Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Goon's Law: If anything negative is said about the Sioux or positive about the Gophers, anywhere on the Interenet, Goon will find it and in some way be offended.
    what's the problem with that?

Comment

• Originally posted by willythekid View Post

Comment

Goon's Law: If anything negative is said about the Sioux or positive about the Gophers, anywhere on the Interenet, Goon will find it and in some way be offended.
        Really!!! Wow what a great hockey mind… I was wondering how you gleaned that impressive information. You don't by chance live in Redwoodfall, MN do you? Very little offends me… I happened to steal this little nugget from Rodent Puck Live.
        Remember that, in the 1950s and 1960s, hockey (in general, not just college hockey) was predominantly populated by Canadians (think Murray Armstrong at DU-- who had a famous feud with Maroosh about overage Canadians playing college hockey-- and Michigan, Michigan Tech and everybody else had Canadians as their hockey teams), pushing Americans to supporting roles on teams at best, if at all. In contrast to North Dakota and Wisconsin, who recruited Canadians and had success "faster" than Minnesota did considering when they started their programs, Mariucci's actions allowed Minnesota kids to have a goal other than the NHL (which was extremely unattainable to an American kid until the 1980s) or the Olympics (only occurring every four years).
        Last edited by Goon; 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM.
        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
        Eric's Twitter
        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
          Some fans have no sense of humor or have a problem being able to let stuff roll down their backs.
          Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Some fans have no sense of humor or have a problem being able to let stuff roll down their backs.
            You mean like that last post of yours, the one with exclamations points, the one in which you went to another website, found something to whine about, copied the link and scurried back over here to prove a point - all in the name of just having fun right? And I'm sure every post of yours at ss.com concerning the Gophers is full of hugs and kisses?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              And I'm sure every post of yours at ss.com concerning the Gophers is full of hugs and kisses?

I am all about hugs and kisses...
              Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                , it was a multiplier, and not a divisor...I like points
                We are an alignment here as I envisioned a divisor < 1....
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

An interesting speculation while we are awaiting the glacially-paced weekly release of the teams in the countdown....where would people set the over/under line for the number of programs that will make the list of top 25 teams?

So far, we have seven slots filled by four teams. While I know little about the history of NCAA Div I college hockey (or its US predecessor), from what I've been able to glean from here is that an initial line of 9.5 to 10.5 might be a pretty good one....(in other words, will we see 10 programs represented in the list of top 25 teams? more, or less?)
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I figured if Minnesota had any teams on this list they would be towards the bottom. I'm starting to wonder if they made the list or not. Should be fun to watch. Good list, FS23.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      I figured if Minnesota had any teams on this list they would be towards the bottom. I'm starting to wonder if they made the list or not. Should be fun to watch. Good list, FS23.
                      True, the recent winners (02, 03) both had 8 losses.

I suppose one of the 70's teams could sneak in.
                      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by Goon View Post
                        Looks like you're the one without a sense of humor pal.

And FYI.. I wasn't even trying to get involved in whatever discussion you were having. Just commenting on how you always seem to show up to try and minimize any Gopher accomplishment, and rationalize any Sioux mistake.

I was half joking when I said it, but after seeing your response, I think you clearly need the criticism.

Lighten up Fransis. My God.
                        Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Looks like you're the one without a sense of humor pal.

And FYI.. I wasn't even trying to get involved in whatever discussion you were having. Just commenting on how you always seem to show up to try and minimize any Gopher accomplishment, and rationalize any Sioux mistake.

I was half joking when I said it, but after seeing your response, I think you clearly need the criticism.

Lighten up Fransis. My God.
                          This thread provides many good laughs...

Comment

• Originally posted by mariucci View Post
                            This thread provides many good laughs...
                            It does. I always laugh at how hard FS23 tries to justify his rational that any hockey played before the formation of the NCAA is irrelevant.

If we're talking about greatest college hockey teams, I don't see how you can leave out the 1939-40 Gopher team that went undefeated (winning every game by at least 3 goals) and won a national championship. Or how about the 1928-29 Gopher team that Went 14-2-1, started the season with 6 straight shutouts, and won a share of a national championship.

I don't mind looking at only certain eras of hockey history, and realize this list concentrates on the NCAA Hockey era, but when you repeatedly ignore certain eras, as FS23 does, you have to start asking why? And that answer is easy - It makes the Gophers program look better historically if the pre-NCAA era is included in any discussion.

Comment

It does. I always laugh at how hard FS23 tries to justify his rational that any hockey played before the formation of the NCAA is irrelevant.

If we're talking about greatest college hockey teams, I don't see how you can leave out the 1939-40 Gopher team that went undefeated (winning every game by at least 3 goals) and won a national championship. Or how about the 1928-29 Gopher team that Went 14-2-1, started the season with 6 straight shutouts, and won a share of a national championship.

I don't mind looking at only certain eras of hockey history, and realize this list concentrates on the NCAA Hockey era, but when you repeatedly ignore certain eras, as FS23 does, you have to start asking why? And that answer is easy - It makes the Gophers program look better historically if the pre-NCAA era is included in any discussion.
                              Did you not read the thread title?

If you are referring to my greatest programs thread, that included pre-NCAA era. I've stated that several times, but if you don't want to believe it, that's your issue.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

He ignores it because no one besides Minnesota fans care about it. Sorry, them's the breaks. I think Minnesota only hangs 6 banners in Mariucci (not 7 like you're saying above). One for the 1940 team. But if you ask anyone on this board how many titles Minnesota has they'll say 5. And that's great, but sorry it's not as many as UND, Denver, Michigan, or Wisconsin. That's just the way it is. And yes Minnesota did win two in the ought's. But, UND won one in the late 90's, Michigan won one in the late 90's, Denver won two after Minnesota won their two, and Wisconsin won one after Minnesota did. So, it's not like Minnesota is gaining ground. Yes, we have a lot be be pround about, but so do they and in the era that everyone cares about this is his list. You want to make a list then go right ahead and make one.
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X