Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 1003

Thread: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

  1. #161
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    Link please. The mobile version, if I read the same article, didn't have that quote. Unless they edited the story ...
    This is the article:
    https://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...o_and_trivino/

    And, of course, the front page is simply this:
    https://www.boston.com

    But the "quote" (really an "accusation" - or the statement that says he doesn't think the culture will change) is in the Subtitle on the front page...NOT in the article itself (which is why I am wondering why they would make a statement like that in the headline and then not substantiate it (or at least embellish upon it - no wait, even BRING IT UP) in the main article...it's as if they just "throw it out there" to tantalize us or attempt to stir up controversy and then just ignore it. Not what I would call credible journalism...
    Last edited by chickod; 02-24-2012 at 07:54 AM.

  2. #162
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,381

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    While I appreciate trying to get to the bottom of this quickly, I also think there's a reason why the inquiry will go into the summer. Its easier for dismissals to happen after the year is over, be it players, coaches or other athletic department people. Not condoning this necessarily, but it doesn't take 4 weeks to find people to look into this. It does take 4 weeks for the season to be over however.

    Regarding BC punks, its all good. I'd be (and have) dogged them for their many scandals so you can't take it personally. Still don't know what we ever did to Westfield St's hockey program though...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  3. #163
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    Not what I would call credible journalism...
    This is the Boston Globe we are talking about. It's no coincidence they are floundering. I can't think of any source where I'd be less inclined to get my news.
    #OneKnight

  4. #164

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    This is the article:
    https://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...o_and_trivino/

    And, of course, the front page is simply this:
    https://www.boston.com

    But the "quote" (really an "accusation" - or the statement that says he doesn't think the culture will change) is in the Subtitle on the front page...NOT in the article itself (which is why I am wondering why they would make a statement like that in the headline and then not substantiate it (or at least embellish upon it - no wait, even BRING IT UP) in the main article...it's as if they just "throw it out there" to tantalize us or attempt to stir up controversy and then just ignore it. Not what I would call credible journalism...
    I e-mailed the author and she got back to me immediately. The link to the proper article was bad. She said the web people there are working on fixing the link.

  5. #165
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,057

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    I e-mailed the author and she got back to me immediately. The link to the proper article was bad. She said the web people there are working on fixing the link.
    so the new article will tell us why jack doesn't think it can be fixed?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  6. #166

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    I e-mailed the author and she got back to me immediately. The link to the proper article was bad. She said the web people there are working on fixing the link.
    https://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_af ter_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivi no/?p1=Well_Local_Links

    Here it is. Not sure why he would say that, even if it is the truth.

    ETA: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    Last edited by Parker Ranger; 02-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.

  7. #167
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    But Parker expressed a seemingly different view in an interview yesterday.

    “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    Why would he say this? Assuming the task force does find a cultural problem then the culture needs to change. If he can't or won't do it somebody else will have to. Mind bogglingly dumb thing to say, whether or not he thinks its true.
    #OneKnight

  8. #168
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,057

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    once more - just in case someone missed the first time.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

    In an interview earlier this week with the Globe, BU hockey coach Jack Parker said that if his team’s culture was found wanting, he would work to change it, a sentiment Brown praised in a letter yesterday to the campus community.

    But Parker expressed a seemingly different view in an interview yesterday.

    “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.

    Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.

    Although its captains pledged to refrain from violence against women as part of their sponsorship of the statewide “White Ribbon Day’’ campaign, the other players had no involvement in the event except to wear white ribbon logos on their helmets.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  9. #169
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brookline
    Posts
    252

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    If he said that...he's got to go. Not in 4 weeks, not tomorrow.....today.

  10. #170
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,381

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    once more - just in case someone missed the first time.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

    In an interview earlier this week with the Globe, BU hockey coach Jack Parker said that if his team’s culture was found wanting, he would work to change it, a sentiment Brown praised in a letter yesterday to the campus community.

    But Parker expressed a seemingly different view in an interview yesterday.

    “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.

    Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.

    Although its captains pledged to refrain from violence against women as part of their sponsorship of the statewide “White Ribbon Day’’ campaign, the other players had no involvement in the event except to wear white ribbon logos on their helmets.
    I don't think he understands the situation he's in. If he takes an "oh well, can't do anything" attitude in public he's going to be out of a job. There's tone deafness and then there's blatant idiocy. The school needs to demostrate action here, not a belief that there's not a lot they can do (I'm surprised he wasn't asked why this isn't happening at the other Hockey East schools).

    This furthers my belief that Brown has completely taken this out of the athletic department's hands.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  11. #171
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    https://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_af ter_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivi no/?p1=Well_Local_Links

    Here it is. Not sure why he would say that, even if it is the truth.

    ETA: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    That's a very odd quote. The Freep and I talked to Parker for 16+ minutes yesterday and he never said anything even close to that (note: the Globe interview was separate from ours). In fact, he pretty much said the opposite. He said they were looking at everything and would do whatever they could to help change the culture. He never expressed any sort of defeatist attitude, which is how this quote comes across.

    Also, the next sentence after that quote is:

    Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.
    Parker and Lynch both told me that those sessions happened before the season, and that student-athletes were then refreshed on them after Trivino's arrest. So, basically I'm just really confused by that quote and the article in general. It's very different than how Parker spoke when he talked to us. I'm not sure why his attitude would seemingly shift that much from one interview to the next.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  12. #172
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,899

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    In an interview earlier this week with the Globe, BU hockey coach Jack Parker said that if his team’s culture was found wanting, he would work to change it, a sentiment Brown praised in a letter yesterday to the campus community.

    But Parker expressed a seemingly different view in an interview yesterday.

    “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    Oh boy. Interesting.

    Well, he does have a point to a certain extent (it is college, living in dorms, girls, etc) but at the same time that is too closed-minded to say things can't change drastically, at least for the hockey program, and the option of reinventing the wheel completely has to be on the table and apparently Parker doesn't agree. I'm ok with casual sexual encounters and co-ed dormitories. But heavy drinking? Of course those aren't in quotes so is the writer making a stretch there? Because the heavy drinking part might be a problem obviously. Not sure what to think of that part since it's not in direct quotes attributed to Parker. Good lesson for the freep writers anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Parker said his team typically participates in a short information session on sexual misconduct, but has not yet done so this year.
    Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  13. #173
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,136
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedTerrier View Post
    If he said that...he's got to go. Not in 4 weeks, not tomorrow.....today.
    Unbelievable.. going into the Friday paper (read wknd) reading that. Sorry to say this..but he has lost touch.

    At least wait and see what the panel recommends Coach. Until then.. loose lips.. sink ships.

    Good person, just out of touch with reality.. I know we all admire him in a way, but this should not have come out of his mouth. If it did.. you've already found part of your problem BU. Setting the tone..yeah, it starts at the top.

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    45

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    https://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/02/24/boston_university_to_investigate_hockey_culture_af ter_sex_charges_against_players_nicastro_and_trivi no/?p1=Well_Local_Links

    Here it is. Not sure why he would say that, even if it is the truth.

    ETA: “You can’t change the culture that’s evolved here; we’re not going to be able to step into people’s lives and change them drastically,’’ he said, referring to heavy drinking, casual sexual encounters, and co-ed dormitories.
    Potential Recruit: "Ya-hoo!"
    Recruit's Parents: "Oh really?"

  15. #175
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,057

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    Potential Recruit: "Ya-hoo!"
    Recruit's Parents: "Oh really?"
    don't forget the parents of the 4000 some odd potential freshmen who will be sending deposit check in a couple months too!
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  16. #176

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    That's a very odd quote. The Freep and I talked to Parker for 16+ minutes yesterday and he never said anything even close to that (note: the Globe interview was separate from ours). In fact, he pretty much said the opposite. He said they were looking at everything and would do whatever they could to help change the culture. He never expressed any sort of defeatist attitude, which is how this quote comes across.

    Also, the next sentence after that quote is:



    Parker and Lynch both told me that those sessions happened before the season, and that student-athletes were then refreshed on them after Trivino's arrest. So, basically I'm just really confused by that quote and the article in general. It's very different than how Parker spoke when he talked to us. I'm not sure why his attitude would seemingly shift that much from one interview to the next.
    So I'd guess we'd have to get his reaction to the Globe story to see if the reporter took some liberties. Not sure it'll matter, thousands of people will read that today.

  17. #177
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,057

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Ranger View Post
    So I'd guess we'd have to get his reaction to the Globe story to see if the reporter took some liberties. Not sure it'll matter, thousands of people will read that today.
    i asked her if she recorded it. told her two other sources interviewed him at different times and got the exact opposite responses.
    no reply yet.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  18. #178
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    I'm getting a "Page Not Found" error when I try that link. Did they take it down? Is it the wrong link? Does anybody know what's going on here????

  19. #179
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,722
    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    I know we all admire him in a way
    Uh... *******https://i43.tinypic.com/347ve4x.jpg********

  20. #180
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,057

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •