X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Top 25 College Hockey Teams of the NCAA Era

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    Sorry for having an opinion
    f-em who cares. Apparently only he/she has enough clout to ask a question or voice their opinion...

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      To win the championship they beat North Dakota and Boston University. I believe we know who they are. Now, if anyone can shed some light on who "Brock Hall" and "Amesbury" are, then perhaps people will stop criticizing the Gophers.

Also, does anyone know of any other school that claims an AAU title? This is a serious question and not meant to be a barb thrown at Minnesota.
      And the Gophers played and beat Michigan, Michigan Tech, Princeton, etc... the year the won the 1940 championship. Do you know who they are?

Comment

Originally posted by mariucci View Post
        Championship debate going and I replied with my opinion, if that "upsets" you I really couldn't care less. And I wanted to know more about 23's formula, so I asked...

Unless of course your question has more.
        what the hell does NFL Titles/super bowls and NCAA football titles have to do with this thread? nothing...what does taking a jab at badger fans have to do with this thread? nothing. That's why he's calling the thread derailed...you wanna comment about the AAU title and the half title in 1929 fine, give your opinion...just no need to make personal attacks at badger fans over football in here.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Having an opinion is great. But i've read it 175 times. I think once was enough.
          Did you feel the need to come to someones rescue? I'll be at work tonight (unfortunately cant make the game, was called in), we'll be arresting many drunks with loud obnoxious opinions, I'd be elated to have you come down to the station and play hero for the night.. You can police the area much like you're tempting to do here...

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Having an opinion is great. But i've read it 175 times. I think once was enough.
            LOL! Take a hike bozo. This has been an ongoing debate with FS23 and I. And like the saying goes, it takes two to tango.

Comment

Did you feel the need to come to someones rescue? I'll be at work tonight (unfortunately cant make the game, was called in), we'll be arresting many drunks with loud obnoxious opinions, I'd be elated to have you come down to the station and play hero for the night.. You can police the area much like you're tempting to do here...
              Is this you continuing to not care what I think?
              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                what the hell does NFL Titles/super bowls and NCAA football titles have to do with this thread? nothing...what does taking a jab at badger fans have to do with this thread? nothing. That's why he's calling the thread derailed...you wanna comment about the AAU title and the half title in 1929 fine, give your opinion...just no need to make personal attacks at badger fans over football in here.
                Go back a few dozen pages and you'll find the simplicity of your ignorance answered. If that gets your panties in a twist I couldn't care less...

Comment

There is no way possible to judge SOS etc accurately 70yrs later. It was tournament play all teams had equal opportunity to win the Championship. Has the sport changed and level of play changed, absolutely.. A championship is a championship.
                  If the Yankees somehow got eligibility to play in the Little League World Series, would all the teams have an "equal" opportunity to win the Championship. No. You HAVE to look at the teams that were invited to judge whether the tournament is valid.

Originally posted by mariucci
                  Consider this.

If the NCAA era ended today:
                  Would all League Championships mean less because of that?
                  In 70yrs would there be founded, unfounded, accurate or inaccurate debate over SOS? How does this arguemnt end? One word, and the only one that matters, "championship"..
                  You are missing my point. The NCAA Tournament does its best to put the top teams to play each other for a title. The AAU Tournament didn't feature the top teams...not even close.

I get a real kick out of having this discussion/debate with the WI sports fan (not you obviously). The vast majority convieniently have counting to 13 down pat but can't count to 6 (or refuse to). They flat out refuse to aknowledge the gopher football program (however pathetic they may be) has 6 more championships than the Badgers, but will throw the "axe" around like pro's, and many are convieniently Twins fans?!?!
                  I don't care about Minnesota's Football Program, and I don't understand why this point is brought up here.

Bottom line, a championship is a championship, and the only legit argument here is wether or not to give the Gophs the "hook" for 29' (hook is a 1/2) shared championship via polls with Yale.
                  The fact is that the 1940 AAU Championship featured no other universities except for Minnesota. If we are talking about winning titles via polls, then there are a lot of schools that need to hang up some more banners. Minnesota's program and history are extremely impressive, but it is sad and pathetic that Gopher fans need to try to bring up quasi-titles like they are NCAA Championships. They are not. No other school in the country claims "National" titles from before the NCAA Tournament. Rest on the great history of your program.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Comparing this to the Yankees playing in the little league world series now?

To say that is laughable would be the understatement of the millennium.

Comment

Minnesota's program and history are extremely impressive, but it is sad and pathetic that Gopher fans need to try to bring up quasi-titles like they are NCAA Championships. They are not. No other school in the country claims "National" titles from before the NCAA Tournament. Rest on the great history of your program.
                      This.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Look at Minnesota's 1939-40 schedule.

12/14/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 10-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* nc*
                        12/15/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,500* nc*
                        12/29/1939 ** Yale* 3-0* W* * St. Paul Auditorium, MN* 3,500* nc*
                        12/30/1939 ** Yale* 7-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
                        1/5/1940 ** Illinois* 8-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
                        1/6/1940 ** Illinois* 10-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
                        1/12/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
                        1/13/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 8-0* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
                        1/18/1940 ** Michigan* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,000* *
                        1/20/1940 ** Michigan* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
                        2/2/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 7-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,500* nc*
                        2/3/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
                        2/9/1940 ** Illinois* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* *
                        2/10/1940 ** Illinois* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
                        2/24/1940 ** Michigan* 7-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
                        2/26/1940 ** Michigan* 5-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
                        3/2/1940 ** Amesbury* 9-4* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*
                        3/3/1940 ** Brock Hall* 9-1* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*

Just because no other universities made the Gophers playoff schedule doesn't mean other universities weren't involved. Have you considered that those "amateur" teams may have beaten out the other universities for playoff spots? Or, maybe even beaten other universities to advance to face Minnesota in the playoffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                          If the Yankees somehow got eligibility to play in the Little League World Series, would all the teams have an "equal" opportunity to win the Championship. No. You HAVE to look at the teams that were invited to judge whether the tournament is valid.

You are missing my point. The NCAA Tournament does its best to put the top teams to play each other for a title. The AAU Tournament didn't feature the top teams...not even close.

I don't care about Minnesota's Football Program, and I don't understand why this point is brought up here.

The fact is that the 1940 AAU Championship featured no other universities except for Minnesota. If we are talking about winning titles via polls, then there are a lot of schools that need to hang up some more banners. Minnesota's program and history are extremely impressive, but it is sad and pathetic that Gopher fans need to try to bring up quasi-titles like they are NCAA Championships. They are not. No other school in the country claims "National" titles from before the NCAA Tournament. Rest on the great history of your program.

So your main point is you dont like that 1940 banner hung up because UND, UW, etc were not around during that time and that "championship" doesn't or shouldn't count?

So with that logic in 70yrs considering there will be many more changes (using history as a lesson) the current era will have equal weight? Got it....

People can gripe or complain, or even go as far as believing they qualify as judge and jury over a program 70yrs later won't change or bring down that banner.

And btw, I wasn't busting your chops I was asking you a question, thicken your skin if you're going to post a thread on here that "judges" someones school, you're going to get questions and catch some flack...

And your dig at Gopher fans trying to act as if the 40' championship has the same weight as an NCAA wreaks of bias..
                          Last edited by mariucci; 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Minnesota's program and history are extremely impressive, but it is sad and pathetic that Gopher fans need to try to bring up quasi-titles like they are NCAA Championships. They are not. No other school in the country claims "National" titles from before the NCAA Tournament. Rest on the great history of your program.
                            This is the biggest load of crap I have EVER read. So, we're supposed to completely ignore a portion of our program's history, the great players who played in it, and devalue the accomplishments they achieved because you don't value that portion of history?

And what a ****ing lying piece of crap you are. What was with that whole sob routine you laid on me several weeks ago when I accused you of ignoring this portion of college hockey history and you swore to the heavens that you DID NOT? I think you actually said that you "didn't appreciate being called a liar".

Well you are pal.

Comment

I don't think FS23 is the one that needs thicker skin.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                                Look at Minnesota's 1939-40 schedule.

12/14/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 10-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* nc*
                                12/15/1939 ** London A.C. (ONT)* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,500* nc*
                                12/29/1939 ** Yale* 3-0* W* * St. Paul Auditorium, MN* 3,500* nc*
                                12/30/1939 ** Yale* 7-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
                                1/5/1940 ** Illinois* 8-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
                                1/6/1940 ** Illinois* 10-2* W* at * Champaign, IL* * *
                                1/12/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
                                1/13/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 8-0* W* at * Houghton, MI* * nc*
                                1/18/1940 ** Michigan* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,000* *
                                1/20/1940 ** Michigan* 5-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
                                2/2/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 7-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 2,500* nc*
                                2/3/1940 ** Michigan Tech* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * nc*
                                2/9/1940 ** Illinois* 9-1* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* 3,000* *
                                2/10/1940 ** Illinois* 9-2* W* * Minneapolis Arena, MN* * *
                                2/24/1940 ** Michigan* 7-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
                                2/26/1940 ** Michigan* 5-0* W* at * Ann Arbor, MI* * *
                                3/2/1940 ** Amesbury* 9-4* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*
                                3/3/1940 ** Brock Hall* 9-1* W* at * Lake Placid, NY* * nihc*

Just because no other universities made the Gophers playoff schedule doesn't mean other universities weren't involved. Have you considered that those "amateur" teams may have beaten out the other universities for playoff spots? Or, maybe even beaten other universities to advance to face Minnesota in the playoffs?
                                For reference...Michigan Tech went 10-5 that year, 4 of the 5 losses to Minnesota (obviously).
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X