The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2011-2012 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2011-2012 Edition

Alright DIII Fans... time to wake up! It's that time of the year, and with much verbiage copied from last year's thread... here we go again! Labor Day has passed, and that can only mean one thing... time to break-out:

The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls Thread!

You know the drill, or at least you should by now. It’s simple, just rank the pre-season top-10 (yes, 10!), and you will be scored on how well you picked 'em, in a method that is (as always) completely void of any statistical merit! No prizes awarded, other than pride. (Yes, I still owe some of you beverages!)

Like prior years, the scores will be tallied once the offical USCHO poll comes-out, which is typically mid-October. Then, I’ll go through the same scoring exercise mid-season and at the end of the year as well.

So without further delay...
    The Method to the Madness
    What is required of you is simple, just post your top 10 (again - yes, 10... I am 'old school'! You can do 15 if you wish, but only the top 10 will be used for scoring purposes), and the scoring is performed as follows:

Points For Your Pick
    Your pick positions are assigned a point value, called "Points for Your Pick" (PFYP).
    First Place Pick - 10pts
    Second Place Pick - 9pts
    Third Place Pick - 8pts
    Tenth Place Pick - 1pt

Position Points
    Once the Official USCHO Pre-Season Poll is announced, "Position Points" (PP) are calculated for each of your picks based upon the Official Poll Points (OPPts) the respective team received in the Official Poll. Each of your picks that appear in the Official Pre-Season Poll will receive Position Points according to the following:

(Points For Your Pick / 10) * Official Poll Points

And these will be added together to obtain a Position Points Total (PPT).

Accuracy Factor
    How well did you position your picks will also come into play, by determining an Accuracy Factory (AF). This is calculated for each of your picks by taking Your Pick Position (YPP) [1-10], and weighing it against the Official USCHO Pre-Season Poll Position (OPPos).

The value for OPPos is between 1 and the maximum number of positions in the poll. If a team in your picks fails to make the Official Poll (at any position), it is assigned a default OPPos of 33. The formula for calculating the Accuracy Factor for each of your picks is:

(1 / (1 + ABS(YPP - OPPos))) * 10

Your Total Score
    Your Total Score takes into account the Sum of your Accuracy Factors (AFT), and your Total Position Points (PPT) as follows:

(AFT / 100) * PPT

"It's just that simple".

A Few "Rules" (for lack of a better term):
    Ties, in either posted listings or the Official USCHO Polls, will be handled by assigning the respective positions based upon their as-listed positions in the post/Poll. The tied team listed on the "higher-side" of the post/Poll will have the higher ranking.

In the event of multiple posts (entries), the first chronological post will be used in scoring, and the subsequent post, well... ignored.

So start ranking the teams, post your "top-tens", and I'll crank-out the results once the Official USCHO Pre-Season Poll is announced (mid-season and end-of-season too). Good luck, and Happy Pickin'!

Cheers!!!
    Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 09-07-2011, 12:07 PM. Reason: 10 or 15, but must have 10
    Dave
    RIT - '90

Re: The Completely Unofficial Pre-Pre-Season Polls - 2011-2012 Edition

......actually this might be closer to what it'll look like at the end of the season.

SNC
    Norwich
    Adrian.........we'll be back
    Oswego
    Elmira
    Plattsburgh
    Castleton
    Wisc-Superior
    Manhattanville
    Geneseo

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
      ......actually this might be closer to what it'll look like at the end of the season.

SNC
      Norwich
      Adrian.........we'll be back
      Oswego
      Elmira
      Plattsburgh
      Castleton
      Wisc-Superior
      Manhattanville
      Geneseo
      Good group for sure.......Utica???...could be the sleeper

Comment

Not that it totally matters, but I went through and found out just the Seniors loss and Senior Points loss from the teams mentioned. We still have some transfers, incoming freshman that will contribute, but as you can see some teams will be taking a pretty big hit both point wise and spot wise. On the flip side, look at the ECAC West teams. Only losing 2%, 3%, and 11% of their teams points.

# TEAM RECORD SR. LOST KEY NAMES SR PTS OV PTS % PTS LOST KEY RETURNING PLAYERS NOTES
        1 St. Norbert 25-4-1 11 O'Brien, Tabisz, Pulak 103 277 37% Keefer, Ryd, Soley Top 4 Scorers Return
        2 Adrian 25-4-1 17 Skelly, Miller, Fogal 291 405 72% Graham, Watts Only 3 of Top 10 Return
        3 Norwich 22-6-3 2 Anderson, Eskedjian 60 339 18% Schroeder, Cotnoir Top 3 Scorers Return
        4 Oswego 23-5-0 7 Fox, Huinink, Mallaro 93 308 30% Boots, Whitelaw, Beckwith 5 of Top 6 Return
        5 Plattsburgh 20-8-1 5 Satim, Clarke Corry 107 296 36% Jensen, Craig, Leis Loss 15 Off Of 2011 Roster (41% of Points)
        6 Elmira 17-7-4 4 Linden, Schrank 29 271 11% Willer, Vaillancourt, McDonald Top 3 Scoreres will be Seniors
        7 Bowdoin 19-8-1 6 Shearer-Hardy, Fanning 109 311 35% Weiniger, Downey, Lalor Only 3 Regular Sr's
        8 Hamline 17-7-5 9 Berenguer, Kupperman 145 259 56% Arrigoni, VanGlider 5 of Top 7 Are gone
        9 Castleton 22-4-1 2 Stefan, Lafrance 49 340 14% Harris, Alonzo, Cinotti 1 Sr in top 20
        10 Neumann 14-9-5 2 Bianchini, Rodell 7 221 3% Rey, Lacasse, MacKinnon 1 Sr in top 20 (14)
        11 Wisconsin-Superior 16-13-1 4 Berlando, Isley 47 224 21% Faryna, Dalbec, Forsythe 4 of Top 5 Returning Will be SO
        12 Geneseo 16-8-2 6 Rygiel, Elliott 26 263 10% Vit, Redlick, Gershon Top 8 Return
        13 Williams 16-8-3 7 Contini, Masucci, Olvany 113 250 45% Rubino, Wickman, Purdy 3 of top 4 Are Gone
        14 Milwaukee School of 21-6-1 4 Soik, Humphries 32 286 11% Keizer, Krupa, Toomey 1 Sr In Top 10 (4)
        15 Utica 17-8-1 2 Timkey 5 261 2% Coffman, Chlanda, Smith Seniors Played In 27 games Combined
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Not that it totally matters, but I went through and found out just the Seniors loss and Senior Points loss from the teams mentioned. We still have some transfers, incoming freshman that will contribute, but as you can see some teams will be taking a pretty big hit both point wise and spot wise. On the flip side, look at the ECAC West teams. Only losing 2%, 3%, and 11% of their teams points.

# TEAM RECORD SR. LOST KEY NAMES SR PTS OV PTS % PTS LOST KEY RETURNING PLAYERS NOTES
          1 St. Norbert 25-4-1 11 O'Brien, Tabisz, Pulak 103 277 37% Keefer, Ryd, Soley Top 4 Scorers Return
          2 Adrian 25-4-1 17 Skelly, Miller, Fogal 291 405 72% Graham, Watts Only 3 of Top 10 Return
          3 Norwich 22-6-3 2 Anderson, Eskedjian 60 339 18% Schroeder, Cotnoir Top 3 Scorers Return
          4 Oswego 23-5-0 7 Fox, Huinink, Mallaro 93 308 30% Boots, Whitelaw, Beckwith 5 of Top 6 Return
          5 Plattsburgh 20-8-1 5 Satim, Clarke Corry 107 296 36% Jensen, Craig, Leis Loss 15 Off Of 2011 Roster (41% of Points)
          6 Elmira 17-7-4 4 Linden, Schrank 29 271 11% Willer, Vaillancourt, McDonald Top 3 Scoreres will be Seniors
          7 Bowdoin 19-8-1 6 Shearer-Hardy, Fanning 109 311 35% Weiniger, Downey, Lalor Only 3 Regular Sr's
          8 Hamline 17-7-5 9 Berenguer, Kupperman 145 259 56% Arrigoni, VanGlider 5 of Top 7 Are gone
          9 Castleton 22-4-1 2 Stefan, Lafrance 49 340 14% Harris, Alonzo, Cinotti 1 Sr in top 20
          10 Neumann 14-9-5 2 Bianchini, Rodell 7 221 3% Rey, Lacasse, MacKinnon 1 Sr in top 20 (14)
          11 Wisconsin-Superior 16-13-1 4 Berlando, Isley 47 224 21% Faryna, Dalbec, Forsythe 4 of Top 5 Returning Will be SO
          12 Geneseo 16-8-2 6 Rygiel, Elliott 26 263 10% Vit, Redlick, Gershon Top 8 Return
          13 Williams 16-8-3 7 Contini, Masucci, Olvany 113 250 45% Rubino, Wickman, Purdy 3 of top 4 Are Gone
          14 Milwaukee School of 21-6-1 4 Soik, Humphries 32 286 11% Keizer, Krupa, Toomey 1 Sr In Top 10 (4)
          15 Utica 17-8-1 2 Timkey 5 261 2% Coffman, Chlanda, Smith Seniors Played In 27 games Combined
          that was a reason why I put in the utica post %2...1 senior lost......a GREAT European vacation as well which couldnt hurt, as I said there skates will still be wet when they get bak to pink fluffy bunny practice..

Comment

I think there will be about 5 teams in the East that will really distance themselves from the rest of the region skill wise. Unfortunately they're going to beat each other up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernLite View Post
              This reminds me... there is no clear objective in-place that dictates how your poll is to be entered. You can either do “The Prez Method” and attempt to get into the heads of the Pollsters (::shivers at the thought:, or you can try to channel the wisdom of your elders and go for the prestigious “Nostradamus Award “ (as NorthernLite did, and a few others as well... including myself) and attempt to predict how the teams will stack-up at the end of the year. It all depends on when you want your fame (or shame) to occur. But only one entry per person, please (unless, of course, you have a split personality, errr... alias!).
              Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM.
              Dave
              RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                I think there will be about 5 teams in the East that will really distance themselves from the rest of the region skill wise. Unfortunately they're going to beat each other up this season.
                Hmm you wouldn't be talking about Elmira, Norwich, Utica, Oswego and Plattsburgh would you?
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Hmm you wouldn't be talking about Elmira, Norwich, Utica, Oswego and Plattsburgh would you?
                  Try again.

Comment

i would like to add Westfield State University to the poll. New team, new attitude and plenty of reason to be optimistic this year. Brilliant recruiting and new uniforms to boot.

GO Owles

Comment

Originally posted by jabathegut View Post
                      i would like to add Westfield State University to the poll. New team, new attitude and plenty of reason to be optimistic this year. Brilliant recruiting and new uniforms to boot.

GO Owles
                      Do you want to add Plymouth State too.......
                      Remy Babineaux
                      remyb616@gmail.com
                      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I'd look to see Castleton State as one of those five to distance themselves from the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
                          Try again.
                          Utica is going to be right there IMHO. Castleton or Manhattanville?
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by UNHHurstFan View Post
                            I'd look to see Castleton State as one of those five to distance themselves from the pack.
                            Ding ding ding we have a winner!

Prez, as long as Utica has Heenan behind the bench I have my reservations about them becoming an upper tier team. I think they'll be very good this year, but we've said that before and they haven't been able to make the jump.

And Manhattanville's fall from grace last year really puzzled me, so I'm not confident they're going to be all that great.

As an aside, I think Hobart will be an interesting case this year. How they'll replace Matt Wallace will be interesting. When he wasn't playing last year they really struggled.

Comment

I know nothing about Heenan's abilities ...but.... 16 sophmores back...including goalies...with any frosh impact players and a great schedule, 75% at home in front of 3000 plus ev game, how can they NOT be better ?
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                              X