Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Roster spots are zero sum; if you think Dunne should be on the roster, who do think should not be?
    Take the four NCAA D on the roster, add Jincy and now pick your top 4. Jincy is in my top 4 and she would not be my 4th pick.

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
      Roster spots are zero sum; if you think Dunne should be on the roster, who do think should not be?
      A couple of past or current bc defensemen not named Keller...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        A couple of past or current bc defensemen not named Keller...
        Bingo and a young Badger.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Take the four NCAA D on the roster, add Jincy and now pick your top 4. Jincy is in my top 4 and she would not be my 4th pick.
          how many gold medal teams have you coached? There are always going to be arguments at that level because the differences are so small. Peoples opinions influence their views. I have no idea if Dunn would be in the top 6, my hockey eye is not that good. She looks good enough to me but then so do a couple of others not wearing maroon & gold.

tangentially related tidbit. Youth hockey in MN has gotten so intense that I am aware of districts closing tryouts to parents & the public. They are bringing in coaches from other districts to rate & rank players so no parent can influence the tryouts or claim that the coaches played favorites. These are arguments that can't be 'won'
          Last edited by ne7minder; 11-02-2018, 08:44 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            how many gold medal teams have you coached? There are always going to be arguments at that level because the differences are so small. Peoples opinions influence their views. I have no idea if Dunn would be in the top 6, my hockey eye is not that good. She looks good enough to me but then so do a couple of others not wearing maroon & gold.

tangentially related tidbit. Youth hockey in MN has gotten so intense that I am aware of districts closing tryouts to parents & the public. They are bringing in coaches from other districts to rate & rank players so no parent can influence the tryouts or claim that the coaches played favorites. These are arguments that can't be 'won'
            Quite a few gold medals unfortunately all at the minor hockey level. I am a fan much like you are. Jincy is a terrific player and in my view she is superior to some players that were selected for this year’s team. My view will be challenged and I get that. Maybe the parents that you refer to were in attendance at the tryout and influenced the selection!

When I watch the Buckeyes play I am always impressed with how she controls the play, her skill level and the fact that she plays more than half the game and always looks fresh. Wish she were on our team.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              Quite a few gold medals unfortunately all at the minor hockey level. I am a fan much like you are. Jincy is a terrific player and in my view she is superior to some players that were selected for this year’s team. My view will be challenged and I get that. Maybe the parents that you refer to were in attendance at the tryout and influenced the selection!

When I watch the Buckeyes play I am always impressed with how she controls the play, her skill level and the fact that she plays more than half the game and always looks fresh. Wish she were on our team.
              A bit of a confession that I had hoped she would have chosen to attend Minnesota but alas, that didn't happen (we do get to see her younger sister here in couple of years) so kudos to Ohio State for being able to land her. Definitely of the same opinion you have of her ability.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                Best player in the NCAA.
                You need to get out and watch some games other than OS. She is not even close on being the top D. Last year she was their second best D on that team. I do admit she was the best 13-14-15 yr old girl I had ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
                  She is not even close on being the top D. Last year she was their second best D on that team.
                  Let me guess. Your daughter was the other D? That statement just lost you all credibility.

I have not seen OSU play this year. I did watch the frozen 4 semi final last year and Dunne was easily the best player in that game, goalies not included. She was vastly better than Harmon who won first team All American over Dunne. As did Baldwin. Dunne was the better player over Baldwin in all head-to-head matchups.

I have not seen a D control a game as calmly as she does for a number of years. She makes it look too easy.

Sometimes where you play or team success overrides individual glory. OSU is where they are because of Dunne. Remove her, OSU is a middle of the road team. Harmon and Baldwin are gone this year and those teams have not lost a beat.

Comment

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                    Let me guess. Your daughter was the other D? That statement just lost you all credibility.

I have not seen OSU play this year. I did watch the frozen 4 semi final last year and Dunne was easily the best player in that game, goalies not included. She was vastly better than Harmon who won first team All American over Dunne. As did Baldwin. Dunne was the better player over Baldwin in all head-to-head matchups.

I have not seen a D control a game as calmly as she does for a number of years. She makes it look too easy.

Sometimes where you play or team success overrides individual glory. OSU is where they are because of Dunne. Remove her, OSU is a middle of the road team. Harmon and Baldwin are gone this year and those teams have not lost a beat.
                    You have not been watching an Clarkson games this season. Disagree with you on Harmon. Harmon is gone and Clarkson is not the same defensively this year. Just ask Sauve. Harmon not only was great on the defensive end she excelled advancing the puck up ice and was the quarterback on the Clarkson Power play and she played on the PK unit. No way Dunne was "VASTLY" better than Harmon.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Comparing Dunne to Harmon or possibly other defensemen that are not in the mix for the team USA roster doesn't make any sense in the context for what Puckdrop14 was originally asking. Just sayin...

Comment

Ohio State took game one tonight by a final score of 3-2. St. Cloud jumped out to a 2-0 lead with two goals late in the first period from Julia Tylke and Jenniina Nylund. The goals were scored only 14 seconds apart. The Buckeyes were not phased and came out firing in the second period, tying the game on goals from Emma Maltais and Maddy Field. The second period ended with the game tied at 2-2. Ohio State came out and took the lead for good in the third period when Maddy Field scored her second goal of the night. Ohio State dominated the shots on goal 45-20, but credit the Huskies outstanding goalie, Janine Alder, for keeping SCSU in the game with 42 saves on the night. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 18 of the 20 shots she faced. Each team had two power plays, but the penalty killers won those battles tonight as neither team could score a power play goal. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST. For those coming tomorrow, there is a home football game, so be prepared to pay $20 to park, and the parking will be a ways away from the OSU Ice Rink. Good crowd tonight ... box score says 723. One other note from tonight ... it is always nice to see former Buckeye Dana Rasmussen back here. She played one season for the Buckeyes in the 2015-16 season, then transferred to St. Cloud, but she will always be a Buckeye to us!

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 2nd
                          Ohio State 3
                          St. Cloud State 2

Steady As She Goes
                          The Buckeyes were cruising along at a steady clip, out-shooting the Huskies by a comfortable margin. Then the Storm Cloud popped up with a shocking suddenness. In a span of just 14 seconds, lightning struck twice in the same place. Only two days into the eleventh month. Had the Gales of November come early?

And what of the Ohio State ship? She might have tipped over. She might have capsized. But she didn't. There was no panic. Yes, the Buckeyes were significantly blown off course by the sudden squall. But they simply righted the ship and reset course. Calmer waters were soon found. The Buckeyes were once again out-shooting the Huskies by a fair margin.

It proved to be a long voyage. But the Buckeyes successfully reached port.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Janine Alder
                          Janine stopped 42 of the 45 Buckeye shots. Nothing wrong with that save percentage. Early on it appeared that rebound control might be an issue; Alder caught a significant break when a fluttering puck landed harmlessly on the right half-moon. But Janine seemed to get stronger as the game went on. It took every bit of the Buckeyes' steady persistence to finally break through.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Jincy Dunne
                          It doesn't always show up on the scoresheet. But in all of Women's Hockey, there is no greater steadying influence than Jincy Dunne. I want her on my team every time. It's great to have those strong -- yet soft -- hands on the ship's wheel.

#3 Star: (tie) Julia Tylke, St. Cloud State; and Jenniina Nylund, St. Cloud State
                          Tonight's Minnesota Twin Lighting Bolts. Both scored on great individual efforts. After teammates won a couple of battles behind the St. Cloud net, Julia carried the puck the length of the ice to open the scoring. Bobby Orr would have been proud. Jenniina didn't have quite as far to travel, picking up a neutral zone turnover. But her stiff, quick release shot was stunningly effective.

#2 Star: Madison Field, Ohio State
                          The Most Determined Buckeye came through again; this time with both the tying and the game-winning goals. The GWG was a bang-bang-bang pinball play. Initial shot by Liz Schepers. Play kept alive by Sara Saekkinen. Puck willed into the net by Field.

Madison is a first class finisher.

#1 Star: Emma Maltais, Ohio State
                          Great backcheck! Who was that masked woman? Emma? Again?

Maltais certainly played the whole 200 feet tonight. St. Cloud did have a few promising rushes. But as often as not, Emma caught up with the play and shut them down.

Now, about those offensive contributions. The turning point of the game was the first Buckeye goal, a long dash by Maltais which effectively matched the Tylke tally. The equally crucial tying goal came when Maltais & Field won the puck behind the St. Cloud net, with Madison scoring on a modified wrap around.

Up Next: Rematch With The Huskies @ 3:07 PM. This will complete the hat trick of Football Saturdays. With Football kicking off around 12:00 Noon, getting to the Ice Rink should be relatively easy. The outbound commute shouldn't be too bad either, as we'll be playing our 3rd Period during the worst of the Football exodus.

Confidential To Paetyn Levis: Thought you had that first one on the breakaway! But fear not; just keep plugging away. It'll come.

Comment

Thanks, as always, Pgb for your Three Stars of the Game! I will patiently await your Three Stars from today's game! I am going to take an educated guess and say Charly Dahlquist just might get one of those stars!

Ohio State finished the sweep today by an identical score of 3-2, although this one was different last night's as it was the Buckeyes jumping out to leads and the Huskies playing catch-up in this one. Ohio State's Tatum Skaggs opened the scoring in the first period to give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead and that would be the score at the first intermission. In the second period, St. Cloud's Julia Tylke made a nice play around the net and got a nifty backhand shot past Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli to knot things up at 1-1. The Bucks came back with a couple goals of their own to take a 3-1 lead. Maddy Field scored her third goal of the weekend to put the Buckeyes up 2-1, then Charly Dahlquist ignited the crowd with a shorthanded goal late in the second period to put Ohio State up 3-1. Dahlquist's goal turned out to be the game-winner as St. Cloud would get a goal late in the third period from Hallie Theodosopoulos to pull within 3-2. That is how it ended. As was the case with last night's game, the Buckeyes dominated the shots on goal by the final count of 39-19. St. Cloud goaltender Janine Alder stopped 36 of the 39 shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 17 of the 19 shots she faced. Both teams will be back in action next weekend. The Buckeyes will travel to Bemidji for a pair of games against the Beavers. St. Cloud will travel to St. Charles, MO, for a couple games at Lindenwood.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, November 3rd
                              Ohio State 3
                              St. Cloud State 2

Buckeyes Stay The Course, Complete The Sweep

Same Strategies. Same Storm Clouds. Same Buckeye Hands On Deck. Same Final Score. But A Rather Different Voyage.

The Buckeyes again outshot the Huskies by a fair margin. But this time no comeback was needed; Ohio State never trailed. The biggest storm squall came near the end of the game. OSU took a 4 on 4 situation a bit too casually, allowing SCSU to climb back to within a single goal. From there, a furious St. Cloud rally narrowly missed tying the game.

But once again the Buckeyes successfully reached port.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

St. Cloud State Honorable Mention: Julia Tylke
                              It's fair to say Julia was my favorite Husky this weekend. The Senior Forward's brilliant individual effort on the first Husky goal was highlight reel quality. Stole the puck, launched a shot, recovered the blocked shot, beat the 'D,' pulled the puck across her body, and scored on a nifty backhand. All in continuous, fluid motion. Tylke cracked yesterday's Star List; and I decided to recognize the St. Cloud 'D' with a Star this time. But Julia's wow factor goal needed to be mentioned. Honorably mentioned.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Sophie Jaques
                              Sophie gave us a high compete level all weekend long. On Saturday her 6 shots led all players. The freshman from Toronto has quickly become a mainstay on the Buckeye Defense.

#3 Star: (tie) Kenzie Wylie, St. Cloud State; and Abby Theissen, St. Cloud State
                              #19 & #28 stood tall and strong on the St. Cloud Blue Line. The top Husky 'D' pair wasn't on the ice for any of the Buckeye goals. Each had a pair of blocked shots. Individually & collectively they were a big reason this weekend's games were close.

#2 Star: (tie) Charly Dahlquist, Ohio State and Madison Field, Ohio State
                              When the Intense Dahlquist and the Determined Field get to work, it's a glorious thing. Each provided a vital goal in this one. In this space we'll cover Field's Go Ahead Goal.

Though technically scored at even strength, it came off a power play set, with Jincy Dunne quarterbacking at the point. When the puck got to Emma Maltais, she fired a diagonal, cross-ice pass to Madison in the left circle. That play is really designed for a quick release shot at the back door. But the shot wasn't there, so Field carried the puck up high, then completed a full semi-circle to the right side. The transfixed, flat-footed Husky defense could only watch as Madison beat the St. Cloud goalie on the short side, just inside the right post.

#1 Star: Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                              This time Jincy showed up on the scoresheet, with two key assists. But just as importantly, her calm, steady leadership was once again at the heart of the Buckeye victory. In this match-up, this year, the Buckeyes are the more talented team. But relax just a little, and the hardworking Huskies will make you pay.

Now, about that GWG. The play began with a defensive zone D2D pass from Madison Bizal to Jincy. From there Dunne sent an absolutely perfect breakout pass off the wall, hitting Maltais in stride. As is her wont, Emma took off on a majestic dash up the right wing. Precision centering pass from Emma; precision finish from Charly. Yes, we've seen this show before. I promise, it will never get old!

Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji State.

Confidential To Hannah Potrykus: You and your loyal fans consistently bring great energy to the Ice Rink. It's been a pleasure watching you progress as a player over the course of your career. Just wanted to say thanks, in case this turns out to be your last appearance on OSU Ice. Or, perhaps we'll see you for the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Now, about that GWG. The play began with a defensive zone D2D pass from Madison Bizal to Jincy.
                                Gotta love those D2D passes!

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Up Next: Road Trip To Bemidji State.
                                Watch out for overconfidence: the Beavers just might be the best zero-win team in the country.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X