Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2019 Offseason -- a respite from the red menace

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Outdone by the rodents 16 V 12, curses! I will admit I did speedread the rodent release to spare my eyes the pain of those colors, but I did not see any future rodents were invited while 3 UW commits were. Please correct me if I am wrong, I know you kind folks from MN like to spare me the pain on telling me I'm wrong, but I can take it.
    In the official release, they can't talk about future players because at this time of year, they have yet to sign their NLIs. If I'm remembering correctly there are 8 future Gophers attending the US camp and one attending the Canadian camp. It is fairly typical for the Gophers to have more USA campers than UW, because the Badgers have always had a greater Canadian presence on their roster than UM.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      In the official release, they can't talk about future players because at this time of year, they have yet to sign their NLIs. If I'm remembering correctly there are 8 future Gophers attending the US camp and one attending the Canadian camp. It is fairly typical for the Gophers to have more USA campers than UW, because the Badgers have always had a greater Canadian presence on their roster than UM.
      Good point on the recruits, the UW info was not an official release, TDM reported it.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Dangnabbit...There you go again trying to be Minnesota nice and rationally explaining things to a BADger fan.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Dangnabbit...There you go again trying to be Minnesota nice and rationally explaining things to a BADger fan.
          Did I mention I was in your state for a WHOLE WEEK a few weeks ago? Everyone was very nice to me even though I wore WI clothes every day. The only arseholes I ran into were on the lake and they were from.........................you guessed it...............IL.

Comment

Big congrats to the future and current Gopher players that have been selected to represent the U.S. in the upcoming 2019 Women's National Festival vs. Canada:

2019 U.S. Under-18 Women's Select Team
            D Maggie Nicholson (Minnetonka)
            F Abbey Murphy (Chicago Mission 19U)
            F Audrey Wethington (Blake)
            F Peyton Hemp (Andover)
            F Ella Huber (Chicago Mission 19U)
            G Skylar Vetter (Lakeville)

2019 U.S. Under-22 Women’s Select Team
            D Emily Brown
            D Patti Marshall
            D Madeline Wethington
            F Taylor Heise
            F Taylor Wente
            F Grace Zumwinkle

GO GOPHERS!
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Present and future Gophers (and other Minnesotans) had a great start in the opening games of both series:

U18: Canada 5, USA 4
              Danielle Burgen (Chisago Lakes) - 2 Goals + 1 Assist
              Abbey Murphy* (Evergreen Park, IL) - 1 Assist
              Peyton Hemp* (Andover) - 1 Assist

*Gopher recruit

U22: USA 4, Canada 3 (OT)
              Grace Zumwinkle* (Excelsior) - 1 Goal + 1 Assist
              Taylor Heise* (Lake City) - 1 Goal
              Natalie Snodgrass (Eagan) - 1 Goal
              Sydney Brodt (North Oaks) - 1 Assist
              Gabby Hughes (Lino Lakes) - 1 Assist

* Current Gopher

Also, good article on the impact our Minnesota women are having on the national stage:
              https://www.startribune.com/minnesot.../?refresh=true

Comment

Zoom Boom, Snodgrass, and Hughes were the best line for Team USA tonight.

Team USA U18 had way too many giveaways in the earlier game and I wasn't a fan of the how the lines were set up. Hopefully they will pick it up tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Present and future Gophers (and other Minnesotans) had a great start in the opening games of both series:

U18: Canada 5, USA 4
                  Danielle Burgen (Chisago Lakes) - 2 Goals + 1 Assist
                  Abbey Murphy* (Evergreen Park, IL) - 1 Assist
                  Peyton Hemp* (Andover) - 1 Assist

Anne Cherkowski* had three assists for Canada.

*Gopher recruit

U22: USA 4, Canada 3 (OT)
                  Grace Zumwinkle* (Excelsior) - 1 Goal + 1 Assist
                  Taylor Heise* (Lake City) - 1 Goal
                  Natalie Snodgrass (Eagan) - 1 Goal
                  Sydney Brodt (North Oaks) - 1 Assist
                  Gabby Hughes (Lino Lakes) - 1 Assist

Amy Potomak* had an assist for Canada.

* Current Gopher

Also, good article on the impact our Minnesota women are having on the national stage:
                  https://www.startribune.com/minnesot.../?refresh=true
                  Additions in bold.

Comment

Better U18 results this afternoon as Team USA wins 3-2 in overtime.

Abbey Murphy with the tying goal in the third period with 2 seconds left and the overtime winner (assisted by Maggie Nicholson).

I liked that Murphy was put back on a line with Makenna Webster today.

Comment

And in the U22's Taylor Heise, with two assists and five shots, again figured prominently in the Americans' 4-2 win. Incoming frosh D Madeline Wethington also with an assist.

Comment

Better U18 results this afternoon as Team USA wins 3-2 in overtime.

Abbey Murphy with the tying goal in the third period with 2 seconds left and the overtime winner (assisted by Maggie Nicholson).

I liked that Murphy was put back on a line with Makenna Webster today.
                        Who wouldn't like their player being on the same line with Webster?

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          Probably wanted Murphy & Huber together in game 1 since they have terrific chemistry as linemates at Mission & which will continue at Minnesota once they’re together again. It was only a matter of time before Murphy found the back of the net...and boy did she 😉
                          Great couple of games by the youngest player, Burgen, as well!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            And in the U22's Taylor Heise, with two assists and five shots, again figured prominently in the Americans' 4-2 win.
                            I believe that Heise has a good chance of taking some big steps forward this year. Even though she was third on the team in points last year, it looked like she was often a victim of circumstance and would get juggled based on how others were performing. For example, every time a Pot or Pan was slumping and the deck needed to be shuffled, Heise was uprooted from a line that was just starting to gel. At the end, she wound up on a unit with Williamson and Woken that didn't really click. This year, there should be more options that would feature Heise, either replacing Schammel on Wente's line (which likely doesn't happen if they prefer her at center) or inheriting the Potomaks as wings. She also had good chemistry with Oden when they were together, so I see there being options. My guess is that the first look will be with the Potomaks, but we'll have to see. IMO, the key will be to find the right person to take Schammel's slot, if the plan is to keep Zum and Wente together. If I ask myself who is most similar to Schammel as a player, it is likely Sarah, although she would no doubt like to play her final season with her sister.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              That combination (missing O'Brien this year for whatever reason) has been dynamic with the Human Highlight Film producing quite a few clutch goals including two yesterday.

Comment

... (missing O'Brien this year for whatever reason) ...
                                O'Brien is a 2001, and there aren't any players born in 2001 on the roster. They must be too old to compete in World's come January.

Comment

Working...
                                X