Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: double standard?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    56

    double standard?

    when the teams left the CHA no one got mad at bemidiji state,Air force,RM or Sacred heart for leaving UAH hang out to dry. Infact we all praised Bemidiji state for looking out for there program and moving to the WCHA. However when the big schools like Wisconsin look out for there program there considered evil because there not doing "what best for college hockey".Why such a double standard?

  2. #2
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,514

    Re: double standard?

    No auto bid. Christ, is there a dumber poster on here?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: double standard?

    That's funny, I thought that the CCHA as a whole got roundly skewered (by me included) on these boards for not accepting Huntsville.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

  4. #4
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    202,728

    Re: double standard?

    Sacred Heart? I guess it was all their fault.

  5. #5
    Registered User moose97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Hoagland, IN
    Posts
    4,456

    Re: double standard?

    I'll try to play nice:

    No one got mad at RMU or Niagara when they were accepted to AHA (Jan 29, '09) or BSU when they were accepted to the WCHA (June '09) because when they "left UAH hang out to dry," the CHA had already voted to disband! (Jan 8, '09).
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

    AHA:
    B1G: UMinn, UWisc
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass, Notre Dame
    NCHC: UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    WCHA: UAH, BSU, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU

    Inactive: BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

  6. #6
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    6,179

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by gophfan View Post
    when the teams left the CHA no one got mad at bemidiji state,Air force,RM or Sacred heart for leaving UAH hang out to dry. Infact we all praised Bemidiji state for looking out for there program and moving to the WCHA. However when the big schools like Wisconsin look out for there program there considered evil because there not doing "what best for college hockey".Why such a double standard?
    "There," "they're," and "their" are three different words. Please learn to use them so your posts are actually readable.
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    37

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    "There," "they're," and "their" are three different words. Please learn to use them so your posts are actually readable.
    Seriously? You decided to post on here, just to tear apart someones grammer?

    Double standard? Yes.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by UMDdangler View Post
    Seriously? You decided to post on here, just to tear apart someones grammer?

    Double standard? Yes.
    How else did we get through one of those really stupid threads a few weeks ago? Grammar lessons were the answer.

  9. #9
    Squished you, peasanty!
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Burninating the countryside.
    Posts
    1,842

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Sacred Heart? I guess it was all their fault.
    I guess you can break up a conference by not ever being a member.

    ...Maybe the real reason the CHA broke up was because they INVITED Sacred Heart.
    UConn -- Clarkson

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,639

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    "There," "they're," and "their" are three different words. Please learn to use them so your posts are actually readable.
    not that proper grammar would make his posts readable anyways...
    AF 99

    M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    560

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by gophfan View Post
    when the teams left the CHA no one got mad at bemidiji state,Air force,RM or Sacred heart for leaving UAH hang out to dry. Infact we all praised Bemidiji state for looking out for there program and moving to the WCHA. However when the big schools like Wisconsin look out for there program there considered evil because there not doing "what best for college hockey".Why such a double standard?
    Trying to address the question asked, rather than criticize the person posting, which is all too common on here...

    I think the answer has a lot to do with "ability to pay." It's not a double standard per se, it's a different standard. Bigger schools are expected to carry a heavier load for "the good of college hockey" because they can. Sort of similar to President Obama's entreaty for the rich to "pay their fair share." (For the record, I personally think the two are very different, which is why I support the President and the NCHC). But what I get from discussions in the other threads is that there is a sense, mostly among the smaller schools, that the bigger schools have a higher burden.

    So yes, I suppose it is a double standard. It's also a reasonable position. Just not one I agree with.

    I don't believe the concept of the "greater good" extends to college athletics, at least not anymore.

  12. #12
    Like-Minded Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Behind enemy lines
    Posts
    1,285
    Quote Originally Posted by bbutzin View Post
    I don't believe the concept of the "greater good" extends to college athletics, at least not anymore.
    No $hit.

  13. #13
    Frankenstein's Monster
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20,093

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    "There," "they're," and "their" are three different words. Please learn to use them so your posts are actually readable.
    You're expecting some Goofer Slappy to be able to use Grammar??

    CHA was dying on the vine. They have schools like Findlay and Wayne State fold up shop on them. Air Force outright left them. It was all a bunch of small schools trying to be D1 programs that were getting killed with having to put up with the travel costs of having to go from Huntsville, to Bemidji, to Buffalo and Pittsburgh, and not a whole lot of other points in between.
    bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

    It just happens.


    nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

    leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

    Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by gophfan View Post
    when the teams left the CHA no one got mad at bemidiji state,Air force,RM or Sacred heart for leaving UAH hang out to dry. Infact we all praised Bemidiji state for looking out for there program and moving to the WCHA. However when the big schools like Wisconsin look out for there program there considered evil because there not doing "what best for college hockey".Why such a double standard?

    Given the amount of spelling you gopher fans do, albeit not quite as much as in previous years, i would think spelling Bemidji would be a simple task. I stand corrected.

    B-E-M-I-D-I-J-I BE-MID-I-JI BE-MID-I-JI GO BE-AVE-ERER-SERS ?

    Also I believe you spelled Niagara incorrectly.

  15. #15
    Dammit, Gorilla!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hometown: Plymouth, MN Currently: Champlin, M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A
    Posts
    2,001

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by 7&7 View Post
    Given the amount of spelling you gopher fans do, albeit not quite as much as in previous years, i would think spelling Bemidji would be a simple task. I stand corrected.

    B-E-M-I-D-I-J-I BE-MID-I-JI BE-MID-I-JI GO BE-AVE-ERER-SERS ?

    Also I believe you spelled Niagara incorrectly.
    Just because we can spell our own name doesn't mean we have to know how to spell brrrmidji. Ok, well some of us do know how so please do not put the rest of the Gopher fans in the same boat as "gophfan".
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

    USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

    Everything is Hill's fault.....

    "Hakstol you hack!!!!"

  16. #16
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,943

    Re: double standard?

    Let's be fair here guys. The Gopher fan (snort) has a great point about how everyone should be looking out for their best interest. Wisconsin should get together with the other Big Ten schools that take football seriously and kick Minnesota, Northwestern and Indiana out of the league. They're just sucking money out of teams with stadiums with double their capacity. They can go mope about in CUSA until they feel like getting their act together. My God, Indiana is playing at North Texas tomorrow. That's no way for a Leader or Legend to treat their premiere sport.

    /s
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  17. #17
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Let's be fair here guys. The Gopher fan (snort) has a great point about how everyone should be looking out for their best interest. Wisconsin should get together with the other Big Ten schools that take football seriously and kick Minnesota, Northwestern and Indiana out of the league. They're just sucking money out of teams with stadiums with double their capacity. They can go mope about in CUSA until they feel like getting their act together. My God, Indiana is playing at North Texas tomorrow. That's no way for a Leader or Legend to treat their premiere sport.

    /s
    Tell you what, how about after Wisconsin wins as many National Championships in football as Minnesota, you come back and make this suggestion. It will never happen in your lifetime, so don't hold your breath.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  18. #18
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Tell you what, how about after Wisconsin wins as many National Championships in football as Minnesota, you come back and make this suggestion. It will never happen in your lifetime, so don't hold your breath.
    Who gives a crap about titles won decades ago?
    The NCHC didn't when they ignored Tech, why should the Big Ten care about Minnesota, which hasn't been relevant in football in 50 years?

  19. #19
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    30,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Tell you what, how about after Wisconsin wins as many National Championships in football as Minnesota, you come back and make this suggestion. It will never happen in your lifetime, so don't hold your breath.
    If these recent realignments in football and hockey have taught us anything, it's that tradition no longer matters, just $$$, so your point is pretty irrelevant...

  20. #20
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: double standard?

    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Who gives a crap about titles won decades ago?
    The NCHC didn't when they ignored Tech, why should the Big Ten care about Minnesota, which hasn't been relevant in football in 50 years?
    It has to do with the Haves and haves-nots. Minnesota has multiple national championships in football, and Wisconsin has-not. If Wisconsin is so ****ing awesome, then how come they have a losing record against the horrible Gophers? I guess you guys sucked for longer in the Big Ten then Minnesota. Barry Alvarez almost won a championship in 1993, but he got beat by Minnesota.


    but, to answer your question, the Twin Cities is a much larger TV audience than Madison.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •