The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Well HS has a point, and certainly pretty much everything has changed. It's like ranking the '27 yankees, they might have been great but....

Still it is a lot of fun to think about. I wonder if, as a percentage of the population, the number of youth hockey players has really risen all that much over the last 40 years.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Correct. Apparently it was sacrificed when USCHO cut all threads that were 2+ years old (or perhaps that hadn't been posted on in 2+ years).

Of course, that thread was done "pre-tweak", so its results would not be exactly the same.
      eh? shouldn't the order of results per era still be the same as their relative order in the combined thread? If not, then wouldn't that anomaly indicate a flaw in the 'tweak'?
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        eh? shouldn't the order of results per era still be the same as their relative order in the combined thread? If not, then wouldn't that anomaly indicate a flaw in the 'tweak'?
        I was speaking mostly in regards to point value.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I was speaking mostly in regards to point value.
          ah, well of course that makes sense.

Once the list is done we can sort by 'era' ourselves to see how they ranked within each 'era', you won't need to duplicate that (unless we define 'era' differently.....)

As you noted earlier, I am curious to the point value insofar as how closely teams are bunched or how widely teams are separated. Your # 12 through # 18 are quite closely bunched, for example, they are all within approximately 1.6% of each other (# 15 and # 16 are basically tied: if you round to one decimal point, their scores are identical!), while there is a clearcut distinction between # 11 and # 19 (approx 11.7% apart).

If this were golf, we might have # 12 - # 18 all tied at 12, then # 19, then # 20 - #23 tied, then # 24 and # 25 tied, or something like that. Still not quite clear on what percentage difference would constitute a 'tie'.....

If you have # 1 scoring 252.65 and # 3 scoring 251.27 that would basically be a three-way tie for first, no?

PS I like releasing # 3, # 2, and # 1 all together with single team releases until then. That's how you did the Greatest Programs thread......
          Last edited by FreshFish; 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

ah, well of course that makes sense.

Once the list is done we can sort by 'era' ourselves to see how they ranked within each 'era', you won't need to duplicate that (unless we define 'era' differently.....)

As you noted earlier, I am curious to the point value insofar as how closely teams are bunched or how widely teams are separated. Your # 12 through # 18 are quite closely bunched, for example, they are all within approximately 1.6% of each other (# 15 and # 16 are basically tied: if you round to one decimal point, their scores are identical!), while there is a clearcut distinction between # 11 and # 19 (approx 11.7% apart).

If this were golf, we might have # 12 - # 18 all tied at 12, then # 19, then # 20 - #23 tied, then # 24 and # 25 tied, or something like that. Still not quite clear on what percentage difference would constitute a 'tie'.....

If you have # 1 scoring 252.65 and # 3 scoring 251.27 that would basically be a three-way tie for first, no?

PS I like releasing # 3, # 2, and # 1 all together with single team releases until then. That's how you did the Greatest Programs thread......
            IMO, if teams are only separated by such a small difference (whatever that is) it basically constitutes a tie, especially because goal differential is a factor in the formula. Does putting home two or three more ENG than the team below you really mean that you are better? Probably not, or at least I would argue that if those two teams played 100 games, they very well might split it 50-50, or perhaps something like 52-48 or 51-49...it would be that close, in my opinion. As far as what point difference equals a tie, I'm not really sure yet. Probably somewhere around 2-4 points is what I would guess. I suppose you could call it a "margin of error" so to speak.

As for the release, I am not pushing for the 3,2,1 approach, but we'll see what happens.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 01-18-2012, 11:20 PM. Reason: forgot "not" in regards to the release
            North Dakota

Comment

Here are the point values for #4-10. I'll post the top 3 when they are released.

#4 - 233.788
              #5 - 229.671
              #6 - 227.047
              #7 - 226.5776
              #8 - 213.5719
              #9 - 1961-1962 Michigan Tech Huskies - 212.8473
              #10 - 1997-1998 Michigan State Spartans - 211.557
              North Dakota

Comment

Here are the point values for #4-10. I'll post the top 3 when they are released.

#4 - 233.788
                #5 - 229.671
                #6 - 227.047
                #7 - 226.5776
                #8 - 213.5719
                #9 - 1961-1962 Michigan Tech Huskies - 212.8473
                #10 - 1997-1998 Michigan State Spartans - 211.557
                A relatively big jump between 7 and 8, greater than half the total spanned by the seven listed here.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  A relatively big jump between 7 and 8, greater than half the total spanned by the seven listed here.
                  indeed....and #5 - #7 is effectively a three-way tie.

Comment

This thread has been a teriffic idea. But, I will be away July 4th weekend. Any chance we can wrap it up before then?
                    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                      This thread has been a teriffic idea. But, I will be away July 4th weekend. Any chance we can wrap it up before then?
                      I'm glad you enjoy the thread, and hopefully you can make it through the next 5 weeks without too much inconvenience.
                      North Dakota

Comment

I'm glad you enjoy the thread, and hopefully you can make it through the next 5 weeks without too much inconvenience.
                        have you worked out the revised release schedule?

Comment

have you worked out the revised release schedule?
                          Yes. #8 was supposed to be released yesterday, but due to some computer glitches, it will be released here shortly. Here is the revised schedule...

#8 - Today
                          #7 - January 29th
                          #6 - February 5th
                          #5 - February 12th
                          #4 - February 19th
                          #3 - February 26th
                          #2 - February 26th
                          #1 - February 26th
                          North Dakota

Comment

Yes. #8 was supposed to be released yesterday, but due to some computer glitches, it will be released here shortly. Here is the revised schedule...

and quite late in the day on Sunday (barring future computer glitches or other unscheduled disruptions)?

Comment

and quite late in the day on Sunday (barring future computer glitches or other unscheduled disruptions)?
                              It depends really. We haven't found a new web designer yet, so I have been doing my best to keep up with the site. Obviously, I have other priorities first, but I typically try to have the site done earlier in the day. If we find a new web person in the next few weeks, I would imagine that we would go back to our standard of having the website updated before noon (eastern) every day. However, it doesn't look like the guys have the funds to hire a web designer at this point, so it will probably be me doing it for the next couple months.
                              North Dakota

Comment

It depends really. We haven't found a new web designer yet, so I have been doing my best to keep up with the site. Obviously, I have other priorities first, but I typically try to have the site done earlier in the day. If we find a new web person in the next few weeks, I would imagine that we would go back to our standard of having the website updated before noon (eastern) every day. However, it doesn't look like the guys have the funds to hire a web designer at this point, so it will probably be me doing it for the next couple months.
                                Well your efforts are very much appreciated, and good luck to your friend in getting more traffic to his site!

Comment

Working...
                                X