Here is a rundown of Laker alumni in the AHL heading into the season

Steven Oleksy- Hershey
    Kyle Haines- Hartford
    Kyle Jean - Hartford
    Rick Schofield - Rochester
    Will Acton - Toronto
    Nathan Perkovich - Albany
    Zach Trotman - Providence

it appears that Simon Gysbers and Derek Smith will be in the NHL if and when the season starts... With all of these young guys knocking on the door to the big show and a few making it you would hope this would be a selling point when the Lakers are recruiting players, especially when we are in our new conference, as I doubt too many of our new competitors would be able to boast this type of player advancement

Comment

• Re: LSSU Hockey 2012-2013

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      Here is a rundown of Laker alumni in the AHL heading into the season

Steven Oleksy- Hershey
      Kyle Haines- Hartford
      Kyle Jean - Hartford
      Rick Schofield - Rochester
      Will Acton - Toronto
      Nathan Perkovich - Albany
      Zach Trotman - Providence

it appears that Simon Gysbers and Derek Smith will be in the NHL if and when the season starts... With all of these young guys knocking on the door to the big show and a few making it you would hope this would be a selling point when the Lakers are recruiting players, especially when we are in our new conference, as I doubt too many of our new competitors would be able to boast this type of player advancement
      It is good to see the guys move on. Where will Gysbers and Smith be playing; if and when there is a season?
      Go Lakers!

Comment

Roque told the Soo paper that defense is going to be his game plan this year . Roque feels he has a solid defense and they are going to have to play around Kapalka and keep games tight and allow them to win the 2-1 games they lost last season.

Comment

Some good early indicators. If this LSSU team truly is a defense-first team (and I think that is a very honest assessment from the Coach) then Tech is going to be a good test. Since Mel returned to Houghton, the Huskies certainly are a long way from the heavy-skate plodders of Russell''s era -- this team will skate and attack. I hope the boys are up to the task.

Then its an interesting trip down Hwy 2 into Bemidji. Great rink. Great fans. Tough road trip. I think the BSU fans are probably also wondering what team they have, and so it could be a wierd series in Northern Minnesota -- and what we see from BSU and LSSU in October might not look anything like the teams that are playing in Februray. Lots of opportunity on the Lakers for players to move up -- or down -- the depth charts.

Comment

The Lakers finished 18-17-5 a year ago which was their best season in awhile but it could have been much better, they were flirting with a top 4 finish and an NCAA berth before fizzling out, they scored 102 goals for an average of 2.55 per game and gave up 108 an average of 2.7 per game, has their offensive and defensive goals per game been improved just a bit they may have achieved a high finish in the CCHA and an NCAA berth. Based on those numbers I hypothesize that if the Lakers can score 120 goals and hold opponents to 100 in their 36 scheduled non exhibition games then they should finish in the top 4 of the CCHA and secure an NCAA berth. Below I will plot out a path to our 120 goals using reasonable (but slightly optimistic)projections for players goals based on past performance and assumed improvement for most....as I have not seen the freshmen play I will give them low goal "allotments" thru the season I will update the list to chart players progress.

Mcparland 17 goals

Monardo 15 goals

Lain 12 goals

Campbell 7 goals (tough to project due to injury)

Ciotti 7 goals

Radke 7 goals

Perfetto 7 goals

Power 7 goals

Robinson 7 goals

McKay 5 goals

Vernace 5 goals

Czuczman 5 goals

Ainsworth 3 goals

Schmitt 3 goals

Perrault 2 goals

Loesch 2 goals

Sternberg 2 goals

Bruneteau 2 goals

Weeks 1 goal

Dommett 1 goal

Spratte 1 goal

Wall 1 goal

Drapluk 1 goal

Comment

The Lakers finished 18-17-5 a year ago which was their best season in awhile but it could have been much better, they were flirting with a top 4 finish and an NCAA berth before fizzling out, they scored 102 goals for an average of 2.55 per game and gave up 108 an average of 2.7 per game, has their offensive and defensive goals per game been improved just a bit they may have achieved a high finish in the CCHA and an NCAA berth. Based on those numbers I hypothesize that if the Lakers can score 120 goals and hold opponents to 100 in their 36 scheduled non exhibition games then they should finish in the top 4 of the CCHA and secure an NCAA berth. Below I will plot out a path to our 120 goals using reasonable (but slightly optimistic)projections for players goals based on past performance and assumed improvement for most....as I have not seen the freshmen play I will give them low goal "allotments" thru the season I will update the list to chart players progress.

Mcparland 17 goals

Monardo 15 goals

Lain 12 goals

Campbell 7 goals (tough to project due to injury)

Ciotti 7 goals

Radke 7 goals

Perfetto 7 goals

Power 7 goals

Robinson 7 goals

McKay 5 goals

Vernace 5 goals

Czuczman 5 goals

Ainsworth 3 goals

Schmitt 3 goals

Perrault 2 goals

Loesch 2 goals

Sternberg 2 goals

Bruneteau 2 goals

Weeks 1 goal

Dommett 1 goal

Spratte 1 goal

Wall 1 goal

Drapluk 1 goal

I think the goal production will be about the same as last year, and might struggle to reach those not-so-lofty levels -- given the unexpected loss up front. But I don't think it will be asking too much to shave 8 goals off the overall GA. With so many games being close, shaving eight goals could result in 4-5 more wins. And 22-13-5 is a very good record and, with a good playoff run, could get us back to the NCAAs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lakerblue View Post
                I think the goal production will be about the same as last year, and might struggle to reach those not-so-lofty levels -- given the unexpected loss up front. But I don't think it will be asking too much to shave 8 goals off the overall GA. With so many games being close, shaving eight goals could result in 4-5 more wins. And 22-13-5 is a very good record and, with a good playoff run, could get us back to the NCAAs.
                Oh don't get me wrong I realize that this team will likely be offensively challenged and I'm not saying by any means that I think those players will necessarily reach those levels, I just think that if the Lakers reach that 120 goal mark then they will realize their goals and to achieve that number we will need production that resembles that from this team.

I'm hoping from a big senior season from Ben Power, he had a breakout 18 point freshmen season including 15 assists but he hasn't sniffed that production since that year....hopefully he can put the pieces together and have a good final year in a Laker uniform

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong I realize that this team will likely be offensively challenged and I'm not saying by any means that I think those players will necessarily reach those levels, I just think that if the Lakers reach that 120 goal mark then they will realize their goals and to achieve that number we will need production that resembles that from this team.

I'm hoping from a big senior season from Ben Power, he had a breakout 18 point freshmen season including 15 assists but he hasn't sniffed that production since that year....hopefully he can put the pieces together and have a good final year in a Laker uniform
                  Agreed

Comment

I am hoping to see:

Measured improvement from Ciotti.

Something special from huge Austin McKay

Perhaps an elite season from McParland -- like 15g, 25 assist year -- a sort of big-time breakout.

Ben Power has been frustrating because I think we all believed he would develop a scoring touch, and instead seems stalled. If he can manage to bury a few of his chances, maybe this senior can get rolling.

I don't know why, but I have this funny feeling Radke is ready to click.

Comment

From reading the article in the Soo paper ,defense may be the way of the team this year. Seems Roque wants to play to his strengths and feels Kaplaka and defense will rule the play this year and offense will have to play off of what the defense gives them and turn overs. Will be hard for players to have a strong attack if defense is the game plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        From reading the article in the Soo paper ,defense may be the way of the team this year. Seems Roque wants to play to his strengths and feels Kaplaka and defense will rule the play this year and offense will have to play off of what the defense gives them and turn overs. Will be hard for players to have a strong attack if defense is the game plan.
                        Having a strong defensive approach does not prohibit you from scoring a solid amount of goals, it doesn't require 40 shots a game to score 4 or 5 goals (the Lakers teams of the past 5 years certainly proved this). Taking quality accurate shots when the opportunity is there, setting up for one
                        timers, converting odd man rushes and capitalizing on the power play are all ways that any hockey team can score in any game regardless of their style of play or mindset. The Lakers may need to focus a lot on shutdown defense this season, but I for one will not accept that as an excuse if they underachieve offensively

Comment

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/articl...72/1020/SPORTS

Link to Soo Evening News update with KK and Coach Roque.

Comment

Should be a great game tonight.....I'm looking forward to seeing how LSSU's video feed compares to Tech's.
                            Tech's starting one of the Freshman goalies, so it's hard to predict how he'll do.
                            If the game is low scoring, it will definitely benefit the Lakers.
                            The key will be keeping Tech's forwards from getting quality chances by preventing odd-man rushes, winning face-offs and back-checking well.
                            That's gonna be tough, as Tech essentially has three full lines of guys that can score.
                            Wish I could be there.

Comment

Ainsworth and Murdock ineligible? Hope this isn't true...

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker4Life View Post
                                Ainsworth and Murdock ineligible? Hope this isn't true...
                                Where did u hear this? If true this is very disappointing....Ainsworth had a big junior career but didn't even play last year (for whatever reason), meanwhile Murdock was going to be our back up goaltender in all likelihood.

Hopefully the Lakers can get off to a winning start this evening.

Comment

Working...
                                X