Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
    Are the NCAA rankings released on Monday or Tuesday?
    Tuesday.

Expect Oswego to be #1 followed closely by Norwich and then after that either Amherst or Plattsburgh. After that its a crap shoot.

This is just my guess. I have absolutely no inside knowledge and I am mainly going off the work Josh has done on the other site.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      Expect Oswego to be #1 followed closely by Norwich and then after that either Amherst or Plattsburgh. After that its a crap shoot.
      The PairWise between Oswego and Norwich is pretty much a toss-up. The Lakers take win % by less than a percentage point (.0085) whereas Norwich wins common opponents with a 3-0-1 record to Oswego's 3-0-2.

The site isn't awarding the Lakers a point for SOS because the edge is barely a third of a percent (.0035).

Since they appear to be so close right now, would it have been better for Norwich to lose to Castleton on Saturday than to Skidmore? Isn't a loss against a ranked team (which Castleton should be) better than one to a non-ranked team such as Skidmore? Or is the win over a ranked team better even if it means taking a loss to Skidmore?

I understand that this is the epitome of speculation right here, but am curious what some of the more experienced and informed - when it comes to tournament prognosticating - think.
      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

The PairWise between Oswego and Norwich is pretty much a toss-up. The Lakers take win % by less than a percentage point (.0085) whereas Norwich wins common opponents with a 3-0-1 record to Oswego's 3-0-2.

The site isn't awarding the Lakers a point for SOS because the edge is barely a third of a percent (.0035).

Since they appear to be so close right now, would it have been better for Norwich to lose to Castleton on Saturday than to Skidmore? Isn't a loss against a ranked team (which Castleton should be) better than one to a non-ranked team such as Skidmore? Or is the win over a ranked team better even if it means taking a loss to Skidmore?

I understand that this is the epitome of speculation right here, but am curious what some of the more experienced and informed - when it comes to tournament prognosticating - think.
        One of the secondary (or wherever) criteria is record against RANKED opponents, so those games you want/need to win. For everything else, a loss is pretty much just a loss, no matter whom it is too. (Please note, this is just a generalization, there can be some slight differences. And as noted below, the ONLY rankings used for this start coming out this week.)
        Go 'Wick!

Comment

A win/loss over a ranked team is much more important than a win/loss over a non-ranked team.

More than likely Skidmore and UMass-Boston won't be ranked, so that means Norwich will have an unbeatable record vs. ranked teams.

Meanwhile, Oswego's losses are to Utica and Neumann, which will both definitely be ranked. Norwich will win that category. Is it enough to overcome Oswego's massive strength of schedule edge though and winning percentage edge?

We'll see....
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            Friday night is a HUGE game for Plattsburgh, and we will find out just how huge come Tuesday. If Plattsburgh wins Friday night (and Saturday), I don't think anyone else will claim a Pool C spot over them (except Oswego and Norwich and rightfully so). However, if Plattsburgh was to lose Friday night and then again in the SUNYACS its a big question mark now after losing to Brockport. If Plattsburgh splits (or worse gets sweept) this weekend and Amherst sweeps, there could be a clear case for Amherst over Plattsburgh. Again I think it will come down to WHO is ranked. No ofense to the West (ECAC and NCHA) but I don't forsee them overtaking any teams (Norwich, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Amherst, Elmira, Castleton) to gain a spot. St.Thomas? I want to be sold but I just can't yet.

My Top 10/12 depending on what happens this weekend

1. Norwich **
            2. Oswego **
            3. Plattsburgh/Amherst **
            4. Elmira
            5. SNC **
            6. St.Thomas **
            7. Castleton
            8. Manhatanville
            9. Utica
            10. UWRF/NCHA Runner Up (going to have 4 more wins)

Again right now its all speculation on who the ranked teams will be. A team left out or put in could really help or hurt a teams chance.
            Only the NCHA quarter finals are a two game series. The semis and the final are single games. So, the league runner up is going to end up with only 3 more wins, not 4. Not sure if this info makes any real difference in your assessment however...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
              Only the NCHA quarter finals are a two game series. The semis and the final are single games. So, the league runner up is going to end up with only 3 more wins, not 4. Not sure if this info makes any real difference in your assessment however...
              The league runner-up could actually end up with only one more win if they tied both before the mini-game. Unlikely, but...

Comment

I not sure how the Norwich/Oswego rating will shake out but I would be most concerned about is facing Plattsburgh in the quarterfinal or earlier round. And for whatever season Norwich always seems to play Plattsburgh. Although most of the NCAA playoff teams are capable of beating each other, Plattsburgh defensive system and good goaltending make them a very difficult team to face. Elmira or Manhattanville are another couple of outstanding teams.
                2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  A win/loss over a ranked team is much more important than a win/loss over a non-ranked team.

More than likely Skidmore and UMass-Boston won't be ranked, so that means Norwich will have an unbeatable record vs. ranked teams.

Meanwhile, Oswego's losses are to Utica and Neumann, which will both definitely be ranked. Norwich will win that category. Is it enough to overcome Oswego's massive strength of schedule edge though and winning percentage edge?

We'll see....
                  Actually, assuming USCHO has calculated SOS correctly, the difference in SOS between Norwich and Oswego in SOS is minimal Oswego at 0.5151 and Norwich at 0.5116. That comes about because Norwich wins in OWP and Oswego wins in OOWP. With the 2/3 1/3 weighting, it comes out a difference of 0.0035. That is anything but a massive advantage. Norwich's edge in RNK could carry the day. It's a coin flip. Swap the wins/loses this weekend and it would be a different story.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Actually, assuming USCHO has calculated SOS correctly, the difference in SOS between Norwich and Oswego in SOS is minimal Oswego at 0.5151 and Norwich at 0.5116. That comes about because Norwich wins in OWP and Oswego wins in OOWP. With the 2/3 1/3 weighting, it comes out a difference of 0.0035. That is anything but a massive advantage. Norwich's edge in RNK could carry the day. It's a coin flip. Swap the wins/loses this weekend and it would be a different story.
                    Norwich will also win the record vs. common opponent comparison against Oswego. Even if the Lakers win out they will not beat Norwich in that category (thank you Morrisville).
                    93GreatLaker

2012-13 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2011-12 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2010-11 LPS Losers Bracket Champion
                    2008-09 DIII College Hockey Pool Champion
                    2008-09 SUNYAC Pick-em Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I must have been looking at the wrong numbers or mixing the women and men's up there because I thought Oswego had a big edge there.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                        I not sure how the Norwich/Oswego rating will shake out but I would be most concerned about is facing Plattsburgh in the quarterfinal or earlier round. And for whatever season Norwich always seems to play Plattsburgh. Although most of the NCAA playoff teams are capable of beating each other, Plattsburgh defensive system and good goaltending make them a very difficult team to face. Elmira or Manhattanville are another couple of outstanding teams.
                        I agree with Hawk BIG time, these teams we speak of are capable of beating each other on any given night......

Comment

Just some fact$:

The 2009-10 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship cost the NCAA $246,042, for 2010-11 they budgeted $314,180 but spent $345,336 (a difference of $31,156).
                          For 2011-12, their budget is $319,280.
                          Larry Normandin
                          SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                          WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                            Just some fact$:

The 2009-10 NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championship cost the NCAA $246,042, for 2010-11 they budgeted $314,180 but spent $345,336 (a difference of $31,156).
                            For 2011-12, their budget is $319,280.
                            Not a business major among them.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

East:
                              1) Oswego
                              2) Norwich
                              3) Amherst
                              4) Plattsburgh
                              5) Elmira
                              6) Manhattanville
                              7) Plymouth
                              8) Curry

West:
                              1) St. Norbert
                              2) St. Thomas
                              3) Adrian

Now, based on the new official rankings and if every leader wins and what we know the NCAA does with travel...

Play-ins:
                              Elmira @ Adrian
                              Curry @ Plattsburgh
                              Plymouth @ Manhattanville

Quarters:
                              St. Thomas @ SNC
                              Adrian/Elmira @ Oswego
                              Plymouth/Manhattanville @ Norwich
                              Curry/Plattsburgh @ Amherst

It's a killer for Plattsburgh to be ranked 4th. Play-in game then on the road for the quarters.
                              Last edited by AldenPartridge1819; 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM. Reason: W3 > E5

Comment

Elmira would travel Adrian...
                                Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                                2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Working...
                                X