Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey - 2018 Off-Season - Hope or Despair?

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Luciapet out as Goofer coach. Not sure if retired or fired.
    tDon swims with the fishes, eh?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      tDon swims with the fishes, eh?
      I heard he woke up with a horse head next to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRVYg2Jni0
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        I heard he woke up with a horse head next to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccRVYg2Jni0
        At least he didn't get a bullet in his eye while on the massage table.

Comment

Well this is something...

ESPN put together a ranking of "Ultimate Lineups in NCAA Men's Hockey History"

Basically, put together a team of former NCAA players based on their NHL career and see which school can put together the best squad.

I'll let you go through and see where they ranked which schools, but as a teaser here is UW's squad:
          Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Scott Mellanby
          Chris Chelios, Ryan Suter
          Curtis Joseph

Alternates
          Gary Suter on D
          Mike Richter in G

Special Mention
          Mark Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            Well this is something...

ESPN put together a ranking of "Ultimate Lineups in NCAA Men's Hockey History"

Basically, put together a team of former NCAA players based on their NHL career and see which school can put together the best squad.

I'll let you go through and see where they ranked which schools, but as a teaser here is UW's squad:
            Dany Heatley, Joe Pavelski, Scott Mellanby
            Chris Chelios, Ryan Suter
            Curtis Joseph

Alternates
            Gary Suter on D
            Mike Richter in G

Special Mention
            Mark Johnson
            We're number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooot! What jumped out at me was how pathetic MN's starting goalie was.

For the 3rd D I'd like to see Rafalski get some consideration, though G Suter was before my time to compare. What do the really old farts on this thread think or Suter vs Rafalski vs Driver?

Comment

We're number 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whooooooooot! What jumped out at me was how pathetic MN's starting goalie was.

For the 3rd D I'd like to see Rafalski get some consideration, though G Suter was before my time to compare. What do the really old farts on this thread think or Suter vs Rafalski vs Driver?
              Wow, great question. I saw all 3 play and thinking about it....it's a tough question!
              If I remember, Bruce was more of a QB on the blue line and had to share the spotlight with Chelios. I can see his stick WAY over his head when ripping a slapper from the point.

Gary was all around great like Ryan and had that, well....Suter gritty, tough, edge.

Brian wasn't very big and played a more Euro style on D; more points & movement than drilling guys.

I guess I just classified myself as a "...really old fart...", Tim.

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

This is no way to go about getting a response, Tim.

And yet... here we are. hmm...

IMO Gary Suter is the best Badger alum at D, which is not the same as the best D as a Badger. Suter is one of only a handful of D to win the Calder from the Blue line, and despite playing 500 less games, he has more goals than Cheli. His offensive numbers were just ridiculous, and he had more than enough Suter toughness to hold up in his end.

This is the order:

1. Gary Suter
                2. Chris Chelios
                3. Brian Rafalski
                4. Bruce Driver
                5. Ryan Suter
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  Wow, great question. I saw all 3 play and thinking about it....it's a tough question!
                  If I remember, Bruce was more of a QB on the blue line and had to share the spotlight with Chelios. I can see his stick WAY over his head when ripping a slapper from the point.

Gary was all around great like Ryan and had that, well....Suter gritty, tough, edge.

Brian wasn't very big and played a more Euro style on D; more points & movement than drilling guys.

I guess I just classified myself as a "...really old fart...", Tim.
                  Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                  This is no way to go about getting a response, Tim.

And yet... here we are. hmm...

IMO Gary Suter is the best Badger alum at D, which is not the same as the best D as a Badger. Suter is one of only a handful of D to win the Calder from the Blue line, and despite playing 500 less games, he has more goals than Cheli. His offensive numbers were just ridiculous, and he had more than enough Suter toughness to hold up in his end.

This is the order:

1. Gary Suter
                  2. Chris Chelios
                  3. Brian Rafalski
                  4. Bruce Driver
                  5. Ryan Suter
                  Maybe I should have said "Elder Statesmen" instead of old farts. As you well know sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain. Anyway, you were two I was hoping would respond, and Solo too. Hey, I'm cracking the big 50 this year, but I'm still a young pup.

Comment

A few new scheduling tidbits from Baggot's last article for the season...
                    Home vs MTU, BC, Denver, USNTDP (1)
                    Away vs NoDak and Clarkson (1)/St Lawrence (1)
                    That would put us at 24 conference games, 10 non-con games, 1 Exhibition

We already knew about the away games, and knew about the BC games. I had not heard anything about Denver or MTU visiting. We had tried to schedule MTU recently but things got messed up with ND coming in and upping our conference game total.
                    I hope that we get another 4 year rotation with Denver and someone else (likely CC, maybe Air Force).
                    I would expect the MTU games to be a 1 for 1, or maybe part of a longer arrangement with them and NMU.
                    Hopefully more details come out.

If anyone is interested, I've been keeping track of what we know about future scheduling here

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      A few new scheduling tidbits from Baggot's last article for the season...
                      Home vs MTU, BC, Denver, USNTDP (1)
                      Away vs NoDak and Clarkson (1)/St Lawrence (1)
                      That would put us at 24 conference games, 10 non-con games, 1 Exhibition

We already knew about the away games, and knew about the BC games. I had not heard anything about Denver or MTU visiting. We had tried to schedule MTU recently but things got messed up with ND coming in and upping our conference game total.
                      I hope that we get another 4 year rotation with Denver and someone else (likely CC, maybe Air Force).
                      I would expect the MTU games to be a 1 for 1, or maybe part of a longer arrangement with them and NMU.
                      Hopefully more details come out.

If anyone is interested, I've been keeping track of what we know about future scheduling here
                      Thanks for the chart, awesome! Pretty good n/c schedule there.

I read that Keegan Ford injured his knee at the midpoint of the season, he just can't get any traction in his college career.

Comment

This is a very tough question. I didn't start going to games until 84-85 when my dad first brought me along so I saw Gary Suter but not Driver and Chelios.

Based only on thise I saw play I'd say

1. Gary Suter
                        2. Brian Rafalski
                        3. Ryan Suter
                        4. Mark Oseicki
                        5. David Tanabe

From tapes of old games I can tell Driver and Chelios would be top 3-4 easily but I'd also say Rafalski had a nose for creating plays and a vision that's not teachable, he had several opponents scrambling to cover his home run stretch passes which were always breathtaking to see as he tried to spring the O on a breakaway.

#3 is one of my all-time favorite badgers. It would be great to see Rafalski visit Madison for a game.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Watched Grant Besse pot his 30th of the season for the Norfolk Admirals vs. the Florida Everblades in a 7-2 loss on Wednesday night. 30 goals leads all rookies and puts Grant tied for 4th in ECHL goals. Probably his last ECHL goal for the year as Grant was scratched last night in another one sided victory for the 'Blades. (Ad's are a one line team, 'Blades are a 4 line team) Turns out the reason for the scratch was that Grant was called up and signed to the AHL Cleveland Monsters today. Monsters and Norfolk are both pretty likely to miss the playoffs, so there's only about 10 games left in the season. I do think the Monsters play at Milwaukee yet if anybody wants to get out and possibly see Grant play.

Elsewhere Trent Frederic scored his first pro goal for AHL Providence last night, and Matt Ustaski buried his 4th goal in 7 games for the JAX Icemen.

Congrats Badgers!
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The D talk also reminded me that it's complete bs that Gary Suter isn't in the Hockey Hall of Fame. (He is in the US Hockey Hall) The only knock against him is that he never won the Norris trophy... well, he lost to either Paul Coffey or Ray Bourke in his best years, both first ballot HOF's that played mostly on better teams. There's no doubt he had a better career than a good number of D that are actually in. It's a Travesty!

Mike Richter and Cujo should both be in there too, long as I'm on the subject.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              The D talk also reminded me that it's complete bs that Gary Suter isn't in the Hockey Hall of Fame. (He is in the US Hockey Hall) The only knock against him is that he never won the Norris trophy... well, he lost to either Paul Coffey or Ray Bourke in his best years, both first ballot HOF's that played mostly on better teams. There's no doubt he had a better career than a good number of D that are actually in. It's a Travesty!

Mike Richter and Cujo should both be in there too, long as I'm on the subject.
                              Agreed.

I've heard rumors of college hockey teams still playing somewhere. Dont know, don't ****ing care.

Comment

• I’m super excited for next year. Better defenseman should make things easier on the forwards. I’ve missed great puck moving defensemen.

Comment

Working...
                                X