No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/20, 1/21)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/20, 1/21)

You have a gift, a gift for humor. Don't ever lose it.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I am cautiously optimistic about Union's chances this weekend. Obviously they were embarrassed by Yale and Brown in Schenectady and played probably their worst games of the season back to back. Still both of these teams are perennial trouble makers for Union. Yale might be feeling the pressure themselves, at least Allain seems to be having gone postal in the Clarkson game. Anyway, it's a tough road weekend and I would be minimally satisfied with taking home two points. Less than that would be a huge disappointment, more would be gravy.

Comment

Can't believe that I am defending Brown, but at this point I think that RPI and Union would die to have the likes of Farnham or MacLellan on their team. As shown in the first game against Yale which I attended, they have the ability to take over a game on their good nights. The emotion that they play with is most likely a double edged sword, hence the Sybil type season. (For you young guys check the IMDB website for Sybil)
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          Can't believe that I am defending Brown, but at this point I think that RPI and Union would die to have the likes of Farnham or MacLellan on their team. As shown in the first game against Yale which I attended, they have the ability to take over a game on their good nights. The emotion that they play with is most likely a double edged sword, hence the Sybil type season. (For you young guys check the IMDB website for Sybil)
          I'd take MacLellan in a heartbeat, but Farnham is too much in the Harry Z mold for my tastes .. Overall I really like what Whittet is doing at Brown and think they are on a definite upward track. He's brought a lot more players with speed and stick skills in the last couple recruiting classes, to go along with the hard nosed types from earlier classes. And the recruiting class he has coming next season looks like his best yet. IMO they are a team trying to forge an identity and figure out how to bring intensity for a full 60 minutes.

Union will definitely have their hands full both nights and I think the coaches & players know it. Goaltending could be very key in Union's games. Malcolm and Clemente were outstanding in Schenectady but have been rather ordinary at other times this season. As for Union, Grosenick had his worst game of the season against Yale and will have to be much better this weekend for U get some points.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
            You have a gift, a gift for humor. Don't ever lose it.
            You have a gift for never actually demonstrating how people you disagree with are wrong. I'm starting to think (well, not starting; I've thought this for quite some time) that you really have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about, but dislike certain happenings on principle, and attempt to berate those you disagree with by making snarky comments and insinuating that they are imbeciles, when, in fact, you have no evidence or logic behind your own assertions whatsoever.

Now tell me: what exactly is it that I posted that you find fault in? I don't want you to post some inane criticism of anything regarding me or your alleged guffawing, I want to hear real reasons as to why you disagree with me. I'd love to have a discussion about your opinions, if you do indeed have any.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
              I am cautiously optimistic about Union's chances this weekend. Obviously they were embarrassed by Yale and Brown in Schenectady and played probably their worst games of the season back to back. Still both of these teams are perennial trouble makers for Union. Yale might be feeling the pressure themselves, at least Allain seems to be having gone postal in the Clarkson game. Anyway, it's a tough road weekend and I would be minimally satisfied with taking home two points. Less than that would be a huge disappointment, more would be gravy.
              they beat these teams by at least 2 goals or they ain't #14 inthe country

Comment

Aww. You lost your sense of humor.

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                You have a gift for never actually demonstrating how people you disagree with are wrong.
                This indicates to me that you don't read my words very frequently, or particularly well.

I'm starting to think (well, not starting; I've thought this for quite some time) that you really have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about, but dislike certain happenings on principle, and attempt to berate those you disagree with by making snarky comments and insinuating that they are imbeciles, when, in fact, you have no evidence or logic behind your own assertions whatsoever.
                No, I'm not insinuating anything... unless you weren't trying to be funny? Then I apologize and make no insinuation about it, I'll come out and say it instead.

Now tell me: what exactly is it that I posted that you find fault in? I don't want you to post some inane criticism of anything regarding me or your alleged guffawing, I want to hear real reasons as to why you disagree with me. I'd love to have a discussion about your opinions, if you do indeed have any.
                Easy. Brown on the rise? Look at the records. They're only improving inasmuch as they aren't a total bottom-feeder anymore (and this is coming from someone who knows what bottom-feeding looks like right about now). They're just near-bottom feeders instead Congratulations on your two weekends of glory two years ago, but that's really all Brown has had team-wise since the days of Yann Danis. There have been some individually notable players, but the team results just aren't there. It's crystal clear. When was the last time Brown was in the discussion for a first-round bye, or a national tournament berth? Yup. There it is right here. And they still aren't.

You want credit for beating Cornell and Union, and then try to blow off losses to AIC and RPI. The very definition of confirmation bias.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that me knowing what I'm talking about, using evidence or logic behind my assertion? So sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                  they beat these teams by at least 2 goals or they ain't #14 inthe country
                  Well, it's a good thing they're #12.
                  Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                    Well, it's a good thing they're #12.
                    Wait, poles matter?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Wait, poles matter?
                      they do for people living in Poland! and also for telephone wires, electrical wires, cable wires, etc.

For many hockey fans, polls matter, as they do to many political junkies as well.
                      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                        I'd take MacLellan in a heartbeat, but Farnham is too much in the Harry Z mold for my tastes .. Overall I really like what Whittet is doing at Brown and think they are on a definite upward track. He's brought a lot more players with speed and stick skills in the last couple recruiting classes, to go along with the hard nosed types from earlier classes. And the recruiting class he has coming next season looks like his best yet. IMO they are a team trying to forge an identity and figure out how to bring intensity for a full 60 minutes.

Union will definitely have their hands full both nights and I think the coaches & players know it. Goaltending could be very key in Union's games. Malcolm and Clemente were outstanding in Schenectady but have been rather ordinary at other times this season. As for Union, Grosenick had his worst game of the season against Yale and will have to be much better this weekend for U get some points.
                        I think you nailed it about Union v. Brown turning on goaltending. Brown's physical play and intensity (If present) can even out U's outstanding skaters. BTW, it appears that a "Harry Z" tag will be given to players who play in his mold which I would decribe as intense and many times out of control. Whether you like him or not, he will be remembered for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
                          I think you nailed it about Union v. Brown turning on goaltending. Brown's physical play and intensity (If present) can even out U's outstanding skaters. BTW, it appears that a "Harry Z" tag will be given to players who play in his mold which I would decribe as intense and many times out of control. Whether you like him or not, he will be remembered for a long time.
                          The only way he'll be remembered by some of us is a piece of paper held up towards the penalty box.

Comment

Easy. Brown on the rise? Look at the records. They're only improving inasmuch as they aren't a total bottom-feeder anymore (and this is coming from someone who knows what bottom-feeding looks like right about now). They're just near-bottom feeders instead Congratulations on your two weekends of glory two years ago, but that's really all Brown has had team-wise since the days of Yann Danis. There have been some individually notable players, but the team results just aren't there. It's crystal clear. When was the last time Brown was in the discussion for a first-round bye, or a national tournament berth? Yup. There it is right here. And they still aren't.

You want credit for beating Cornell and Union, and then try to blow off losses to AIC and RPI. The very definition of confirmation bias.

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that me knowing what I'm talking about, using evidence or logic behind my assertion? So sorry.
                            Don't apologize, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you for actually showing some evidence and logic for once.

Your point that the results aren't consistently there yet is 100% valid. However, that wasn't my argument. I didn't, and don't, think that we'd get a bye this year and thoroughly demolish everyone in the nation. I did, however, know that this team was capable of much more than last place, which is where almost literally everyone picked them to finish, and they have proven that time and again. Yes, we had some terrible, TERRIBLE losses in the early part of the season. But we're 4-1-2 since the first Yale game, against Yale, UNH, PC, Princeton, QU, Clarkson, and SLU. That's not a bad bunch, with the exception of SLU. And you wouldn't even know it was the same team as two months ago. They don't even remotely resemble each other. Those teams sauntered around the ice, throwing pucks on net from the blue line and not back checking. This team dictates the flow of the game, and spends an incredible amount of time in the opponents zone just cycling the puck and creating opportunities.

It is completely accurate to say that we shouldn't be in discussion for a first round bye. Until this team consistently puts results together (even recently, they've been flaky- 1 point at home vs. P and QU, then 3 points in the North Country, historically a hell-hole for us), we cannot be considered one of the better teams in the league. But, it would be mindless to not recognize the improvements this team has made over the Whittet tenure. Under Grillo, these guys maybe had hopes of finishing 10th. Under Whittet, they believe, whether they are correct or not in this belief, that they can beat anyone in the country on any given night. And they've done that, with quite a few upsets over the past three seasons.

As for it showing in the standings- just keep an eye on us for the rest of the year. I have a feeling they're starting to put it together, and will at least get home ice this year. If we don't, you're right- we're still just "near-bottom feeders." For now.

Comment

Aww. You lost your sense of humor.

This indicates to me that you don't read my words very frequently, or particularly well.

No, I'm not insinuating anything... unless you weren't trying to be funny? Then I apologize and make no insinuation about it, I'll come out and say it instead.

This post was disappointing. You didn't use the word "Butthurt" once. That was your trademark 2 years ago. Can you go retro for me? I'd totally dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by KFBS View Post
                                This post was disappointing. You didn't use the word "Butthurt" once. That was your trademark 2 years ago. Can you go retro for me? I'd totally dig it.
                                This is really creepy.

Comment

Working...
                                X