Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    North Dakota, Denver, CC, Miami and other NCHC members formed their league because they wanted to get away from the Michigan Techs, Bemidijis and NMUs of the world.
    Though I can't speak for Suzanne, I'm not sure regardless of how much MTU would improve, would they go back unless it was a real money issue. The realignment is what it is, taken advantage of it, make it work as a group. If the group works together then it raises all ships.

Comment

NCHC is going to go 10 teams sooner or later and the only conference to draw from will be the WCHA . Programs at the top will get the consideration and not the bottom feeders . If Tech developes in to a top team , they will be asked . WCHA has what going in,9 teams ? Would you keep a team in a league that the NCHC will want to pull two teams out of ? At 7 teams,the WCHA wouldn't be much of a league . Tech and the rest will now be playing 2 teams in Alaska and not one. You jump to the NCHC and you play no teams in Alaska.

North Datoka and the rest formed the NCHC because of the Big Ten forming there own league . Taking MN and WI out of the WCHA was weakening that league and the other teams saw it. Now the NCHC will ravel any league in the nation .

Comment

Why would the NCHC be thinking of expansion already? They're not even planning a full double round robin (24 games, not 28 in conference play) to allow more non-conference play. Adding more teams doesn't help that.
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

In the beginning they said they may be looking to open the league up as it gets settled . Actually the NCHC will be the top league in the nation.
          Last edited by sm2pk; 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            In the beginning they said they may be looking to open the league up as it gets settled . Actually the NCHC will be the top league in the nation.
            Why would the NCHC want to go to 10 teams? 8 teams is a nice size conference. Sure if another (non-Big 10) school or two in the Midwest or West add Div 1 hockey, the NCHC might consider them if they thought the level of commitment ($) was there, but I don't see them "poaching" any more teams from the new WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Why would the NCHC want to go to 10 teams? 8 teams is a nice size conference. Sure if another (non-Big 10) school or two in the Midwest or West add Div 1 hockey, the NCHC might consider them if they thought the level of commitment ($) was there, but I don't see them "poaching" any more teams from the new WCHA.
              They also wanted Notre Dame but they went east. The fact they have said they are leaving open the possibility of adding more teams and the fact Notre Dame would have made them a 9 team league tells me they are not closing the door to a 9 or 10 team league.

Comment

They also wanted Notre Dame but they went east. The fact they have said they are leaving open the possibility of adding more teams and the fact Notre Dame would have made them a 9 team league tells me they are not closing the door to a 9 or 10 team league.
                St. Cloud and Western Michigan didn't receive invitations until it became clear that Notre Dame was going east. One of the two of us would not have received an invitation if Notre Dame had accepted an invite.
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  St. Cloud and Western Michigan didn't receive invitations until it became clear that Notre Dame was going east. One of the two of
                  us would not have received an invitation if Notre Dame had accepted an invite.
                  No.St Cloud and Western were accepted the third week in September I believe and it was the first week in October that the NCHC said they had run out of time waiting on Notre Dame to make a decision to join the league. The NCHC said they would have accepted Notre Dame making them the 9th team in the league had they accepted . Notre Dame appeared to have been waiting on a TV contract to be the final decision on where they were to go.

The NCHC said from the beginning that they would be opened to expanding the league past 8 teams and the fact they would still have accepted Notre Dame after they were at 8 teams seems to play that out. That is why I think the new WCHA may be smaller if the NCHC decides to go to 10 teams and I think they will eventually.

Comment

Actually the NCHC will be the top league in the nation.
                    So just how did the kool-aid taste at every media gathering the NCHC hosted?
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

No.St Cloud and Western were accepted the third week in September I believe and it was the first week in October that the NCHC said they had run out of time waiting on Notre Dame to make a decision to join the league. The NCHC said they would have accepted Notre Dame making them the 9th team in the league had they accepted . Notre Dame appeared to have been waiting on a TV contract to be the final decision on where they were to go.

The NCHC said from the beginning that they would be opened to expanding the league past 8 teams and the fact they would still have accepted Notre Dame after they were at 8 teams seems to play that out. That is why I think the new WCHA may be smaller if the NCHC decides to go to 10 teams and I think they will eventually.
                      They said they were done waiting for Notre Dame to save face to make it look like they rejected ND instead of vice versa. There's no need to claim being "out of time" for a team to choose your league that doesn't start for two more years. Football realignment has shown that teams can move in like 7 months without a huge displacement. West Virginia is moving to the Big XII on 9 months notice that wasn't agreed to until 5 months before the dead drop date. Temple just moved to the Big East on 5 months notice.

Comment

[QUOTE=bronconick;5403363]They said they were done waiting for Notre Dame to save face to make it look like they rejected ND instead of vice versa. There's no need to claim being "out of time" for a team to choose your league that doesn't start for two more years. Football realignment has shown that teams can move in like 7 months without a huge displacement. West Virginia is moving to the Big XII on 9 months notice that wasn't agreed to until 5 months before the dead drop date.

Still doesn't change the fact they took in SCSU and Western before Notre Dame went east and the NCHC said they would have still taken Notre Dame and had a 9 team league. That goes with what they said from day one. That they would be open to expanding the league past 8 teams. Notre Dame simply got a better TV deal going east .

Comment

I am a newbie to this site, but a WMU grad and longtime hockey fan. I attended the first playoff game last week between Lake State and WMU, I can tell you there wasn't that much difference in the game except maybe goaltending. Western could have been easily behind 3 zip after the first ten minutes of play and Western was very shaky in their own zone, especially in the face-off circles. Luckily, the Big Slubowski does not play like a freshman.
                          LSSU has good skaters and Sternberg has a rocket of a shot!

Comment

Given that negotiations are a lengthy discussion, they likely accepted WMU and SCSU when ND told them they wouldn't be coming to the NCHC and the delay for ND announcing their move to Hockey East was them finalizing the TV contract and other issues with that conference.

And even if your version is correct, going to 9 with Notre Dame and their NBC Sports contract that they had the inside track on because of their 20 year association with NBC is different then poaching additional teams out of the WCHA for obvious reasons.

Comment

davyd83...............thanks for correctly pointing out my senior moment........it's the NCAA and not USA Hockey I meant to say. I had just spent some time wandering around USA Hockey and AAA related sites and had USA Hockey on the brain. Thanks again!

Comment

davyd83...........Thanks for correcting my obvious error - it's the NCAA not USA Hockey. I was on several sites looking at the teams in the AAA Midget Major national tournament and has a "senior
                                moment".

Comment

Working...
                                X