This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: TV: One Person's Trash...

I watched The Great Hack on Netflix last night. For those not familiar, it's a documentary about Cambridge Analytica and the psychological operations they conducted on the Brexit vote, the 2016 US Presidential election, and some smaller elections around the globe, primarily using data gleaned from Facebook accounts.

The movie is certainly interesting, but I thought it could have gone a little further. Once we get past the nastiness of Facebook just selling off data on its members, I think there is a very interesting question about the appropriateness of using that data to form a profile of each of us individually and then using it to try to change our behavior. I'll admit I'm kind of torn on it. At a very basic level that's really what marketing and advertising are all about. Trying to get us to change our behavior by appealing to certain likes, dislikes, fears, etc...

The movie doesn't really delve into that question at all, although it seems implied that the director thinks that such operations are generally dangerous or bad.

The movie itself though is certainly worth a watch.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Dear White People S3.

Took a bit to get into the groove this season, but remains a decent show. Got about halfway through it, there are some really raw moments, tackling some social stuff with no apologies. I would still recommend it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Caught a couple eps of the new season of GLOW (released today on Netflix): It's still solid. Not great/must see, but IMO very good. The Maron/Brie chemistry still drives the show, and it's a really good chemistry.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Haven't seen the Rocko's Modern Life special on Netflix yet, but from what I heard, they did a positive transgender story arc and I am so happy.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Watching When They See Us...cops suck.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

GLOW S3, Ep 5: I was in tears laughing so hard.
              S3, Ep 6: Whoa, got a bit dark, but made for solid tv.
              I think this show SHOULD be done after this season, it doesn't know what to make of itself right now, but it's good watching. I hope it ends before it gets stale.

Comment

Looking forward to starting GLOW S3.

The Rook has been fantastic through 6 episodes - waiting to start #7.

The Terror S2 is out. Hoping they don't have another season that is nearly perfect only to have one of most inexplicable endings of any series I can recall. S2 is like TD or AHS in that it's completely unrelated to S1.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Looking forward to starting GLOW S3.

The Rook has been fantastic through 6 episodes - waiting to start #7.

The Terror S2 is out. Hoping they don't have another season that is nearly perfect only to have one of most inexplicable endings of any series I can recall. S2 is like TD or AHS in that it's completely unrelated to S1.
                  Just finished GLOW S3. They might be able to squeeze one more season out of it, but it better be good. It's gonna take some really talented writing if they're gonna try. I almost hope they don't, as S3 ended on a good note with all the characters' storylines.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    Just finished GLOW S3. They might be able to squeeze one more season out of it, but it better be good. It's gonna take some really talented writing if they're gonna try. I almost hope they don't, as S3 ended on a good note with all the characters' storylines.
                    The real thing only lasted a few years. I haven't seen anything more than the trailer on Netflix, but I think they're running up against the end of the actual GLOW's lifespan already.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The real thing only lasted a few years. I haven't seen anything more than the trailer on Netflix, but I think they're running up against the end of the actual GLOW's lifespan already.
                      S3 went mainly into the fiction category, the characters developed nicely. It was more about them from a personal aspect than what really happened back then, hence my opinion on another season.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        Korea lasted 3 years MASH lasted 11.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Really enjoyed the NBC show The Inbetween this summer. Yeah, it was your typical hour long police drama on network TV, but it had an interesting premise (seeing the dead) and the story was interesting and the lead actress was great. I hope it comes back next summer with a new season. There was a small cliffhanger at the end, but the main story for the season was completed which was nice in case it doesn't make it.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I dont have netflix, but im interested in the new Dark Crystal series thats coming in a week.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I know we are WAY late in finding it, by my wife and I started watching "Dexter" recently. Into Season 3 (Jimmy Smits) . Really enjoying it.
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                                I know we are WAY late in finding it, by my wife and I started watching "Dexter" recently. Into Season 3 (Jimmy Smits) . Really enjoying it.
                                It's a fantastic show until the last episode of Season 5 (IMO). After which I bailed. Season 5 may have been my favorite up until then. Then it became my least. You may last longer than that.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X