Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU and ??

Legend in everybodys mind

Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU and ??

https://newsminer.com/bookmark/147560...ound-continues

There are rumors, too, that the WCHA is scheduled to announce two more applicants this week and one of them is supposedly the Nanooks.
    Could this be Western Michigan, Alaska, Notre Dame or even hopeful upstart Minnesota State Moorhead?

Any ideas?
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!
    Blogs.
    https://twitter.com/CHeisenberg
    https://www.gopherpucklive.com/
    My website

R!!!!...I!!!!!...T!!!!!!

Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post

Could this be Western Michigan, Alaska, Notre Dame or even hopeful upstart Minnesota State Moorhead?

Any ideas?
    Not Notre Dame.
    I'd bet on Alaska and either MSU-Moorhead or LSSU
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Re: Faribanks Daily: Rumors of the WCHA announcing two applicants this week? NMU an

Quote Originally Posted by 4four4 View Post

Any ideas?
    It won't be Notre Dame. They are either going to Hockey East or the NCHC. Minnesota Moorhead would like to have a decision in about 3 months, but it's likely that the WCHA will hold a spot for them for that time period.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Drunkard

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    Not Notre Dame.
    I'd bet on Alaska and either MSU-Moorhead or LSSU
    This. I sincerely doubt that Notre Dame or WMU would be involved.

Unless MSU-Mo found $17 million in the last week, I'd guess that LSSU might be the last one.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Danny Martin isn't one to write something like that without something to go on, so I'm assuming he knows something. Since this is the local Fairbanks rag I'm going out on a real long limb here and saying that it will be the Nanooks and either Moorhead or Lake State. I don't think WMU will make a move until Notre Dame announces their intentions.

I will say Alaska or Lake Superior State
    Last edited by Driftryder; 07-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavalryNate View Post
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.

have heard the Fairbanks rumors too.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Bringing in LSSU doesn't really do much for the WCHA. Why would they want them?

I guess it does give everyone a team to beat up on.
    PSNetwork / 360 GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post

It adds 3 more national championships and shortest drive of the remaining CCHA teams to everyone but Mankato.

It will be interesting to see what the WCHA does next.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    It adds 3 more national championships and shortest drive of the remaining CCHA teams to everyone but Mankato.

It will be interesting to see what the WCHA does next.
    They don't bring money, fans or prestige to the league. Those titles are a long forgotten version of LSSU.

It makes sense to want to go to 8, and I guess if all things are equal in other areas, relatively close proximity is a selling point.
    PSNetwork / 360 GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

LSSU is not a great fit geographically, but the program has some good history. I would like to see them rise again to their Mid 80's to Mid 90's form. If coming to the WCHA ensures their program's survival, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebacks View Post
    LSSU is not a great fit geographically, but the program has some good history. I would like to see them rise again to their Mid 80's to Mid 90's form. If coming to the WCHA ensures their program's survival, I'm all for it.
    LSSU is kind of in geographical purgatory with this realignment. If the CCHA pulls in four AHA teams, they probably would fit in even worse than they might with a renewed WCHA. At least the WCHA keeps them with the other UP schools.

Shine on You Crazy Diamond

They don't bring money, fans or prestige to the league.
    Well Notre Dame is a pipe dream, so what other remaining teams do bring in money, fans and prestige to the league?

LSSU IMO would be a good fit with Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.

Still upright

They don't bring money, fans or prestige to the league. Those titles are a long forgotten version of LSSU.

It makes sense to want to go to 8, and I guess if all things are equal in other areas, relatively close proximity is a selling point.
    I would expect that in order to join the WCHA they will have to come up with some cash and some sort of guarantee of stability. Something that some of the existing WCHA schools could use more of as well.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

If I was Forrest Karr and the UAF administration, and this UAF-to-WCHA stuff actually happens, I'd be getting together with Fairbanks city and borough officials to put some enticement on Delta to keep their nonstop MSP-Fairbanks flight through the winter. It would make travel a hell of a lot easier on everybody.

Last I had heard, the LSSU AD said they were not calling the WCHA. Have things changed in the Soo?

You have Tech for that. They provide enough wins for all teams.

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    If I was Forrest Karr and the UAF administration, and this UAF-to-WCHA stuff actually happens, I'd be getting together with Fairbanks city and borough officials to put some enticement on Delta to keep their nonstop MSP-Fairbanks flight through the winter. It would make travel a hell of a lot easier on everybody.
    You could certainly get them to consider doing it weekly during hockey season.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Yes but don't count on it. Delta is going to continue to contract as are most of the majors, due to fuel costs.They might even pull the SLC-ANC and only have Seattle.
    In addition I'd guess that United is thinking of dropping Houghton as the essential air service money is drying up. Delta announced this week dropping 23 cities including Bimidji, Sault Ste Marie, Iron Mtn, and Escanaba. The other carriers are right behind them.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    Yes but don't count on it. Delta is going to continue to contract as are most of the majors, due to fuel costs.They might even pull the SLC-ANC and only have Seattle.
    In addition I'd guess that United is thinking of dropping Houghton as the essential air service money is drying up. Delta announced this week dropping 23 cities including Bimidji, Sault Ste Marie, Iron Mtn, and Escanaba. The other carriers are right behind them.
    Except Houghton wasn't always EAS, the county pulled that card in an attempt to bring more service.

Thread Information