X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 144: (Lack of) Winter Wonderland

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Someone should just put together a list of USCHO forum memes, DAMMIT!
    It would be too long, DAMMIT!
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Why did that troll have to make that thread, DAMMIT...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Patman will probably be most interested in this:

Sports Analytics Conference at MIT Sloan

My cousin goes to school thre and sent me the link as former Terrier Tony Amonte (*swoon*) is part of the Hockey Analytics panel. Sounds like a cool conference. Wish I could go.
        Its more for people in the business and analytics... in other words, they'll only let in people they've sanctioned as appropriate.

I doubt there's a ton of cross-over between this and NESSIS which is held bi-annually at Harvard.

That being said, NESSIS is more of the fan nerd side where as the MIT conference is a practitioner side... if the two would communicate then you could see some interesting things. I think the two sides are much closer than they ever have been but my impression is that they're still not really mixing and that its more about better guesses and newer tools versus statistical machinery and mathematical evaluation. I mean, look at their hockey panel... GM, coach, player, reporter. In their case my guess is they'll talk about how video tape integrating with other communications tech (iPads, laptops, etc.) have revolutionized how the game is played and people adjust. Even Lowell has a guy on staff whose duty is to break down shift-by-shift and sort it by player to give to them to later for review. Technically its analytics, but not within my skillset.

Do note that "moneyball people" tend to hire quants... Financial guys... to use tools developed by Bill James et. al... unless you're the Mets... then you hire a stupid NYU kid who doesn't understand calculus (and this is why I don't feel bad for the Mets). I think they like the financial guys because they don't tend to speak geek and look good in a suit... culture trumps all... the moneyball people were able to get in because they have the same culture set as the GM and owners but not the baseball guys. Maybe that's because the GMs stopped being true baseball guys.

Certainly could be interesting... but I don't think they'd want to talk to somebody like me... though they probably should.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Certainly could be interesting... but I don't think they'd want to talk to somebody like me... though they probably should, DAMMIT.
          You're straying from the path, DAMMIT.

Comment

The word DAMMIT is starting to look funny.
            Bugs Bunny - 96
            Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

It's a wine kind of night. Not one bottle, but two DAMMIT!
              Always a Wildcat...
              Originally posted by Kepler
              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
                The word DAMMIT is starting to look funny.
                Starting to, DAMMIT?

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
                  It's a wine kind of night. Not one bottle, but two DAMMIT!
                  *thumbs up*

That reminds me, I have a six pack of KBC in my fridge that needs finishing, DAMMIT!
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

It seems as though I missed out on something......DAMMIT.
                    sigpic

Comment

DAMMIT. Just because it feels good to say DAMMIT.

This is like when you read the fortune cookie and say 'in bed' after it. DAMMIT!

Comment

fyp

Just had my four month cleaning at the dentist. Told them that the tooth I had the root canal on now hurts more than it did when I went in there in October and said "My tooth hurts, I think somethink's wrong." They're not sure what it is. Could be a crack that wasn't noticed, etc. Great. I feel like if I need to get an implant or something, they should do it for free.
                        dammit! i have to get a root canal on thursday. had a tooth loose some filling couple months ago and the corner finally cracked off. broke down and went to see a dentist that i golf with. first time at the dammit dentist since i had a root canal in 2008. at that time they wanted me to get a crown. f that, dammit!!! those things cost $$$$. mikey told me he'd do both crowns (cracked tooth new is next to old cracked tooth needing a crown). i told him i get a discount dammit if i get two. he agreed. i told him $20 for the first, $5 for the second. he just laughed.

has a vietnamese asst. i love when the dentist treats you right... dammit!
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Patman will probably be most interested in this:

Sports Analytics Conference at MIT Sloan

My cousin goes to school thre and sent me the link as former Terrier Tony Amonte (*swoon*) is part of the Hockey Analytics panel. Sounds like a cool conference. Wish I could go.
                          is this the one that that sports guy, dammit, goes to? with the houston rockets gm, dammit?

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post

Certainly could be interesting... but I don't think they'd want to talk to somebody like me... though they probably should.
                            i've been told, you come up with something new, dammit, and people will listen to you. they no longer want someone to show up and say, "hey, i'll do anything!!!" anyone can do what they're told, dammit. they want to be wow'd dammit! bring them something cutting edge that works and nobody else has done, dammit.

crash some numbers and see if all the good players rise to the top and scrubs sink, dammit. that'll help prove your theories. after that, see if you can uncover some value players who, dammit, nobody else 'knows' about.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              i've been told, you come up with something new, dammit, and people will listen to you. They no longer want someone to show up and say, "hey, i'll do anything!!!" anyone can do what they're told, dammit. They want to be wow'd dammit! Bring them something cutting edge that works and nobody else has done, dammit.

Crash some numbers and see if all the good players rise to the top and scrubs sink, dammit. That'll help prove your theories. After that, see if you can uncover some value players who, dammit, nobody else 'knows' about.
                              THIS, DAMMIT.

a
                              Always a Wildcat...
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

My Hotmail got hacked and people are now getting spam, DAMMIT.

If I ever find the person that did that, I'm going to hit them with a shovel, DAMMIT.
                                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Working...
                                X