No announcement yet.

What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What teams will be strong in 2013-2014?

In the ECAC, Princeton returns 10 seniors, including their leading scorers, and return all defense. They were in it until the last few games. If they dont win this year, it could be a long few years.

Comment

Originally posted by brg View Post
      Anyone have early insights into teams that have strong cores returning and/or recruiting classes expected to make an impact next season?
      The Gophers...

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        The Gophers...
        You owe me a buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
          BC

*Large Gaping Abyss*

Everyone else.

Next question.
          Of course a fan boy would want to deflect attention away from BU, their new coach, the studs on the ice and a renewed excitement around the program.

Truth be told, anyone mentioning BC in this thread is relying heavily on the unproven talent of an incoming freshman class, goaltender included.
          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
            Just hoping they don't dig themselves too big of a hole early.
            Been there, done that......Can't help myself......Your asking gophers not to dig too deep of a hole? I'll rent them a backhoe and pack the hole with the innards of fireworks if it will help any.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A lot of eastern teams look good on paper just because their schedules are always so soft, so it's hard to tell, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Been there, done that......Can't help myself......Your asking gophers not to dig too deep of a hole? I'll rent them a backhoe and pack the hole with the innards of fireworks if it will help any.
                The Big Ten's decision to front load the non-conference schedules is one of my biggest concerns. I have faith that this Gophers team will be a strong one at the end of the year, but the inconsistency of youth could hurt us at the start of the year. Can only hope they can lean on Wilcox at the start of the season.

And yeah, realize I am preaching to the choir with you guys.
                @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  A lot of eastern teams look good on paper just because their schedules are always so soft, so it's hard to tell, really.
                  It's not our fault you westerners have an issue with traveling to the east at even keeling. Even a former Denver assistant has called you out on it.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    It's not our fault you westerners have an issue with traveling to the east at even keeling. Even a former Denver assistant has called you out on it.

Can't speak for other program's, but Minnesota is traveling East more. Vermont this past season, Notre Dame this season, BC, BU, and Northeastern in the coming few years.

Unfortunately though, unless teams are willing to pay a significant sum to have Minnesota travel, I don't see them playing a significant amount of OOC games on the road. Hockey is a significant revenue producer at Minnesota.

Not to mention, now that the Gophers are in a different conference than all of the other MN schools, the priority becomes getting those other MN schools on the OOC schedule because those schools depend on the revenue they get from playing the Gophers.

Tough situation because I agree with your premise, and would like to see the Gophers play more schools away from Mariucci because I think it would bring with it neat travel experiences, but I just don't know how much they actually will anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                      Of course a fan boy would want to deflect attention away from BU, their new coach, the studs on the ice and a renewed excitement around the program.

Truth be told, anyone mentioning BC in this thread is relying heavily on the unproven talent of an incoming freshman class, goaltender included.
                      According to Carlton the Doorman, y'all have Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr coming in next year. #2014ChampionshipWrappedUp
                      It Happened!!!!

Comment

That's a bit of a skewed comment though. MSU itself played 2 at UAH, 2 at the UCONN "neutral site" tourney (which I'm sure he's not including since MSU would account for almost 50% of his stat)and 4 at home. I'm guessing that he wasn't including neutral site games. Any more games on the road would start bankrupting our programs out west. It's not as easy as hopping on a bus and traveling to another school's barn like you're able to do in the east. We have to get on a plane and get a return trip (which was something that the eastern schools weren't able to do). That might change with conferences re-aligning, but up until now it was flat out way too expensive to travel without getting return trips. Maybe it's even more lopsided with the other teams than I realized, but I'm guessing the numbers were twisted just a tad. Next year MSU will be at Providence, at MN and 2 neutral ice games at the MN Cup.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                          That's a bit of a skewed comment though. MSU itself played 2 at UAH, 2 at the UCONN "neutral site" tourney (which I'm sure he's not including since MSU would account for almost 50% of his stat)and 4 at home. I'm guessing that he wasn't including neutral site games. Any more games on the road would start bankrupting our programs out west. It's not as easy as hopping on a bus and traveling to another school's barn like you're able to do in the east. We have to get on a plane and get a return trip (which was something that the eastern schools weren't able to do). That might change with conferences re-aligning, but up until now it was flat out way too expensive to travel without getting return trips. Maybe it's even more lopsided with the other teams than I realized, but I'm guessing the numbers were twisted just a tad. Next year MSU will be at Providence, at MN and 2 neutral ice games at the MN Cup.
                          It also looked at the WCHA as a whole. One team does not a conference make. You guys actually traveled to us the year before, so it's only fair we travel to you. I have no issue with that. I'm looking mostly at goofers, dammit, and even DU (although there is some remedy next year). There's also a certain former CCHA team that is a multiple offender, don't want to name any names, but they have ugly helmets...

Comment

It also looked at the WCHA as a whole. One team does not a conference make. You guys actually traveled to us the year before, so it's only fair we travel to you. I have no issue with that. I'm looking mostly at goofers, dammit, and even DU (although there is some remedy next year). There's also a certain former CCHA team that is a multiple offender, don't want to name any names, but they have ugly helmets...
                            Like I said above, the Gophers have been traveling East and I'm not sure you'll see them travel East much more than they have been because of the reasons I outlined.

- Hockey is an important revenue sport at Minnesota
                            - Now that the other MN teams are in different conferences, the priority becomes using OOC games to play the, because the money it generates is important to those programs

Likewise, you don't see schools like BC and BU traveling West to play Bemidji or Mankato often either.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Like I said above, the Gophers have been traveling East and I'm not sure you'll see them travel East much more than they have been because of the reasons I outlined.

- Hockey is an important revenue sport at Minnesota
                              - Now that the other MN teams are in different conferences, the priority becomes using OOC games to play the, because the money it generates is important to those programs

Likewise, you don't see schools like BC and BU traveling West to play Bemidji or Mankato often either.
                              Don't get me started on BC or BU only having 5 NC games (they use one of the other two to play each other in the beanpot championship, as well as the other game in that tourney). Don't get me started on that one-and-done set of four that ugly helmets pulled a couple years ago, either. Granted, RPI can't talk TOO much concerning Atlantic teams, although we're starting to give them some home games. Look, I don't have any issue with you guys looking to play local NC teams at all. But those 2-for-1, 3-for-1, and so on deals that certain western teams do just because you want to make $5mil instead of 4, that's called asinine. Let's see if you guys even travel to play ECAC teams. Even if you only want to play the ivies.

Comment

UNH will be very competitive in 2013-2014. If Umile doesn't get to holy grail with this crew it is without a doubt time to retire. This is his last shot .....

Comment

Working...
                                X