3. CC
    4. BU
    5. Miami
    6. UND
    7. Yale
    8. BC
    9. UNO
    10. Michigan
    Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Re: 2011-2012 NCAA Preseason Rankings

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      I guess I haven't bought into the Merrimack hype. The same could be said for Western Michigan, who could be a top-10 team. As for New Hampshire, they always have the potential to be a top team, so I wouldn't be surprised if they wind up there at season's end. Right now though, I think the ten I listed are better, or at least have fewer question marks, than any of these squads.
      There's no hype out there around the Mack this season since DaCosta departed. But there should be, IMO. This is a pretty darn good team and well coached. Anyone who saw them play Notre Dame in the NCAA regional last spring has a feel for how good they can be, and a lot of that team returns.

Merrimack returns 3 of the top 10 HE point scorers (Flanigan (sniper), Todd & Collins)
      Defense: 2nd leading HE D point scorer (Stollery) and a cast of monster D that I consider to be among the best in Hockey East as a D corp (Heywood (So), Ellis (So), Bigos (Jr)). These guys put a hurtin' on opponents and can slow down the speediest of teams.
      Goaltending: Joe Cannata. He stepped it up last year and is now one of HE premier goalies.

I will be very surprised if they don't finish in the top 3-4 Hockey East. Depth on the forward lines may be their downfall, but Dennehy has shown the ability to recruit some pretty good players since becoming HC, so my guess is they'll be fine.

There are snipers in Maine. Questionable goaltending.

This all coming from a BC guy.
      And no, I don't have the time to commit to the committee, but I will be happy to share thoughts on this thread.
      Last edited by FiveHole12; 09-24-2011, 07:56 AM.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

One of the biggest problems with this is that very few people get enough exposure to rank fairly. Even if you see a few games in the other end of the country it's nigh on to impossible to see enough to make any kind of rational decisions. TV helps but it takes the flavor of the game away.
        I hope Merrimack is dominant, and I wonder about AA. They were playing well at the end of last year.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          There's no hype out there around the Mack this season since DaCosta departed. But there should be, IMO. This is a pretty darn good team and well coached.
          Merrimack returns 3 of the top 10 HE point scorers (Flanigan, Todd & Collins)
          Defense: 2nd leading HE D point scorer (Stollery) and a cast of monster D that I consider to be among the best in Hockey East as a D corp (Heywood (So), Ellis (So), Bigos (Jr)). These guys put a hurtin' on opponents and can slow down the speediest of teams.
          Goaltending: Joe Cannata. He stepped it up last year and is now one of HE premier goalies.

I will be very surprised if they don't finish in the top 3-4 Hockey East. Depth on the forward lines may be their downfall, but Dennehy has shown the ability to recruit some pretty good players since becoming HC, so my guess is they'll be fine.

This all coming from a BC guy.
          And no, I don't have the time to commit to the committee, but I will be happy to share thoughts on this thread.
          FWIW, I think I'm just going to have a weekly thread on here, and have people post their top 10. Perhaps that may be a commitment that you are more willing to make? (i.e. a weekly post of your top 10 in my weekly thread on here)

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          One of the biggest problems with this is that very few people get enough exposure to rank fairly. Even if you see a few games in the other end of the country it's nigh on to impossible to see enough to make any kind of rational decisions. TV helps but it takes the flavor of the game away.
          I hope Merrimack is dominant, and I wonder about AA. They were playing well at the end of last year.
          I completely agree. That is why I want to get a top 10 from across the geographic spectrum of college hockey. As for UAA, I think they'll be a lot better than some people might think. I think they'll push for home ice in the WCHA and could potentially make a run at the NCAAs. They are a darkhorse for sure, but have a lot of the parts that make up a good team.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

FWIW, I think I'm just going to have a weekly thread on here, and have people post their top 10. Perhaps that may be a commitment that you are more willing to make? (i.e. a weekly post of your top 10 in my weekly thread on here)
            Good idea. I can probably do that, but may miss a week or 2,3,6.
            Then you can tabulate your top 10 from this thread (you sneaky one you).... BRILLIANT!
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

1.) Denver
              2.) Miami
              3.) Notre Dame
              4.) Colorado College
              5.) Michigan
              6.) Boston University
              7.) Boston College
              8.) Minnesota Duluth
              9.) North Dakota
              10) Nebraska Omaha
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                Good idea. I can probably do that, but may miss a week or 2,3,6.
                Then you can tabulate your top 10 from this thread (you sneaky one you).... BRILLIANT!
                Thank you. Plus, it allows where if you do miss a week to tabulate using another poster from your region. Ideally, I'd like to have somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 voters, with a good representation from each conference and east/west split.
                North Dakota

Comment

Thank you. Plus, it allows where if you do miss a week to tabulate using another poster from your region. Ideally, I'd like to have somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 voters, with a good representation from each conference and east/west split.
                  Glad once again to be reading the pre-season banter. For those in the know, of which I am not, I haven't heard any mention of UNH in this thread.
                  Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Nice work as always FS23, I'm afraid I may be a little biased in voting as I always think the Gophers are in the top ten.

But I will enjoy reading through the thread weekly, I will just bow out of attempting to vote.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

My rankings are similar to fishcore12. These are the 16 teams I think make the NCAA Tournament.

I have followed college hockey since 1990, and in my opinion, this appears to be the least amount of talent in college that I have witnessed. With 25-30 players turning pro each summer now, combined with the annual summer CHL defections, there are few teams with important Sr. classes.

1. Denver (Brittain returns in winter to lead Denver in NCAA's)
                      2. Notre Dame (Tynan and Lee will lead ND to the Frozen. Is goalie Johnson good enough?)
                      3. Boston University (return some talent, may not reach potential though)
                      4. Colorado College (Schwartz should win Hobey)

5. Miami (Strong D and G, freshman will be key to achieve this level. High number of seniors will be valuable in March.)
                      6. North Dakota
                      7. Boston College
                      8. Nebraska Omaha
                      9. Union
                      10. Michigan
                      11. Minnesota-Duluth
                      12. Yale
                      13. New Hampshire
                      14. Western Michigan
                      15. Alaska Fairbanks
                      16. RIT

Bubble: Minnesota, Merrimack, St. Cloud, Wisconsin

Comment

This is easy!!!
                        Du
                        Cc
                        Und
                        Uno
                        Uminn
                        Duluth
                        Scsu
                        Bsu
                        UW
                        Aa

And if we go to 12
                        Tech
                        Mankato!!!

Western bias!!!
                        Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Sorry jdr1, but that's a bit too biased...I like it though

So far, here are those who I have as voters for the preaseason poll:
                          Fighting Sioux 23 (west)
                          manurespreader (west)
                          fishcore12 (east)
                          OnionMan (east)
                          alnike (west)

If I have your region incorrect (i.e. east/west) please let me know. With that being said, I would really like to get 3 more westerners and 4 more easterners for a total of 12. For the purposes of determining region, if you are predominately a fan of a team in the CCHA or WCHA, then you are from the west. If you are a fan of a team in the ECAC, Hockey East or Atlantic Hockey, then you are from the east.

Also, don't feel as though you are committed to being a voter for the entire year. I've pretty much scrapped that idea in favor of a "vote when you can" approach. I fully anticipate that the voters will differ somewhat from week to week, but I would like to keep a consistent east/west split if at all possible.
                          North Dakota

Comment

1. Notre D. - I think everyone else has made their case enough
                            2. DU - Brittain may be out for a while, but I think you have to factor one of the best goalies in the country as he will be back, and Murray isn't a sieve, just needs some experience. Plus, they could always pull like an '03-ish Gophers and just go beat teams 7-5.
                            3. BU - Did they seriously lose one F, one D and a 3rd string goalie?!?
                            4. Miami - Initially had them at 2, but they weren't a balanced team scoring so the loss of Camper, Miele and Cannone REALLY hurts. Those highly-touted freshmen need to come up big fast.
                            5. CC - Truthfully I'm not sold on Howe yet, but ala DU, this team is so loaded with offensive firepower they may win a lot of shootouts. And how long do the Schwartzs stay? This could already be a last hurrah for them.
                            6. Mich - Well the #1 recruiting class in the land better come through, bc they were decimated by losses, maybe none bigger than Hunwick but luckily for them Bryce Hogan wasn't too shabby in his ice time last year.
                            7. Union - I'm surprised as you that I put in an EZAC team as high as 7 but Kinkaid is a threat to steal a game every night and they're a balanced team with good chemistry.
                            8. BC - Like Michigan, a team that lost a lot and are going to have to rely on talent over experience.
                            9. UNO - Blais lost basically his top line and that's tough to rebound from but Faulkner is a solider goaltender returning and the Megna brothers are gonna be something SPECTACULAR to watch.
                            10. UMD - I may get flack for being an SCSU fan to put the defending champion Bulldogs this low, but to be fair, I have them as the 4th best WCHA team which is where they finished before going on the run. Losing Faulk, Fontaine and M. Conn. hurts, and honestly, I think the reason I keep them in the top 10 is bc they return their goalie tandem and J.T. Brown is every bit as electrifying as the much more known J. Conn.

Wish I could say more about the WCHA, but after looking at their incoming freshmen classes, I'm not as impressed as I normally am. Agree with FS23... UND will be a team that will struggle pre-Christmas break. Come March and April, probably one of the last teams you'll wanna see, especially when Rocco gets the pace and flow of NCAA hockey.
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              7. Union - I'm surprised as you that I put in an EZAC team as high as 7 but Kinkaid is a threat to steal a game every night and they're a balanced team with good chemistry.
                              Kinkaid turned pro.

I think that moves them back to #26.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Kinkaid turned pro.

I think that moves them back to #26.
                                According to that poll, they're #29 now.

Comment

Working...
                                X