Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anna Maria College adding hockey and a few other things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anna Maria College adding hockey and a few other things.

Originally posted by OhioMule View Post
    Maybe someone else on here can offer a clarification. I sure don't get it.
    Don't get what? Why they can't play NCAA hockey on-campus or what their ACHA affiliation. Why they can't play in the NCAA I have no idea. It seems like kind of an obnoxious donation to say "here I'll build you a skating rink but you're not allowed to play varsity hockey in it." It's especially stupid when you consider that their club team plays there, so there is intercollegiate hockey in the building, albeit at a much lower level. If they really wanted to start varsity hockey, they could always play at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee which is about a 15 minute walk down the street from their campus.

As for their club team, the NECHA is a conference in the ACHA, the major governing body for club hockey in the United States. The NECHA is divided into three divisions roughly based on the level of play of their teams. The top two, the Patriot and American divisions, play at the ACHA DII level while the Colonial division plays in ACHA DIII. Each division in turn is divided into East and West to make travel and scheduling easier.
    Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
    University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
      Don't get what? Why they can't play NCAA hockey on-campus or what their ACHA affiliation.
      I don't get why they can play intercollegiate hockey in the ACHA, but not in the NCAA. Maybe the story about the rink is just Fan Forum rumor and it's just that the Bates College administration doesn't want to take the next step. That, of course, is their prerogative. Back in the 60's I was at a football game at Trinity and members of their club hockey team were circulating throughout the stands with a collection jar to support the team. The guys were talking about going varsity. I gave them a buck and look where they are now .

BTW, I'm another New Englander living in Ohio - not an hour from Columbus. I love streaming the games from northern New England and imagining I'm sitting in the stands of some frigid old hockey barn.
      Last edited by OhioMule; 12-29-2017, 08:45 AM.
      Mule Train, 2018 NESCAC Champs, made it to the Frozen Four

Comment

Great for more college hockey teams but it seems a bit late in the recruiting cycle for AMC to start men's, and especially women's, hockey for 2018-19 season.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
          Great for more college hockey teams but it seems a bit late in the recruiting cycle for AMC to start men's, and especially women's, hockey for 2018-19 season.
          Maybe they plan to emulate Endicott by filling half of their roster with DI transfers?
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Maybe they plan to emulate Endicott by filling half of their roster with DI transfers?
            The key is an on campus rink AND administration commitment to excellence in athletics AND the classroom.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              gets ya there fa$t

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The key is an on campus rink AND administration commitment to excellence in athletics AND the classroom.
                If they key is an on campus rink, then how have St. Norbert, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Eau Claire all won national championships in the last five years?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nubs View Post
                  If they key is an on campus rink, then how have St. Norbert, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Eau Claire all won national championships in the last five years?
                  All three of those teams have had tremendous student body support for dozens of years. Very few, if any other colleges playing at the D3 level with off campus rinks get that kind of support from the student body.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                    All three of those teams have had tremendous student body support for dozens of years. Very few, if any other colleges playing at the D3 level with off campus rinks get that kind of support from the student body.
                    Obviously you haven't been to the Cornerstone in a while. Or to Hobbs when St. Norbert or Stevens Point isn't in town.

Of course, talent and coaching have had little to do with them winning national titles I guess...
                    Last edited by Sir Nubs; 01-12-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I think St. Norbert is a different matter and certainly a case study that private New England schools should study.

But the UW system has dominated DIII athletics across sports. Off the top of my head, UW-Whitewater has won 6 national titles in football the past decade, along with titles in baseball, basketball, and rugby. UWSP has won titles in hockey and basketball. Eau Claire has won in hockey. Oshkosh hasn't won a title but played for a title in football last year, and made it to the semifinals this year (which in the DIII football landscape, dominated by two teams, is quite the accomplishment).

Not really sure the reason the Wisconsin state schools do so well (might have something to do with them being larger, public schools), but I don't think they're places that small, private, liberal arts schools can look to for a blueprint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
                      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                        I think St. Norbert is a different matter and certainly a case study that private New England schools should study.

But the UW system has dominated DIII athletics across sports. Off the top of my head, UW-Whitewater has won 6 national titles in football the past decade, along with titles in baseball, basketball, and rugby. UWSP has won titles in hockey and basketball. Eau Claire has won in hockey. Oshkosh hasn't won a title but played for a title in football last year, and made it to the semifinals this year (which in the DIII football landscape, dominated by two teams, is quite the accomplishment).

Not really sure the reason the Wisconsin state schools do so well (might have something to do with them being larger, public schools), but I don't think they're places that small, private, liberal arts schools can look to for a blueprint.

I believe the original statement by "joecct" was that an on-campus arena and administrative support were the key reasons to being good in D3 hockey. I just stated the fact that St. Norbert, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Eau Claire do not play in on-campus arenas but have won national championships. Five out of eight this decade as a matter of fact. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Comment

I believe the original statement by "joecct" was that an on-campus arena and administrative support were the key reasons to being good in D3 hockey. I just stated the fact that St. Norbert, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Eau Claire do not play in on-campus arenas but have won national championships. Five out of eight this decade as a matter of fact. Nothing more. Nothing less.
                          Fair enough.

Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                            In my four years as a student at SNC, they won three national championships, and I can only recall a single time that the student section was full.
                            5x NCAA D3 Ice Hockey Champion: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                            2x Super Bowl Champion: XLII, XLVI

Comment

Working...
                            X