• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Concussions

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode...yers-1.3242270

Comment

From the last paragraph in the article "How Atletes Get Great"...interview of David Epstein...

"Of course, with the concussion crisis, there’s clearly a gene that predisposes people to sustaining more damage from getting hit in the head than other people and I think it’s crazy that testing for it is not in wider use. I understand the fears of it going into wider use, but this isn’t a place where you should be hiding from any information. Even though it’s just statistical info, it’s not destiny to have a gene."

Comment

No good place for this question, so I'll throw it out here because it might be marginally related(??) - did anyone see the penalty that got Yale's Jamie Haddad a suspension on Friday against Princeton? Watched her play for years and never would have pegged her for a penalty resulting in a suspension..... and the penalty was a simple checking penalty (not charging, hit to the head, hit from behind, boarding, roughing, etc.) and I don't know that I've ever seen a player suspended for a checking penalty before. Just curious...

Comment

I didn't see it, but maybe the league reviewed the hit and felt it should have been a CFB, and thus, a game misconduct. Clearly, they felt that the referees erred in the penalty given versus the infraction committed.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/online...ckey-2015.html
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

agree 100%.

what I have noticed over many [ok, too many] years....is that because of the "no checking" in girls hockey....the girls never seem to develop that "feeling" you get when you know you are about to get drilled....and as a result, may hits [intentional or otherwise] come as a complete shock to the recipient....and they don't defend against the hit. I learned very early on...like age 8 or so...that you never trust anyone on the ice....always expect the other player to hit you...Always. Do that, and many if not most concussions could be avoided.

Comment

Her claim that "a lack of strength and conditioning is a big reason for the alarmingly high incidence of concussions in girls’ hockey" wouldn't seem to hold much water, if any, at the D1 level.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                  Her claim that "a lack of strength and conditioning is a big reason for the alarmingly high incidence of concussions in girls’ hockey" wouldn't seem to hold much water, if any, at the D1 level.
                  I have read that weaker neck muscles is a contributing factor. I don't know how much strength training women - or men - do on their necks.
                  I met a guy when we liven in Florida who was a retired carny. His gimmick was people would pay a dollar to go 3 rounds with him & if they could knock him out they won $500. He claimed he never paid out partly because nobody knows how to throw a punch but mostly because because he used to lift weights with his neck. He had head gear with a 25lg disk on it & he would raise & lower it for hours. But that is not evidence, just anecdote.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                    I have read that weaker neck muscles is a contributing factor. I don't know how much strength training women - or men - do on their necks.
                    I met a guy when we liven in Florida who was a retired carny. His gimmick was people would pay a dollar to go 3 rounds with him & if they could knock him out they won $500. He claimed he never paid out partly because nobody knows how to throw a punch but mostly because because he used to lift weights with his neck. He had head gear with a 25lg disk on it & he would raise & lower it for hours. But that is not evidence, just anecdote.
                    I remember neck muscle exercises we had to do in PhyEd that were from the training regimen of the wrestling team. Recently read when thinking about this very topic that those exercises are no longer recommended.

The neck roll while bridged / arched inverted supported completely by your head on the mat...and feet at the other end.

Anyone else have to do those?
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                      Yes, I realize that's part of the issue but she was referring to core strength and overall strength which is what my comment was addressing.

Interesting story, by the way.

Comment

On the surface these types of things usually seem logical at first glance...but when government gets involved there is always mission creep and unintended consequences...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...orts-1.3336575

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          The neck roll while bridged / arched inverted supported completely by your head on the mat...and feet at the other end.

Anyone else have to do those?
                          Oh yeah, did it again when I was practicing judo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brookster in another thread...don't miss the video below the article...you have to scroll down thru some ads to get to it...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_...-and-more-dire
                            Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Here's an article in today's New York Times on the subject of concussions in women's hockey:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/20/sp...tml?ref=sports

Comment

Concussion and suicide connection...

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/t...ests-1.3441633

Comment

Working...
                                X