Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1003

Thread: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with us?

  1. #21
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,278

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Did you ask the desk? Or just look for the sheets?

    MGM, bellagio, and nyny are the same- all MGM properties and the sportsbooks are run under the same mgmt. they may not have numbers. I've had better luck with caesar's properties. But even then the sheet is behind the counter and you need to ask. (caesers includes Paris, harrah's bally's, IP)

  2. #22
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,786

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    So, instead of sexual aggression, the new hot BU topic is gambling?
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

    Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

  3. #23
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,942

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    So, instead of sexual aggression, the new hot BU topic is gambling?
    We're trying to emulate our morally superior friends up the street.

  4. #24
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,278
    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    So, instead of sexual aggression, the new hot BU topic is gambling?
    Everything I know about gambling I've learned from you, old man!!

  5. #25
    * * * * * SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Roslindale
    Posts
    23,360
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Did you ask the desk? I've had better luck with caesar's properties. But even then the sheet is behind the counter and you need to ask. (caesers includes Paris, harrah's bally's, IP)
    Was it the real Caeser's palace?

  6. #26
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,278
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Was it the real Caeser's palace?
    Speaking of that movie....

    I'm at a nudie bar couple weeks ago and out of the corner of my eye I see my bud pull out his phone and starts to take a picture of this strippers butt with a big tat. Before I can kick him he takes the pix and a slew of bouncers fall upon us. His excuse??? "really? You can't take pictures here? Didn't you guys see the hangover?"

  7. #27
    Currently Busy
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    6,674

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    I'm in.

    This situation is terrible and extreme but it presents an opportunity for the remaining players and staff to demonstrate what the program represents, what they personally represent and what the school represents.

    Obviously we can't minimize every player that leaves as unimportant, that conflicts with the fact they were starting and playing, but the task of motivating the remaining players is the new mission. It is possible to further galvanize their resolve...teams with less total talent have gone on a tear and gone deep into the tournament. The coaches hopefully are looking to this as a new challenge of their skill and experience and I hope they come up with an approach that captures the players and focuses them on what lays ahead, not what happened last week.

    Unlike losing Nicastro to an ACL tear, this issue will be brought up in the media, by fan bases etc. I'm sure more than one parent called their son and asked if he should stay on the team etc. So, overcoming this issue and distraction isn't going to be one pre-game speech.

    I hope the staff is full of energy and confidence that this doesn't have to be the death knell for this season and they instill that into the team, fans and BU alums.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    323

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I'm in.

    This situation is terrible and extreme but it presents an opportunity for the remaining players and staff to demonstrate what the program represents, what they personally represent and what the school represents.

    Obviously we can't minimize every player that leaves as unimportant, that conflicts with the fact they were starting and playing, but the task of motivating the remaining players is the new mission. It is possible to further galvanize their resolve...teams with less total talent have gone on a tear and gone deep into the tournament. The coaches hopefully are looking to this as a new challenge of their skill and experience and I hope they come up with an approach that captures the players and focuses them on what lays ahead, not what happened last week.

    Unlike losing Nicastro to an ACL tear, this issue will be brought up in the media, by fan bases etc. I'm sure more than one parent called their son and asked if he should stay on the team etc. So, overcoming this issue and distraction isn't going to be one pre-game speech.

    I hope the staff is full of energy and confidence that this doesn't have to be the death knell for this season and they instill that into the team, fans and BU alums.
    This. Well put.

    BU Alum '07

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Back to today
    Posts
    9,719

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by chickod View Post
    we go to California frequently - my father-in-law lives in Alameda. Right up the road from San Jose. NOBODY...I mean NOBODY talks about hockey. It's not on the news, it's not on TV, it's not anywhere. There may be a "hard core" segment of the population - like anything else - that is passionate about it. That's why I said "niche" sport. I bet more people watch X Games than hockey (which, of course, is why it's on TV more). I've accepted this a long time ago and I don't care. I like it and that's all that matters. But this (and I'm not saying you - I'm just saying) campaign that some people are on to "spread" the popularity and "grow the game." It's just not going to happen, and why do we care if it does???
    I agree with you 90%. But I was in San Diego last weekend, and my hotel was packed with youth teams in town for the California state "Winter Games" hockey tournament. I wonder whether there were enough players 30 years ago to put on such a thing? I still don't think the sport will ever be giant -- and I'm fine with that, just like you -- but I think it was (is) smart to try growth in California. At least there are mountains, snow, skiing, skating, etc there; at least there are people there who regularly go do winter sports. As opposed to, I don't know, Charlotte or Tampa Bay, where I can't see it reaching that critical sustainable state.
    Bugs Bunny - 96
    Gas House Gorillas - 95

  10. #30
    Sungo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    I think of hockey like soccer. Right now, there's not the attention you'd like to see. But if the conditions are right and more kids play, it could grow more

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    hillsboro, nh
    Posts
    91

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Speaking of that movie....

    I'm at a nudie bar couple weeks ago and out of the corner of my eye I see my bud pull out his phone and starts to take a picture of this strippers butt with a big tat. Before I can kick him he takes the pix and a slew of bouncers fall upon us. His excuse??? "really? You can't take pictures here? Didn't you guys see the hangover?"
    awesome

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    4,255

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveStPaul View Post
    I agree with you 90%. But I was in San Diego last weekend, and my hotel was packed with youth teams in town for the California state "Winter Games" hockey tournament. I wonder whether there were enough players 30 years ago to put on such a thing? I still don't think the sport will ever be giant -- and I'm fine with that, just like you -- but I think it was (is) smart to try growth in California. At least there are mountains, snow, skiing, skating, etc there; at least there are people there who regularly go do winter sports. As opposed to, I don't know, Charlotte or Tampa Bay, where I can't see it reaching that critical sustainable state.
    Good point...

  13. #33
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Just received this in my email inbox. Submitted without further comment:

    Dear Colleagues and Students:

    For decades the Boston University menís ice hockey team has been a source of tremendous pride for the Boston University community, on and off the ice. Our student athletes have competed at the highest level of collegiate ice hockey and united generations of students, alumni, and friends who cheer for their success and admire their accomplishments.

    Today we find ourselves at a crossroads for the menís ice hockey program and the University. As has been extensively reported, two members of our team have been charged with assault this academic year. These charges, if ultimately substantiated, involve reprehensible acts. The Boston University community expects that our student athletes, as representatives of the University, adhere to the same high standards to which we hold all members of our community and which reflect the mission and aspirations of our university.

    The charges in these cases understandably lead to questions about whether the hockey team's culture and climate have contributed in some way to the actions of the two individuals. The University must address these questions and, if deficiencies are identified, make appropriate and necessary changes.

    I am writing to let you know that I am forming a task force of University trustees, overseers, faculty, and staff which will be charged with studying the culture and climate of the menís ice hockey team and its influence on the behavior of student athletes in our campus community. I stress that the constitution of the task force does not reflect a judgment about the specific facts in the two cases of alleged assault. The determination of both cases must be left to the judicial system.

    The constitution of the task force does, however, reflect a University-level judgment that the two incidents indicate something systemic or habitual may foster a team climate that does not comport with the highest standards of conduct we seek to maintain for all members of our community.

    I launch this task force with the full support of Head Coach Jack Parker, Athletic Director Mike Lynch, and Bob Knox, Chairman of our Board of Trustees. Coach Parker told The Boston Globe, "I hope itís a horrible coincidence. I donít want this to be the culture of our team, and if it is, weíll change it." Coach Parker's comment is exactly right.

    The membership of the task force, its charge, and its work plan will be announced in the next several weeks. The goal is for the task force to offer the University a thoughtful and impartial assessment of the culture and climate of our team, with a view to answering the question whether that culture and climate could have contributed to actions that, in turn, led to criminal charges. I will ask to have a report from the task force early in the summer so that we can begin to address any issues in the coming academic year.

    Working together, we will do whatever is necessary to restore the Boston University communityís confidence in the menís ice hockey program. I look forward to reporting to you on our progress.

    Sincerely,


    Robert A. Brown
    President

  14. #34
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Some context for the above: I received the email at my BU email address. I am a part-time graduate student, so if I received it I assume so did all current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty and staff.
    #OneKnight

  15. #35
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Appropriate response, and a good way to handle any potential outside public scrutiny that may be targeted at the men's hockey team. I doubt the task force will come back with anything terrible earth shattering, but some changes to how the team is handled by donors, administration, and all around may not be a bad idea. Promoting a culture where they can be as much the same as all other students (not 100% realistic, I know) would be a good thing overall for the program I think.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Marblehead
    Posts
    549
    I like this as a start, but I'd be happier if there was an impartial, unaffiliated element involved.

  17. #37
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Appropriate response, and a good way to handle any potential outside public scrutiny that may be targeted at the men's hockey team. I doubt the task force will come back with anything terrible earth shattering, but some changes to how the team is handled by donors, administration, and all around may not be a bad idea. Promoting a culture where they can be as much the same as all other students (not 100% realistic, I know) would be a good thing overall for the program I think.
    Should also put to bed any notion that Parker will be forced out, at least in the near-term. Though it doesn't rule out him stepping aside voluntarily
    #OneKnight

  18. #38
    Priceless
    Guest

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    I predict the task force will find that Jackie was exactly correct: It was a horrible coincidence and it's all over now. No changes at all have to be made.

    *******https://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4651/remaincalmalliswell.jpg********

  19. #39
    Hopelessly optimistic
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    221

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Some context for the above: I received the email at my BU email address. I am a part-time graduate student, so if I received it I assume so did all current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as faculty and staff.
    Interesting. I have a BU email (med student) as well as season tickets, and didn't receive the message at either address.

    Anyway, I think this is the perfect response from BU. Some will argue that this should have been instituted in December and who knows what conversations were held back then, but better late than never.
    BU '05, '08, '12


  20. #40
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Boston University 2011-2012 Part V: At least 6 more games, maybe 13... who's with

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Should also put to bed any notion that Parker will be forced out, at least in the near-term. Though it doesn't rule out him stepping aside voluntarily
    I really can't see him being forced out based only on these two incidents. First, no forcing out could occur until both cases are definitively resolved in the courts, and that'll be quite a while, especially if one or both go to trial.

    Re: impartial, unaffiliated element - The letter says the people on the task force have not been named. I would be quite surprised if the majority of the task force were not mostly people outside of BU, combined with one or two non-hockey related BU administrators/staff. There are firms that do these outside task force things for a living, so it shouldn't be hard to find impartial people to do a full review of the program.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •