Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. III - Building a better tomorrow...today!

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    Yeah, so sooner the better on getting a commitment. A coworker and I were talking Badger hockey and he said we need a Canadian goalie again as a lot of our best goalies over the years have been Canadian's, Eh.
    Yeah, we have been lacking in the Canadian goalie department. Lebedeff is a Fin and there have been some quality NHL keepers from there, so you never know.
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      Yeah, we have been lacking in the Canadian goalie department. Lebedeff is a Fin and there have been some quality NHL keepers from there, so you never know.
      He's 17th in GAA and 15th in Save% in the NAHL. I am not holding my breath..... http://nahl.com/game-center/#/goalie...age=1&league=1
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
        He's 17th in GAA and 15th in Save% in the NAHL. I am not holding my breath..... http://nahl.com/game-center/#/goalie...age=1&league=1
        Yeah, I saw those stats. The number 1 goalie in the league isn't committed anywhere, nor is his teammate who has better numbers.

Goalie recruiting seems like a crap shoot.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
          Goalie recruiting seems like a crap shoot.
          Goalie stats can be so hard to figure out in a vacuum.
          So much of those stats can be tied to the other 18 players on the ice in front of him and how well they play. Very rarely do you get a goalie who can dominate the game every night just on his own skill...granted I got to see a few games Ryan Miller when he was at MSU and they came up to NMU in the old CCHA, he was that kind of phenom.

You have to think that some of the NAHL goalies are playing in that league just to get the ice time.

You could have a great kid sitting on the bench every night in the USHL who is just as good as the other goalie, but doesn't get the playing time for whatever reason. You could take that kid off of the bench and have them on the ice every night in the NAHL.
          I would bet that the USHL goalie will probably put up better numbers because of the supporting cast.

If you were that player, or that player's family, would you rather be sitting on the bench in the USHL or playing every game in the NAHL? Scouts aren't going to see you if you never get on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
            Goalie stats can be so hard to figure out in a vacuum.
            So much of those stats can be tied to the other 18 players on the ice in front of him and how well they play. Very rarely do you get a goalie who can dominate the game every night just on his own skill...granted I got to see a few games Ryan Miller when he was at MSU and they came up to NMU in the old CCHA, he was that kind of phenom.

You have to think that some of the NAHL goalies are playing in that league just to get the ice time.

You could have a great kid sitting on the bench every night in the USHL who is just as good as the other goalie, but doesn't get the playing time for whatever reason. You could take that kid off of the bench and have them on the ice every night in the NAHL.
            I would bet that the USHL goalie will probably put up better numbers because of the supporting cast.

If you were that player, or that player's family, would you rather be sitting on the bench in the USHL or playing every game in the NAHL? Scouts aren't going to see you if you never get on the ice.
            Not going to rip any kid for signing and getting ice time. I just don't think that he is the top flite goalie we have missed since Rumps.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

I'm all for more Canooks on the roster, especially in goal. Canadians are mostly going to come from Canadian Junior A teams like Penticton. Before we run down the NAHL too much, remember that NAHL is a Tier II Junior and on the same level as Canadian Junior A. In fact, 3 of the top 5, and 5 of the top 10 teams in the North American Tier 2 Junior rankings are in the NAHL. Here's a LINK. Janesville is #8, btw.

Certainly overall, USHL and MJ players are better, but there are still plenty of good players coming out of Tier II and as a league, the NAHL doesn't have to take a backseat to the OJHL, AJHL, BCHL, etc.
              Originally posted by WiscTJK
              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                I'm all for more Canooks on the roster, especially in goal. Canadians are mostly going to come from Canadian Junior A teams like Penticton. Before we run down the NAHL too much, remember that NAHL is a Tier II Junior and on the same level as Canadian Junior A. In fact, 3 of the top 5, and 5 of the top 10 teams in the North American Tier 2 Junior rankings are in the NAHL. Here's a LINK. Janesville is #8, btw.

Certainly overall, USHL and MJ players are better, but there are still plenty of good players coming out of Tier II and as a league, the NAHL doesn't have to take a backseat to the OJHL, AJHL, BCHL, etc.
                I agree with your post 100%, but it doesn't mean WE should "settle" for any of them. UW is a top ten college hockey program ("back in the day" I'd say top 5) and without question should be landing many more top, elite players (goalies) especially from North America. I've posted before, "...no disrespect to Tier II or Junior A players, but they aren't in the USHL, NCAA, or CHL for a reason." There are always some exceptions.

Taking a very quick look at rosters in the B1G, 1-Notre Dame, 2-Ohio State, 3-Penn State, ALL (9) of their goalies are from the U.S. (I'd like to look at the top ten in the NCAA, but currently cannot). I'm not pumping the USA jersey, but just showing that we're missing out.
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                  ...UW is a top ten college hockey program...
                  Out of curiosity, what is your top ten list and where does Wisconsin fit in it?

Comment

Top ten programs (not teams this year) is an interesting topic. I think no point in actually ranking them since the debate could go on forever, but a list of teams for me would be:

BC, BU, DU, ND, UM, UMD, UMN, UND, uw (9) and someone from Lowell, Providence, Qpac, or Union with PSU a quickly rising program

And I know you didn't ask me sorry
                    Last edited by Bonin21; 01-22-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      Out of curiosity, what is your top ten list and where does Wisconsin fit in it?
                      I'm talking about history all the way to current. WI, MN, NoDak, BC, BU, DU, for example. I was simply stating UW is a top ten ALL TIME college hockey PROGRAM. No idea if it's even possible to list an order.
                      Last edited by MadCityRich; 01-22-2018, 03:10 PM.
                      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Eight UW recruits were listed on the recent NHL Central Scouting's midterm rankings for the 2018 draft:

23. RW Sampo Ranta
                        31. D K'Andre Miller
                        56. LW Jack Gorniak
                        57. D Ty Emberson
                        148. D Cole Krygier
                        159. D Christian Krygier
                        167. D Mike Vorlicky
                        195. C Ben Helgeson

Comment

We have talked about Aleksi Peltonen in this thread previously...I noticed he moved from the NAHL to Omaha of the USHL in December. Only one point so far in eight games I believe with Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                            Eight UW recruits were listed on the recent NHL Central Scouting's midterm rankings for the 2018 draft:

23. RW Sampo Ranta
                            31. D K'Andre Miller
                            56. LW Jack Gorniak
                            57. D Ty Emberson
                            148. D Cole Krygier
                            159. D Christian Krygier
                            167. D Mike Vorlicky
                            195. C Ben Helgeson
                            It's crazy with all the D on the list.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              It's crazy with all the D on the list.
                              yep, but still need that highly rated goalie.

Comment

On the bright side, Daniel Lebedeff has posted a .955 sv% and 1.25 GA over his last 4 starts, moving his sv% on the season up to .918. He has been heading in the right direction.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X