Which Region Attracts You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Region Attracts You?

No, this isn't a poll about the human body.

Where would you like to move? For purposes of this poll, imagine having no family or work attachments to your current location.

It's anonymous, and you can choose more than one region.

Feel free to flame me for including certain states in the "wrong" region. (Iowa, Missouri, and Oklahoma are tough to categorize as belonging solely to one region, for example).
    New England (CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
    18.56%
    Mid-Atlantic (DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA)
    11.34%
    Midwest (IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, OH, WI)
    12.37%
    South (AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MO, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV)
    1.03%
    Great Plains (KS, NE, ND, OK, SD)
    1.03%
    Southwest (AZ, NM, TX)
    5.15%
    Mountain West (CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY)
    16.49%
    Pacific West (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
    20.62%
    Outside the USA
    13.40%
    Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Re: Which Region Attracts You?

First!

I have family in the Pacific NW and have traveled there many times. I've always said that if I didn't live in the Upper Midwest that would be my second choice. Oregon Coast, Seattle, Spokane, etc.

Comment

I love New England, and all my family is here.

However, I also thoroughly enjoyed Colorado the 2 times I've visited, and could see myself living out there.

Half my mom's family is from Oregon, and I've been told it's beautiful, so I am intrigued, but having never even visited, I can't say I'd want to live in the Pac NW.

Toronto calls to me.

Really, I'd be happy pretty much any place with two qualifications:
      1) has a winter
      2) isn't The South
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Alaska for me: mountains, ocean, great camping, cross country skiing, wilderness, and few people - yet still with Division I hockey. The older I get, the more seclusion I seek.

Mountain West in second place.

Comment

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
          Feel free to flame me for including certain states in the "wrong" region. (Iowa, Missouri, and Oklahoma are tough to categorize as belonging solely to one region, for example).
          You also forgot DC.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            You also forgot DC.
            No, I only included regions that people would want to live in!

Georgetown does have some great bars, however, I'll grant you that.

Comment

OK, since you asked . . . VA is not in the same region as Mississippi. Even Richmond and Norfolk are more mid-Atlantic than they are dixieland.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                OK, since you asked . . . VA is not in the same region as Mississippi. Even Richmond and Norfolk are more mid-Atlantic than they are Dixieland.
                I'll be the first to admit I'm stuck in the past. As a military history instructor, I'll always consider Robert E. Lee's state to be part of the South!

I am curious as to how Virginians themselves would classify their state.

Comment

I'll be the first to admit I'm stuck in the past. As a military history instructor, I'll always consider Robert E. Lee's state to be part of the South!

I am curious as to how Virginians themselves would classify their state.
                  When I lived in NY, I considered VA part of the south. It's south of the Mason-Dixon Line, right?

After living in VA for 7 years, I consider it Mid-Atlantic

Comment

I have no doubt the South is going to own this poll.

Mountain West for me, Pacific West a close second.
                    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

I wouldn't want to move ANYwhere, that's how much I love MN. However, if the deal was sweet enough etc etc, CO is about the only other place I'd live. It's just trading lakes for mountains.

And * the south. No way I could ever live there. Ever.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Alaska for me: mountains, ocean, great camping, cross country skiing, wilderness, and few people - yet still with Division I hockey. The older I get, the more seclusion I seek.
                        I'm loving it here, BTW - I absolutely get how people fall in love and don't want to leave. I was hooked when I first saw the mountains coming from the airport. Went through the tunnel in Whittier last weekend, and will probably day trip it to Seward at some point this summer. Might do some trail riding in my new toy as well

---

I've bounced all over probably more than anyone in my family history. Born just outside Saginaw, MI, college in the UP with tons of roadtripping, did a year in Cheyenne, WY, and am enjoying life in Anchorage, AK at the moment.

My absolute dream area is the Twin Cities. Fun, smart city with lots to do, college hockey nearby, winter climate, and I have a huge amount of my friends from college there. I'm not a big city kind of person, but I'd live in Minneapolis for sure.

Overall, I prefer colder climates over warm, since I've been around it the majority of my life in MI. And I must have snow. The UP spoiled me. I know I kvetched about getting 20 inches of snow in October in Cheyenne, but trading my Olds Alero for a Jeep Wrangler has given me a sunnier outlook in that regard
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                          My absolute dream area is the Twin Cities. Fun, smart city with lots to do, college hockey nearby, winter climate, and I have a huge amount of my friends from college there. I'm not a big city kind of person, but I'd live in Minneapolis for sure.
                          There are many a place around here, like where I am, for example, where you are literally 20 minutes from farmland/20 minutes from downtown. Heck, if live more in the St Paul area, you could be 20/20, and 20 from WI if you wanted (although I don't understand why you would).

And as much as I hate the cold, winter isn't the same without cold and snow.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I could easily live in lots of different places. New England, mid-atlantic, midwest, pacific west and outside of the US.
                            The midwest would be my first choice but living on the coast would be pretty cool too. (especially Alaska, Oregon or Washington state).
                            I could easily live in Canada or Japan as well.
                            A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                            Originally posted by MadCityRich
                            He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                            Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                            "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                              I'm loving it here, BTW - I absolutely get how people fall in love and don't want to leave. I was hooked when I first saw the mountains coming from the airport. Went through the tunnel in Whittier last weekend, and will probably day trip it to Seward at some point this summer. Might do some trail riding in my new toy as well
                              I love "Los Anchorage"! The Great Land. My last trip there was in Oct 2009 - most days a little rainy, no snow yet - and it was great. We went to Girdwood and hiked around the top, but we didn't go all the way around to Seward.

Where do you go for beer and society? We spent time at:
                              Chilkoot Charlie's
                              Humpy's (I got thrown out of there - or rather, denied entrance!)
                              Glacier Brewhouse ("Where Alaskans meet Alaskans")
                              Moose's Tooth (the one on Seward)
                              Peanut Farm Sports Bar
                              and some restaurant downtown where they served all you can eat crab legs for $15 (from 3:00-5:00 PM), big ones, too, and they kept them coming!

Great town. I want to go back in early March for the Iditarod start. Perhaps in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                              X