaccurate information.
                  Coaches are allowed to challenge a variety of game situations, including “infractions that may result in the ejection of a student-athlete” if it has not used its timeout, which Denver hadn’t. If the challenge is unsuccessful, the team loses its timeout.
                  Front page article: https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/12/nca...pionship-game/

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    And the incident was late in the 3rd, prior to OT, correct? Even more reason to burn your timeout because with the new rule you get a timeout back for overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      And the incident was late in the 3rd, prior to OT, correct? Even more reason to burn your timeout because with the new rule you get a timeout back for overtime.
                      Agree, not sure what was said to Carle but it turned out to be a huge mistake on his part for not asking for a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Absolutely. Completely unnecessary, especially given the context. What kind of player SEES two previous ejections for the same offense and then deliberately elbows someone directly to the head?

I want to see Hockey East win because I support the league. But I have to say (and I have said this before on multiple occasions) that UMass seems to be overly cocky, which sometimes borders on arrogance. I don't really like to see that.
                        Honest question - what are you basing that off of? I have watched every single UMass game this year, and I have never gotten this vibe at all. They are an honest, extremely hard-working team. They happen to also have a good amount of skill too, which is a big reason why they have been so successful, but the foundation of this year's team has been commitment to details and team play. I don't see the cockiness thing at all.

Comment

As far as their style of play goes, they have only averaged about 10 minutes in penalties a game before last night.

Comment

Originally posted by carson12 View Post
                            Honest question - what are you basing that off of? I have watched every single UMass game this year, and I have never gotten this vibe at all. They are an honest, extremely hard-working team. They happen to also have a good amount of skill too, which is a big reason why they have been so successful, but the foundation of this year's team has been commitment to details and team play. I don't see the cockiness thing at all.
                            I've seen six of their last seven games. I'm familiar with this because I have seen BU play this way all year. They take entire periods off. They play better when behind. They get complacent when leading. Unless you're going to say they were tired, which is even more troubling. I was at the first UNH game in the quarterfinals and they slept through the first two periods, and if not for that last minute goal in the second would have been down 3-0 going into the third and most likely would have lost that game. Part of "talent" is sustaining effort. You can't possibly tell me they weren't lucky last night. The only 5 on five goal they scored was in OT, after they were completely dominated for the second half of the game. And they were lucky Trevigno wasn't tossed. It's my opinion. There isn't any empirical or "scientific" evidence to examine. Yes, I get it some of that is "human nature," but it's the coaches job (especially in the 40th game of the year or whatever it is) to impress upon his team that they just can't do that. To me, it was as if they scored those three lightning fast goals and just said, "Man, this is gonna be easy!" (while conveniently forgetting that they had a gigantic man or multi-man advantage for most of it) You can't honestly say, after watching them generate virtually NO even-strength offense for most of the game that they didn't tail off after they took the 3-1 lead. There was a time they were being out shot something like 40-22. And if you're the more skilled team, you don't take runs at guys' heads all night. When you think it's in the bag and you slack off, that's cockiness. I mean, what would YOU call it?

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I've seen six of their last seven games. I'm familiar with this because I have seen BU play this way all year. They take entire periods off. They play better when behind. They get complacent when leading. Unless you're going to say they were tired, which is even more troubling. I was at the first UNH game in the quarterfinals and they slept through the first two periods, and if not for that last minute goal in the second would have been down 3-0 going into the third and most likely would have lost that game. Part of "talent" is sustaining effort. You can't possibly tell me they weren't lucky last night. The only 5 on five goal they scored was in OT, after they were completely dominated for the second half of the game. And they were lucky Trevigno wasn't tossed. It's my opinion. There isn't any empirical or "scientific" evidence to examine. Yes, I get it some of that is "human nature," but it's the coaches job (especially in the 40th game of the year or whatever it is) to impress upon his team that they just can't do that. To me, it was as if they scored those three lightning fast goals and just said, "Man, this is gonna be easy!" (while conveniently forgetting that they had a gigantic man or multi-man advantage for most of it) You can't honestly say, after watching them generate virtually NO even-strength offense for most of the game that they didn't tail off after they took the 3-1 lead. There was a time they were being out shot something like 40-22. And if you're the more skilled team, you don't take runs at guys' heads all night. When you think it's in the bag and you slack off, that's cockiness. I mean, what would YOU call it?
                              lol woah ok. I actually agree that they got lucky last night. I agree Trivigno’s hit was deserving of a five minute major, but I also didn’t think Chaffee’s was so I’d call that a wash. And for the record I have zero issue with Trivigno getting suspended. But taking the fact that they got outplayed in the second and third period because they were playing too cautious with a 3-1 lead and using that as proof that they are cocky seems like a massive stretch to me. You see all the time teams who have a lead in the later stages of a game playing much more conservatively. Not a new phenomenon. Doesn’t mean umass is cocky, could just as likely mean they got too conservative and didn’t keep the foot on the gas when they should. Also, they did not take “runs at guys heads all night.” And yes they took UNH too lightly in the first two periods of the first game, but after that they figured it out and completely dominated. Wasn’t trying to offend you with my question though, I was honestly curious.

Comment

Bold prediction for the championship game:

UMass controls the first period, outshooting the Bulldogs by a 2-1 margin, but are only able to get one by Hunter, and take a 1-0 lead over the Minutemen after one.

UMD gradually begins to even things out in the second, but fails to score, leaving them behind 0-1. But their physical play seems to be wearing down the Minutemen, as the 2nd period wears down...

UMD continues to gain the momentum in the 3rd, and finally ties it at 1-1 with time running out in regulation.

Each team get great chances in the OT period but, truth be told, I have no idea which team gets the game winner. So everything you've read above can be completely disregarded.

May the best team win!
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X