Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Realignment and TV Markets

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Realignment and TV Markets

    These are television markets only, no print or radio rankings are included.

    The teams are listed as to current commitments to play beginning 2013 (NMU is listed in the WCHA because they have committed to the conference by that time.) As of this writing (07/25/2011) ND, WMU, UA-F, etc. have not made commitments to other conferences and are listed in their current conference. The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.

    (#) = market ranking
    NL = Not listed in the top 201 markets

    NCHC
    Colorado C. (91)
    Denver (18)
    Miami (NL [34 Cincinnati])
    Minnesota – Duluth (139)
    Nebraska – Omaha (76)
    North Dakota (NL)

    WCHA
    Alaska - Anchorage (150)
    Bemidji State (NL)
    Michigan Tech (NL)
    Minnesota State - Mankato (199)
    Northern Michigan (180)
    St. Cloud State (NL)

    CCHA
    Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
    Bowling Green (182/73 [Toledo])
    Ferris State (NL)
    Lake Superior State (NL)
    Notre Dame (89 [South Bend/Elkhart])
    Western Michigan (39 [Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek])

    AHA teams looking to move to the CCHA
    Canisius (51)
    Mercyhurst (146)
    Niagara (51)
    Robert Morris (23)

    Unaffiliated
    Alabama - Huntsville (82)


    Source: https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

  2. #2

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    These are television markets only, no print or radio rankings are included.

    The teams are listed as to current commitments to play beginning 2013 (NMU is listed in the WCHA because they have committed to the conference by that time.) As of this writing (07/25/2011) ND, WMU, UA-F, etc. have not made commitments to other conferences and are listed in their current conference. The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.

    (#) = market ranking
    NL = Not listed in the top 201 markets

    NCHC
    Colorado C. (91)
    Denver (18)
    Miami (NL [34 Cincinnati])
    Minnesota – Duluth (139)
    Nebraska – Omaha (76)
    North Dakota (NL)

    WCHA
    Alaska - Anchorage (150)
    Bemidji State (NL)
    Michigan Tech (NL)
    Minnesota State - Mankato (199)
    Northern Michigan (180)
    St. Cloud State (NL)

    CCHA
    Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
    Bowling Green (182/73 [Toledo])
    Ferris State (NL)
    Lake Superior State (NL)
    Notre Dame (89 [South Bend/Elkhart])
    Western Michigan (39 [Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek])

    AHA teams looking to move to the CCHA
    Canisius (51)
    Mercyhurst (146)
    Niagara (51)
    Robert Morris (23)

    Unaffiliated
    Alabama - Huntsville (82)


    Source: https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets
    North Dakota (Grand Forks) is considered part of the Fargo-Valley City market (#120).
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    94

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    These are television markets only, no print or radio rankings are included.

    The teams are listed as to current commitments to play beginning 2013 (NMU is listed in the WCHA because they have committed to the conference by that time.) As of this writing (07/25/2011) ND, WMU, UA-F, etc. have not made commitments to other conferences and are listed in their current conference. The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.

    (#) = market ranking
    NL = Not listed in the top 201 markets

    NCHC
    Colorado C. (91)
    Denver (18)
    Miami (NL [34 Cincinnati])
    Minnesota � Duluth (139)
    Nebraska � Omaha (76)
    North Dakota (NL)

    WCHA
    Alaska - Anchorage (150)
    Bemidji State (NL)
    Michigan Tech (NL)
    Minnesota State - Mankato (199)
    Northern Michigan (180)
    St. Cloud State (NL)

    CCHA
    Alaska - Fairbanks (202)
    Bowling Green (182/73 [Toledo])
    Ferris State (NL)
    Lake Superior State (NL)
    Notre Dame (89 [South Bend/Elkhart])
    Western Michigan (39 [Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek])

    AHA teams looking to move to the CCHA
    Canisius (51)
    Mercyhurst (146)
    Niagara (51)
    Robert Morris (23)

    Unaffiliated
    Alabama - Huntsville (82)


    Source: https://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets


    as per Nielsen DMA https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...MA%20Ranks.pdf
    And this Map https://www.truckads.com/licensed_affiliates1.asp#usamap

    Bemidji- Minneapolis/St. Paul - 15
    Cloud- Minneapolis/St.Paul-15
    Nodak- Fargo/Valleycity-120 (might as well include minot market as well-157)
    Lake state- traverse city/cadillac-119
    Ferris state- traverse city/cadillac-119
    Tech- marquette-179

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Western Bias.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by 7&7 View Post
    as per Nielsen DMA https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/c...MA%20Ranks.pdf
    And this Map https://www.truckads.com/licensed_affiliates1.asp#usamap

    Bemidji- Minneapolis/St. Paul - 15
    Cloud- Minneapolis/St.Paul-15
    Nodak- Fargo/Valleycity-120 (might as well include minot market as well-157)
    Lake state- traverse city/cadillac-119
    Ferris state- traverse city/cadillac-119
    Tech- marquette-179
    If Bemidji hosts NMU is the game televised in Minneapolis?

  6. #6
    ****** by the NC$$ ecbrevik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dickinson, ND
    Posts
    27,876

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    The B1G Hockey Conference was not included because it is comprised of the flagship universities which would have statewide coverage.
    If you are going to use this approach, to remain consistent North Dakota and Alaska (Fairbanks) are also considered their states' flagship universities and should be considered as having statewide coverage.
    University of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

  7. #7
    old enough to know better
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Posts
    224

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Maybe you should be looking to see if current (last year) TV agreements will hold up after the make-over. Fox North will still have N Dak and Minn if they are not on BTN. Fox Det will probably shadow Mich and MSU when they are not on BTN. But where does Comcast's hockey that was CCHA but almost always with Mich. or MSU and whom ever they are playing. I don't think the CCHA will be much of a draw in the biggest markets of MI and Ohio by showing Ferris or BGreen. I would hate to see it but college hockey on local TV may take a hit on this one.
    He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

  8. #8
    Falling on fans at NHC since 2001
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    If Bemidji hosts NMU is the game televised in Minneapolis?
    Actually, it probably is. tptMN carries some of the BSU games and it is available on comcast and I believe directv as well. I watched SCSU play Bemidji this year in Minneapolis.

    Also, comcast carried almost all of the SCSU home games in Minneapolis on one of their public access channels.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by ecbrevik View Post
    If you are going to use this approach, to remain consistent North Dakota and Alaska (Fairbanks) are also considered their states' flagship universities and should be considered as having statewide coverage.
    Fair enough.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by sqeyes View Post
    Maybe you should be looking to see if current (last year) TV agreements will hold up after the make-over. Fox North will still have N Dak and Minn if they are not on BTN. Fox Det will probably shadow Mich and MSU when they are not on BTN. But where does Comcast's hockey that was CCHA but almost always with Mich. or MSU and whom ever they are playing. I don't think the CCHA will be much of a draw in the biggest markets of MI and Ohio by showing Ferris or BGreen. I would hate to see it but college hockey on local TV may take a hit on this one.
    BTN has several overflow channels, more than enough to show all of the B1G games. I expect that FSD and Comcast won't have B1G games after the founding of the new conference. The CCHA may benefit from this, depending on how much FSD and Comcast want to broadcast college hockey. My guess is, the networks will find basketball games to broadcast instead of small college hockey.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    69

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    The Bowling Green on your link is for Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green, Ohio gets its commercial TV from Toledo.

  12. #12
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    29,035

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    BTN has several overflow channels, more than enough to show all of the B1G games. I expect that FSD and Comcast won't have B1G games after the founding of the new conference. The CCHA may benefit from this, depending on how much FSD and Comcast want to broadcast college hockey. My guess is, the networks will find basketball games to broadcast instead of small college hockey.
    BTN doesn't use the overflow channels outside of football.

    Q: Why does the BTN stream additional basketball games instead of showing them on the overflow channels as it does with football?

    A: Here’s what BTN spokesman Mike Vest had to say.

    “Overflow channels aren’t available during basketball season because of the capacity of our facility in Houston. There are a lot of other games that are fed out of Houston during prime time in the season, such as NBA, NFL and other college games, as well as ours.”
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  13. #13
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    47.4979N W.019.0402
    Posts
    6,975

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    here's a question to add to the fire here. Shouldn't a teams market be where most of the alumni live vs where the school is. I would bet most St lawrence alum do not live in rural NY state for instance. Wouldn't their strongest market come from the city of NY? Isn't that where most TV sets that would watch a St Lawrence game be?
    Last edited by manurespreader; 07-26-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    here's a question to add to the fire here. Shouldn't a teams market be where most of the alumni live vs where the school is. I would be most St lawrence alum do not live in rural NY state for instance. Wouldn't their strongest market come from the city of NY? Isn't that where most TV sets that would watch a St Lawrence game be?
    You'd want to cover in the area where the school is, but only a few games (as opposed to the whole season), so that you entice the townies to go to the arena and watch the games in person, thereby increasing revenue for the school in the form of ticket sales. Although you could make the same case for showing most of the games, so that people can go and get their second and a half to wave and look silly. Alumni showing ability is nice, but you also have to figure that with the advent of the internet, most of them are already tuning in via their school's means (B2, streaming radio, live "blogging" on the USCHO score threads ). Not to mention, there's no guarantee that a large group of alumni flock to a specific location.

    Given your location, I'll forgive your ignorance regarding the state of NY.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    12

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by mmb5 View Post
    The Bowling Green on your link is for Bowling Green, Kentucky. Bowling Green, Ohio gets its commercial TV from Toledo.
    Thank you. Where I'm situated, in Michigan, I assumed it was the local BG.

  16. #16
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    4,143

    Re: Realignment and TV Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by greenG View Post
    If Bemidji hosts NMU is the game televised in Minneapolis?
    Yes. Lakeland Public TV (PBS) broadcasts all BSU Home games. This also shows up on DirecTV as part of the Minneapolis market. Also, most of the PBS stations around the state of Minnesota pick up the feed and put it out over the air on one of their alternate digital channels through the tptMN feed. I know in the Alexandria area here, I was able to watch one of the Beaver Home games I didn't go to last year on DirectTV and three different over-the-air stations since we have three PBS stations that "intersect" in our area.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •