Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10/14-10/15 Wisconsin at Michigan Tech: Foulest Smell? Skunk in Popcorn Box or Ferret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 10/14-10/15 Wisconsin at Michigan Tech: Foulest Smell? Skunk in Popcorn Box or Fe

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post

Pretty clear, Peterson has the puck. Ramage is skating up to him and Pietila hits Ramage into the goalie, forcing both of them to fall.

From the rulebook, "If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed."

I rest my case.

Comment

Re: 10/14-10/15 Wisconsin at Michigan Tech: Foulest Smell? Skunk in Popcorn Box or Fe

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      From the rulebook, "If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed."

It's simply inexcusable that the refs let that one go.
      Looks like you're quoting the NHL rulebook there. Here's the relevant section of the NCAA rulebook:

Interference
      SECTION 29.
      e. The privileged area (defined in Rule 1-12) includes the goal crease. The goalkeeper may not be body checked in this area (Rule 6-6-b). Incidental contact, at the discretion of the referee, may be permitted while the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside the goal crease. The goalkeeper is allowed to freeze the puck in this area to prevent a goal.

The contact with the goalkeeper was incident to Pietila and Ramage's fighting for position as they approached the puck, and the referee used the discretion allowed him by the rules to let play continue...presumably because he detected no intent to interfere and Pietila was not solely responsible for the goalkeeper's wipeout.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
        Looks like you're quoting the NHL rulebook there. Here's the relevant section of the NCAA rulebook:

Interference
        SECTION 29.
        e. The privileged area (defined in Rule 1-12) includes the goal crease. The goalkeeper may not be body checked in this area (Rule 6-6-b). Incidental contact, at the discretion of the referee, may be permitted while the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside the goal crease. The goalkeeper is allowed to freeze the puck in this area to prevent a goal.

The contact with the goalkeeper was incident to Pietila and Ramage's fighting for position as they approached the puck, and the referee used the discretion allowed him by the rules to let play continue...presumably because he detected no intent to interfere and Pietila was not solely responsible for the goalkeeper's wipeout.
        I'm utterly baffled at the thought that Pietila was not solely responsible for the goalkeepers wipe out. If he doesn't check the defenseman into the goalie, the goalie doesn't fall down and there is no goal.

Comment

Chuck, I cannot find that in the NCAA rulebook - can you point to the section and/or page number?

Comment

What's your goalie doing back there to begin with? Had he stayed in his little blue safe zone...
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I'm utterly baffled at the thought that Pietila was not solely responsible for the goalkeepers wipe out. If he doesn't check the defenseman into the goalie, the goalie doesn't fall down and there is no goal.
              Just watched the replay again a couple of times. Ramage's legs take out Peterson as he attempts to turn toward Pietila and they come into contact. If it was Pietila hitting him into Peterson, I'd expect him to be off balance and the upper part of his body hitting Peterson. That's not the case, he almost loses his edge as he is cutting back towards the net.
              MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

When you check into a thread and somebody (or several somebodys) are conducting rules seminars, you know immediately who won and who lost. The Badger posters here aren't yet in the same league with the UAA whiners, but they gave it the old college try. It looks to me like the zebras got the call right. Anyway, great win for Tech. Way to go. You may have noticed our guys had a pretty good night in Beantown.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

I'm obviously not going to change anyone's mind and that's fine. There is nothing that can be done now. Tech officially wins the game whether I think it's correct or not. We'll see you tomorrow night. This is my last comment on the subject.

Comment

Go figure this wouldn't end without controversy and a catfight at some point.

I'm biased, but obviously the call is at the discretion of the ref, and in this case his decision favored Tech. We're three games into the season, so as far as I'm concerned, BFD. If the Badgers are a good team, they will rebound from this perceived injustice.

Comment

Eaves quote: "Judging by the sheepishness of the two young referees, they had no command of the play."

Excellent. If Wisconsin gets called for a cheap penalty early on tomorrow, I'm thinking the sweep is on.

Comment

I'm obviously not going to change anyone's mind and that's fine. There is nothing that can be done now. Tech officially wins the game whether I think it's correct or not. We'll see you tomorrow night. This is my last comment on the subject.
                        I'm hoping to see the same team from Tech come out again tomorrow. If they do.... they have a good chance at the same result. I just hope it's not against a really really ****ed off Badger team. Last game I think we won against Wisconsin in the Kohl Center was a Friday. The Saturday night game... well... That was awful.
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I'll admit I'm no expert on the rules, so I can't comment on that, but I thought this quote from Brett Olson, who had the assist on the goal, says a lot

"One of our guys might have bumped into their guy, who might have bumped into their goalie," Olson said. "It's a bounce.

"We'll take it."
                          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Interesting turn of events--don't think I've ever seen that happen. On another note Tech looks pretty good. Opening up 3-0 for a little while tonight they were number one in the PWR. I told my buddy to take a screen shot--it may be the only time in modern history. :-)
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Go figure this wouldn't end without controversy and a catfight at some point.

I'm biased, but obviously the call is at the discretion of the ref, and in this case his decision favored Tech. We're three games into the season, so as far as I'm concerned, BFD. If the Badgers are a good team, they will rebound from this perceived injustice.
                              MN was called for a CFB, which was a literal shoulder-to-shoulder hit. Penalty (prob boarding, 2 or 4 minutes) tonight. Completely errant call. They somehow still won. So, WI, take that for what it's worth.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                The Badger posters here aren't yet in the same league with the UAA whiners, but they gave it the old college try.

Put the bottle of Drambuie away; you're beyond drunk.

Comment

Working...
                                X