Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    As for the scores for each team, I can post the scores in here for the teams that have been released. Give me a bit and I'll post the scores for teams #23-25.
    thanks, for my own idle curiosity I'd like to get a sense of what is a 'significant' enough difference to warrant different places vs what difference is 'small enough' to be considered effectively as a tie for the same place.

Perhaps in awarding Olympic medals a difference of 0.001 seconds is needed sometimes, here there probably is a plus-minus factor since you are comparing teams from different eras.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      thanks, for my own idle curiosity I'd like to get a sense of what is a 'significant' enough difference to warrant different places vs what difference is 'small enough' to be considered effectively as a tie for the same place.

Perhaps in awarding Olympic medals a difference of 0.001 seconds is needed sometimes, here there probably is a plus-minus factor since you are comparing teams from different eras.
      Without doing any sort of statistical analysis, I would say probably 10-15 points is probably within a "margin of error" so to speak. Anything less than 5-10 and the two teams are virtually identical. Anything more than 15 and the two teams are adequately separated.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FS23, Do you have time to do my taxes?
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
          FS23, Do you have time to do my taxes?

Unfortunately law school eats up most of my time, so most likely I won't have time. If you need a tax attorney though, you know who to talk to
          North Dakota

Comment

If you need a tax attorney though, you know who to talk to
            NOT [redacted] any longer, from what I heard....
            Last edited by FreshFish; 10-19-2011, 04:01 PM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Here are the point values for #23-25...

#23 - 1979-1980 North Dakota - 189.693
              #24 - 1970-1971 Boston University - 187.556
              #25 - 1994-1995 Boston University - 187.360
              North Dakota

Comment

Unfortunately law school eats up most of my time, so most likely I won't have time. If you need a tax attorney though, you know who to talk to
                Maybe you can work this thread into a law review note--as long as you can cite and source all your conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                  Maybe you can work this thread into a law review note--as long as you can cite and source all your conclusions.
                  I like where this is going!

Now I just have to dig out my Bluebook...
                  North Dakota

Comment

I like where this is going!

Now I just have to dig out my Bluebook...
                    What are the staffers gonna do--say there should be a space in CC or that there should be a footnote citing Happy on the number of overage Canadians on the '87 NC team? Hey, you wrote the book on D1 hockey rankings--call it the Kellygreenbook--Harvard Bluebook be ****ed!

Comment

So, how many points are taken off because a team was illegally recruited and broke many NCAA rules?
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        So, how many points are taken off because a team was illegally recruited and broke many NCAA rules?
                        Those Denver teams will be making the top 25.
                        "My greatest achievement."
                        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          If the NCAA sanctioned the school, and forced that school to forfeit games, then the forfeited games are obviously counted as losses. Also, if players were ruled ineligible for that season, then any accolades they won (ex. all-american, all-conference) are dropped from their point total.

I hope that answers your question.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Here are the point values for #23-25...

#23 - 1979-1980 North Dakota - 189.693
                            #24 - 1970-1971 Boston University - 187.556
                            #25 - 1994-1995 Boston University - 187.360
                            Thank you. It will be really interesting to observe the distribution of your top teams over time.....were teams in an earlier 'era' able to 'cherry-pick' from a relatively limited supply of talent? Did certain teams have a 'pipeline' to a special talent source that most teams did not, at that time? Has the advent of modern communication technology and scouting techniques led to greater parity in the game in recent years compared to earlier times (making it that much harder for any one team to be dominant in the 'modern era' compared to earlier)?

I notice that the 1952 RPI team is listed in the record book as having the first, third, and eighth all-time individual season points per game average all on the same team....it seems a safe bet that you'll never see that kind of concentration of scoring on the same team in the same season ever again, for example...

How have changes in equipment affected the ability of a team to be dominant? (e.g. size of goalie pads, advent of face mask, making it harder for everyone to score across the board...so that games are closer, and thus making it more likely that a fluke bounce of the boards or a chip in the ice will be decisive in an outcome?)

(for the top ten teams in goals per game average, the latest on the list is from 1977)
                            Last edited by FreshFish; 10-20-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              Thank you. It will be really interesting to observe the distribution of your top teams over time.....were teams in an earlier 'era' able to 'cherry-pick' from a relatively limited supply of talent? Did certain teams have a 'pipeline' to a special talent source that most teams did not, at that time? Has the advent of modern communication technology and scouting techniques led to greater parity in the game in recent years compared to earlier times (making it that much harder for any one team to be dominant in the 'modern era' compared to earlier)?

I notice that the 1952 RPI team is listed in the record book as having the first, third, and eighth all-time individual season points per game average all on the same team....it seems a safe bet that you'll never see that kind of concentration of scoring on the same team in the same season ever again, for example...

How have changes in equipment affected the ability of a team to be dominant? (e.g. size of goalie pads, advent of face mask, making harder for everyone to score across the board)

(for the top ten teams in goals per game average, the latest on the list is from 1977)
                              Well, we have to remember that scoring goals does not necessarily equate dominance. While it is an important factor, winnings games is still the strongest, most significant factor in determining dominance, at least as far as my formula is concerned.

As to equipment changes, I don't think that has played too strong of a factor in regards to dominance, nor should it.

When the list is finished, we'll see that the teams are pretty well spread out.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Well, we have to remember that scoring goals does not necessarily equate dominance. While it is an important factor, winnings games is still the strongest, most significant factor in determining dominance, at least as far as my formula is concerned.
                                Of course, as it should be. While being able to score does make it easier to win, you also have to keep the other team from scoring more than you, lol...

When the list is finished, we'll see that the teams are pretty well spread out.
                                That will be interesting, because it did seem at times that certain schools either were able to concentrate talent or to have a pipeline to talent that others lacked...it seems to me that it might be harder for a team these days both to win the championship and also to lose only two games over the course of a season...though given your formula, since teams now have more opportunity for out-of-conference play than they used to, and there are more tournament teams than before, they also can accumulate more wins over tournament teams during a season than teams from an earlier era, and perhaps that element of your formula helps 'modern' teams more on a relative basis, balancing out these other considerations.....

Comment

Working...
                                X