Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

WAY off topic, like him or not;
    an NHL trade with WI ties,

Kessel to the Coyotes for Galchenyuk..
    RIP Kessel's career.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey 2018-2019 Part 2: Still not time for the witty thread title.

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

RIP Kessel's career.
      D Steph feeding Phil makes me ill.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        D Steph feeding Phil makes me ill.
        Another way to look at it; Kessel gets a lot of assists, so if they're on the same line, it will boost Stepan's goal count!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

RIP Kessel's career.
          Arizona is going to make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
            Another way to look at it; Kessel gets a lot of assists, so if they're on the same line, it will boost Stepan's goal count!
            Yeah, I guess.....Pavs to the Stars....not real thrilled with that move either. Not a Stars fan.

Comment

Yeah, I guess.....Pavs to the Stars....not real thrilled with that move either. Not a Stars fan.
              Talk about a stake to the heart. It looks like Doug Wilson really low-balled Joe looking for a "hometown discount" so it's obvious Wilson didn't want him.
              Too bad Joe will never hoist the cup; he was a winner at every level.
              Last edited by MadCityRich; 07-01-2019, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Norm Green still sucks.
                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                  How long ago did the people in charge at the Kohl Center decide to blare loud music between whistles? I've only been to a few games the last few years but I can't stand it.
                  It’s awful.

The rise in the “atmosphere by PA” came while attendance and student section were both dropping off a cliff. It’s a stupid answer to a serious problem, but I fear that it’s here to stay.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

• Originally posted by druzy192 View Post
                    With the new Bucks arena Wisconsin should now should be able to compete in hosting another Frozen Four.
                    The State of Wisconsin Billionaire Handout Forum is new, but undersized. I don’t know how big it would actually be in a hockey configuration, but I doubt that they’d seat more than 16,500 (and with bad hockey sight lines to boot). Why the NCAA would go for that instead of an NHL arena is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      Norm Green still sucks.
                      Yes. Yes he does.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

It’s awful.

The rise in the “atmosphere by PA” came while attendance and student section were both dropping off a cliff. It’s a stupid answer to a serious problem, but I fear that it’s here to stay.
                        OK, since it is the off-season let's stir the pot a little bit...

What do you define as the problem?

What would you see as the correct answer to the problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                          Yes, I like it, it’s the best reason to roam these parts in the off-season.

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                          I think things got stale in the Kohl Center about ten years ago, attendance dropped and the student section got less vocal/involved in the game.

Someone on staff figured canned noise was better than none and that’s how we got to where we are.

Simply put: how much canned music you hear is directly the definition of the problem. Outside of rare exceptions, it stifles any organic atmosphere you feel at a game.

I have no idea, because these types of things work best when they happen organically (as they used to), and “forcing” atmosphere almost never works.

That said: let the pep band play. My solution starts with that. Traditionally, our fans respond strongly with the band. Maybe things have changed slightly since my Crease Creature heyday (03-08), but I’ve felt that it’s been the same with the students.

There are cool things that happen with canned music (Jump Around, some soccer anthems that are lead by playing a song over the PA, etc), but that’s the exception. The vast majority of it falls flat, and just feels like filler. I don’t know precisely the psychology behind it (maybe the same difference between how people dance to Shout and The Electric Slide at weddings?), but it just has to go.

Maybe if the atmosphere is lead by the band, it’ll feel weird at first, but people will adjust.

Also: Find out how to make Phil Dzick live forever.

Comment

Yes, I like it, it’s the best reason to roam these parts in the off-season.

I think things got stale in the Kohl Center about ten years ago, attendance dropped and the student section got less vocal/involved in the game.

Someone on staff figured canned noise was better than none and that’s how we got to where we are.

Simply put: how much canned music you hear is directly the definition of the problem. Outside of rare exceptions, it stifles any organic atmosphere you feel at a game.

I have no idea, because these types of things work best when they happen organically (as they used to), and “forcing” atmosphere almost never works.

That said: let the pep band play. My solution starts with that. Traditionally, our fans respond strongly with the band. Maybe things have changed slightly since my Crease Creature heyday (03-08), but I’ve felt that it’s been the same with the students.

There are cool things that happen with canned music (Jump Around, some soccer anthems that are lead by playing a song over the PA, etc), but that’s the exception. The vast majority of it falls flat, and just feels like filler. I don’t know precisely the psychology behind it (maybe the same difference between how people dance to Shout and The Electric Slide at weddings?), but it just has to go.

Maybe if the atmosphere is lead by the band, it’ll feel weird at first, but people will adjust.

Also: Find out how to make Phil Dzick live forever.
                            Maybe the new band director will bring fresh material? Or maybe NOTHING at all.
                            I'd like to see the canned **** reduced by 50% and the new guy given a chance to pump up the crowd.

Comment

Side note:

My offseason project is to make a spreadsheet of every single incoming recruiting class at UW since 1963. Looking for stuff like NHL draft results, NHL games played, UW games played, UW pts/game, and more.

Turns out it’s not as simple as reading off the letter winners in the media guide.

Comment

Problem: Canned music sucks.
                                Solution: All music played by the band.

Next question.

Comment

Working...
                                X