Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 618

Thread: Tournament Speculation Thread

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    175

    Tournament Speculation Thread

    With only four weekends to go in the regular season, I figured this would be fun to start. While I understand that we don't have any official rankings yet, we do have two rankings (KRACH & NUProf's) that have the same three teams in line for Pool C bids, so...

    Pool A (by current winning %)

    ECAC-E: Norwich (win over Castleton)
    ECAC-NE: Curry
    MASCAC: Salem (Goal differential in conference over Plymouth)
    MCHA: Adrian
    MIAC: St. Thomas
    NCHA: St. Norbert
    NESCAC: Amherst
    SUNYAC: Oswego

    Pool C

    Plattsburgh
    Castleton
    Elmira

    For seeding, I'll go with NUProf's rankings.

    East:
    1) Oswego
    2) Norwich
    3) Plattsburgh
    4) Castleton
    5) Elmira
    6) Amherst
    7) Salem
    8) Curry

    West:
    1) St. Norbert
    2) St. Thomas
    3) Adrian

    Now, based on the rankings and what we know the NCAA does with travel, there are a few possibilities...

    Tournament 1:

    Play-ins:
    Adrian @St. Norbert
    Curry @ Elmira
    Salem @ Amherst

    Quarters:
    Adrian/SNC v. St. Thomas
    Salem/Amherst @ Oswego
    Elmira/Curry @ Norwich
    Castleton @ Plattsburgh

    Tournament 2:

    Play-ins:
    Adrian @ Elmira
    Curry @ Castleton
    Salem @ Amherst

    Quarters:
    St. Thomas @ SNC
    Adrian/Elmira @ Oswego
    Salem/Amherst @ Norwich
    Curry/Castleton @ Plattsburgh

    Tournament 3:

    Play-ins:
    Curry @ Norwich
    Salem @ Plattsburgh
    Amherst @ Castleton

    Quarters:
    St. Thomas @ SNC
    Adrian @ Elmira
    Amherst/Castleton @ Oswego
    Salem/Plattsburgh @ Curry/Norwich

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    I have my doubts the field will be split 8/3..........
    I have my doubts that all regular season champions will hold serve in their conference tournaments.
    Other than that nice job !

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    217

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
    I have my doubts the field will be split 8/3..........
    I have my doubts that all regular season champions will hold serve in their conference tournaments.
    Other than that nice job !
    When was the last time every regular season champ held serve in the conference tourny? Has it ever happened?
    Sergei Fedorov, at the conclusion of his final season as a Red Wing.

    "I just don't know what to think. I play in Colorado, they tell me they like me, and I get traded. I play in Calgary, and at the end of the season the GM tells me he likes me, and I get traded. I just hope my fiancee doesn't tell me she likes me."

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,568

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
    With only four weekends to go in the regular season, I figured this would be fun to start. While I understand that we don't have any official rankings yet, we do have two rankings (KRACH & NUProf's) that have the same three teams in line for Pool C bids, so...

    Tournament 3:

    Play-ins:
    Curry @ Norwich
    Salem @ Plattsburgh
    Amherst @ Castleton

    Quarters:
    St. Thomas @ SNC
    Adrian @ Elmira
    Amherst/Castleton @ Oswego
    Salem/Plattsburgh @ Curry/Norwich

    No way (based on today's rankings) does Elmira get a bye to the Quarters, while both Plattsburgh and Norwich host a play-in.
    Go 'Wick!

  5. #5
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,728

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    If it keeps bodies off airplanes, it can happen. Remember, the first priority is not bracket integrity, but avoiding flights.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,495

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    where are NUProfs rankings???

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Bethel Vt.
    Posts
    1,062

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    where are NUProfs rankings???
    yes i havnot found them either
    Steve Day(NU71)
    Go Cadets

  8. #8
    Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern New York
    Posts
    8,625

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    D3hockey.com

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    175

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    where are NUProfs rankings???
    https://d3hockey.com/rankings/wiitala/2011-12/Men/jan-24

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    5,568

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    If it keeps bodies off airplanes, it can happen. Remember, the first priority is not bracket integrity, but avoiding flights.
    Then the 1st scenerio would happen, but still NOT the third.
    Go 'Wick!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    Then the 1st scenerio would happen, but still NOT the third.
    SNC were the #1 seed in the west 2009-10.........and found them selves in a play-in game......so never say never.
    Strange anomolies in the tournament bracket have resulted when the Adrian factor comes into play.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    175

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    Then the 1st scenerio would happen, but still NOT the third.
    I don't think it's likely either. That's why I listed it third. But, we have seen the NCAA do some weird, wild stuff.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    175

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Great initial analysis by Josh Carey over at d3hockey.com: https://d3hockey.com/Bracketology/Men_11-12/feb-1

    What do people think about that. Looks pretty good to me, but I think that if a 4th western team is that close, they will get in over a 2nd ECAC-W team.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by AldenPartridge1819 View Post
    Great initial analysis by Josh Carey over at d3hockey.com: https://d3hockey.com/Bracketology/Men_11-12/feb-1

    What do people think about that. Looks pretty good to me, but I think that if a 4th western team is that close, they will get in over a 2nd ECAC-W team.
    I'd think because the NCAA doesn't want to fly any teams from the west they'll most likely try and go with the eastern team if there's reason too

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rutland, VT
    Posts
    222

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    I don't see 2 ECAC W teams getting in. These teams have to play each other down the stretch and only one of those teams(elmira, utica, manhanttanville) may close out the season flawlessly. CSC will make it in even if they lose to Norwich, long as they win out and make it to the ECAC E championship. If they beat Norwich in either of those two games(first game they make it to pool C easily, second game they win an automatic bid). In that case Norwich makes it to pool C. Realistically it would be Plattsburgh, 1 team from ECAC W, and CSC(given above situation). St. Norbert would be the only West team I could see getting into Pool C.

    It's to early to make a good call right now though. Be interested to see what the regional rankings hold in a few weeks.

  16. #16
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,406

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thatswhatshesaid View Post
    I don't see 2 ECAC W teams getting in. These teams have to play each other down the stretch and only one of those teams(elmira, utica, manhanttanville) may close out the season flawlessly. CSC will make it in even if they lose to Norwich, long as they win out and make it to the ECAC E championship. If they beat Norwich in either of those two games(first game they make it to pool C easily, second game they win an automatic bid). In that case Norwich makes it to pool C. Realistically it would be Plattsburgh, 1 team from ECAC W, and CSC(given above situation). St. Norbert would be the only West team I could see getting into Pool C.

    It's to early to make a good call right now though. Be interested to see what the regional rankings hold in a few weeks.
    First regional rankings are publicized on February 14th.

    Secret ones come out next Tuesday.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nantucket, MA
    Posts
    3,158

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    First regional rankings are publicized on February 14th.

    Secret ones come out next Tuesday.
    ...how good are they at keeping secrets???
    LakerEagleLover

    I support tuition payments past...

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    3.1 miles from the DOMES :)
    Posts
    3,288

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
    ...how good are they at keeping secrets???
    Not very good, Prez just said they come out next Tuesday
    Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
    Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
    Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

    https://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

  19. #19
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,406
    Quote Originally Posted by jconnor View Post
    Not very good, Prez just said they come out next Tuesday
    Anybody who checked the pre-championship manual that norm posted could tell when the secret rankings came out

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nantucket, MA
    Posts
    3,158

    Re: Tournament Speculation Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Anybody who checked the pre-championship manual that norm posted could tell when the secret rankings came out
    Right - I read that myself wondering how secret are they, really? It seems like they are challenging us....to figure it out.....

    For all we know, they just dial in Prof's numbers.....
    LakerEagleLover

    I support tuition payments past...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •