X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2nd Term Part VIII - The Thin Red Line

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Hey - Liarwatha proposed a bill I can agree with.. http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-51...rticle/2549323

The crushing student loan debt is going to prevent a large # of college grads from loading up on other worthwhile debt to buy houses or automobiles in the future. Reducing the interest rate will put more money in the borrowers' pockets, thereby hopefully allowing more $$ to be spent.

It is prudent for Uncle Sam to provide climates that encourage its citizens (and illegals) to make investments in the economy. Therefore. Mr. President (Speaker) I support the bill.
    Another awful idea. We need to have the system that is in place now in order to weed out those that spend $200,000 to party, and encourage the study of fields that will actually be beneficial to our society.

Comment

They've got CNN on here in the airport - entertainment tabloid news, yeah I know. They're talking to some writer for Rolling Stone who served in Afghanistan about Bergdahl. In criticizing the media response, he just said the most dangerous thing Bill O'Reilly ever did was walk across the street to buy a burger. That got an approving chuckle out of me.

Cue the '*******' labeling.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Another awful idea. We need to have the system that is in place now in order to weed out those that spend $200,000 to party, and encourage the study of fields that will actually be beneficial to our society.
        Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
          Why is it okay to refinance any loan other than a student loan if interest rates drop?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Hey - Liarwatha proposed a bill I can agree with.. http://washingtonexaminer.com/cbo-51...rticle/2549323

The crushing student loan debt is going to prevent a large # of college grads from loading up on other worthwhile debt to buy houses or automobiles in the future. Reducing the interest rate will put more money in the borrowers' pockets, thereby hopefully allowing more $$ to be spent.

It is prudent for Uncle Sam to provide climates that encourage its citizens (and illegals) to make investments in the economy. Therefore. Mr. President (Speaker) I support the bill.
            This will only serve to increase tuition for those still in school, or keep tuition from dropping. Every time we pass some sort of student aid package, it allows schools to charge more as it reduces the direct expense to the students compared to impacts of tuition increases within the current system.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Why is it okay to refinance any loan other than a student loan if interest rates drop?
              Because we need to make sure that students who borrow money when they are 18 learn never to trust our banking system.

Comment

Texas GOP...they Sure Do Get It!

for those who don't wish to click this is the relevant info:

Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin.
                Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. We recognize the legitimacy and value of counseling which offers reparative therapy and treatment to patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle. No laws or executive orders shall be imposed to limit or restrict access to this type of therapy.
                That is part of their platform...gays are not acceptable and we support "Pray Away the Gay"!
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

That is part of their platform...gays are not acceptable and we support "Pray Away the Gay"!
                  That is definitely how you reach out to moderates.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    I'm curious what parts of the constitution you feel the ACLU does not defend. I disagree with them pretty frequently, but inconsistency would not be one of my criticisms.
                    I typed this up, almost word for word, but never hit submit.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                      I haven't seen them defend any third amendment cases lately!
                      I had to look it up. When I did, I found this tidbit on Wikipedia:

The amendment is one of the least controversial of the Constitution and is rarely litigated. As of 2012, it had never been the primary basis of a Supreme Court decision
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Do people choose to think like Texans, or are they born that way?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                          Do people choose to think like Texans, or are they born that way?
                          It's less about being Texan than about being Baptist. When I was working in Houston, the head of the Southern Baptist Convention made an a*s of himself by declaring that God does not hear the prayers of Jews. My admittedly inadequate knowledge of the scriptures informs me that God and Moses talked quite a bit. And Jesus was a Jew, referred to by contemporaries as rabbi, who drove the money changers from the temple, not the cathedral. Who spoke to his father quite a bit on the final day of his life.

The key issue for this civil war is biblical inerrancy. That every word in the scriptures is literally true (nicely portrayed in a riveting courtroom confrontation between Spencer Tracy and Fredrick March in Inherit the Wind). This battle resulted in professors of theology at Baylor being denounced as heretics. I recall an interview I did with a Baptist professor of physics at the University of Houston. The notion that his church wanted to have "scientific creationism" taught in public schools was anathema to him. And he was sad and hurt that other members of his denomination were willing to expel him for disagreeing with them. The politicians who support this stuff are scared to death of the SBC.
                          Last edited by Old Pio; 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM.
                          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            It's less about being Texan than about being Baptist.
                            Baptists don't have the corner on crazy. The pastor of the Methodist church I grew up in (in Tennessee) was forced out because he said in a private conversation with a member of the congregation that he wouldn't be surprised to see Ghandi in heaven - not that he believed Ghandi *should* be in heaven, mind you, just that he wouldn't be surprised.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              It's not OK to refinance all loans. Any sort of financing is still based upon the risk taken by the investor. As the lendee makes payments, his/her credit increases, and is why refinancing is possible. Student loan lenders, such as Stafford and Perkins, already have such perks in place, such as forgiving a small amount (maybe about $50-$100) for consecutive on time payments, or even lowering the rate as such. Some don't hit them because of accelerated payments, but they're there.

As someone who uses lending club (as a lender, not a lendee), I don't go for student loan refinancing, because it usually means that they're going to default on it. Remember that student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy court.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And "Pray the Gay Away" turns them insane. Just ask the blue power ranger.

Comment

Working...
                                X