Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass-Lowell @ Northeastern 12/10/11

Originally posted by thebleedenator View Post
    Should be a great game, hopefully lowell was more focused on BC in practice this week then on NU. Obviously NU only had to focus on UML.

Only one team is going to go into the break with a 6 game win streak.
    Both can go into the break with a 6 game unbeaten streak.
    Originally posted by Bakunin
    Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Tonight is going to be a fabulous game. It will be very interesting to see the Huskies once again as they struggled mightly in their first game at Merrimack, especially on the PK. That was a month and a half ago and a lot has happened with both teams since. I don't read in too much to the whole night off/on thing because as a ranked team, you have to deal with the given schedule. Sure, BC was the "premier" game this week but I'm sure the Hawks were constantly reminded of the two game week.

The game will give us a good indication on how well-conditioned the River Hawks are in the last 25:00 minutes of the game. If it's close, which I think most would agree, it may be the key to the game. The injuries to our defenseman are my biggest cause for concern. Conventional wisdom and pure logic says you'll see Carr tonight, but for some reason, I woudn't be shocked to see Robbins. He's done it before.

I'll be watching on the web feed as I'm a bit under the weather after my trip. Looking forward to a spirited battle!
      - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

I think the only way you see Robbins is in case you have a glimmer of hope that he can work at Carr's level or any other nearly adequate level this season
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Bad call by Bazin costs Lowell a chance. Good game from the Huskies, they were fresh and ready to go and it was obvious from the start. Top line had lots of skill. See you guys in the new year.
          Lowell Forever
          Forever Lowell

Comment

Very evenly matched game, carr looked as good as advertised and #10 (forget is name too lazy to look it up) has some real skill and speed. Thought you guys did a good job of getting into the passing lanes and disrupting our play on the boards that worked so well against ND last weekend. See you guys very soon, should be 2 more close ones.
            Arenas Attended
            Matthews Arena
            Agganis Arena
            Tsongas Arena
            Lawler Arena
            Schneider Arena
            Mullins Center
            TD Banknorth Garden
            Conte Forum
            Whittemore Center
            Gutterson Fieldhouse
            Alfond Arena
            Compton Family Ice Arena

Comment

Granted, my perch was in front of the TV rather than in the arena but that being said, Lowell might be the best opponent I've seen this year. Certainly better than Mack and ND....at least tonight. So props to Lowell and Kudos to the dogs who seem to have learned how to put away the close games (notwithstanding the late Eibler boarding penalty). The last three weekends should put them in a great frame of mind for the trip to Minnesota and in good position to make a second half charge.

Interesting to note that neither Madigan nor Bazin got much respect from the bloggers and columnists after their appointments were announced last summer yet both are heading up programs that nobody seems anxious to play at this point in the season.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
                Bad call by Bazin costs Lowell a chance. Good game from the Huskies, they were fresh and ready to go and it was obvious from the start. Top line had lots of skill. See you guys in the new year.
                I'd like to see them again on even rest (or going into a Friday)... Lowell doesn't usually get beaten that badly on pucks and things like that... I don't know how much of it was NU and how much of it was gas in the tank. Seemed like things were always a step or two off... and in hockey that's all it takes.

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                  I'd like to see them again on even rest (or going into a Friday)... Lowell doesn't usually get beaten that badly on pucks and things like that... I don't know how much of it was NU and how much of it was gas in the tank. Seemed like things were always a step or two off... and in hockey that's all it takes.
                  I actually made the comment to the guy next to me in the third that NU just looked to be physically stronger then UML. Do not know if its true overall, perhaps because NU was fresher, but it was pretty obvious. Guys on NU who normally do not play physical were tossing UML guys around.

One thing teams typically underrate NU for is its skating ability. If there was one thing NU had going for them the last few seasons was that they could skate with anyone. (kinda funny though that there worst skater, MacLeod was also their best scoring forward) Not very many plodders among NU forwards, or even the dmen for that matter.

BTW - i think Norm's call to pull the goalie there was the right move. 6 minutes left, its only the 2nd PP of the game, refs have kept the whistles in their pocket, UML has shots on net, but not very good ones and are not getting to rebounds, take the chance there and see what happens. Does not matter how many you lose by in the end. It looks bad for Norm because NU did score, and UML was given another PP and this time did score with the two man advantage. If there is no PP, or if UML does not score, Quailer's goal does not matter.

I like the move. You gotta make a move at some point, and its not any riskier there then it is with 1 minute left.
                  DogHouse Graduate 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post

BTW - i think Norm's call to pull the goalie there was the right move. 6 minutes left, its only the 2nd PP of the game, refs have kept the whistles in their pocket, UML has shots on net, but not very good ones and are not getting to rebounds, take the chance there and see what happens. Does not matter how many you lose by in the end. It looks bad for Norm because NU did score, and UML was given another PP and this time did score with the two man advantage. If there is no PP, or if UML does not score, Quailer's goal does not matter.

I like the move. You gotta make a move at some point, and its not any riskier there then it is with 1 minute left.

While I agree to an extent, the decision to do it at the time he did was the most puzzling of all... if I remember correctly, he made the call coming out of a TO with about 30 seconds on the PP. Why make the call that late in the PP? The last four minutes were almost comical in the lack of coordination and communication in regards to pulling the goalie, which is sad considering how great Lowell had been playing up until that point. I've gotta hand it to them, they played well, but I'm really glad NU is now rolling into the break at .500 after picking up some much needed points in HE.
                    On Jamie Oleksiak:

Originally posted by Hokydad
                    If he comes next year he will be eaten alive. Zero chance of success in Hockey East next year

Comment

The boarding penalty with a couple mins left was Reid i believe.. not Eibler. Regardless, Coach has to talk to the perpetrator there.. no need for that with the gm being 3-1 (at that point). Could have easily been tie gm in a matter of seconds.

Overall, nice hustle by the Riverhawks & Huskies.. Vallorani (sp?) is a great playmaker. You have a good team Lowell.

Glad Cody redeemed himself with a goal, after his ridiculous miss on the breakaway.
                      Happy Holidays everyone.. stay safe, talk soon.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Huskies01 View Post
                        I actually made the comment to the guy next to me in the third that NU just looked to be physically stronger then UML. Do not know if its true overall, perhaps because NU was fresher, but it was pretty obvious. Guys on NU who normally do not play physical were tossing UML guys around.

One thing teams typically underrate NU for is its skating ability. If there was one thing NU had going for them the last few seasons was that they could skate with anyone. (kinda funny though that there worst skater, MacLeod was also their best scoring forward) Not very many plodders among NU forwards, or even the dmen for that matter.

really, we aren't discussing this if that faceoff and the handling thereafter wasn't so god-awful poor... but it was and it did and so it went

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Working...
                        X