Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons to call press conference at 1pm Friday July 15th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons to call press conference at 1pm Friday July 15th

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
    I'm confused. I keep reading in other threads that the NCAA no longer allows "playing up" in one sport. So, can Moorhead "play up" in hockey, or can't they?
    I thought that too. If they bring a women's team does that count as two?
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Re: Minnesota State Moorhead Dragons to call press conference at 1pm Friday July 15th

If these guys don't get a slick jersey together I will be very disappointed
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
        I thought that too. If they bring a women's team does that count as two?
        You get one men's sport and one women's sport. But, as was explained below, if your division doesn't offer the sport you get a pass.

Comment

Nice. A city that is more worthless than Grand Forks

At least it is in Minnesota. No levees there...
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

If the moratorium on expansion is over, there MAY be a small window, though I doubt it. Proposition 2010-100 stopped new playups effective 8/1/11.

I don't think they can do it unless there will be a mens D-I/II National Collegiate Championship effective in 2013 or 2014
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

This could make for a very clean conference, with logical designated rivals that actually make a little bit of sense:

UAA-UA
              BSU-MSUM(2)
              SCSU-MSUM(1)
              MTU-NMU

Though, I'm not really looking forward to road trips to Fargo.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                You get one men's sport and one women's sport. But, as was explained below, if your division doesn't offer the sport you get a pass.
                Yeah, except in men's hockey there's D-I hockey, D-II hockey (with no NCAA championship) and D-III hockey... while women's is set up as National Collegiate hockey and D-III hockey. So a new men's team at a D-II school would need to "play up", and if there's a moratorium a D-II school would be classified as such and be the 7th D-II team along with the Northeast-10(6), praying for a half-dozen more teams so they can stage a 2 team championship series again. A new women's team from a D-II school would be free to join an established "NC" conference like the WCHA and go on it's merry way AND the school would still be able to "play up" in another women's sport if the moratorium is lifted.

Yes, it is a total mess.
                BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

So speculation is that MSU-Moorhead will be adding hockey ... hmmm ...

I thought TerryPagulaBigTenJimDelanyBigTenNetworkPennStateMi nnesotaWisconsinDenverNorthDakotaMiamiSuperConfere nceNCHC was going to kill-kill-kill college hockey.

Doug Peters at Moorhead must have missed the memo.

Trivia for the day: I believe MSU-Moorhead's president previously worked at UMaine.

I think they have "cool jersey" potential with their logo: http://msumdragons.com/
                  Last edited by The Sicatoka; 07-15-2011, 08:50 AM.
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                    Nice. A city that is more worthless than Grand Forks
                    Please. The Fargo-Moorhead area is quite a bit bigger than GF-EGF. It still sucks, but that area probably has 140k-150k people living there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      I think they have "cool jersey" potential with their logo: http://msumdragons.com/
                      AIC is gonna be ****ed

Comment

To throw sand on the gears.....

This is from the 8/9/07 NCAA News of the Day...
                        August 09, 2007

The Division I Board of Directors has enacted a four-year moratorium on permitting institutions to begin the process of joining the division – an action that among other things will prevent a school from moving from another division into Division I or moving between its subdivisions until August 2011.
                        Then, recently, the NCAA passed the following, effective 8/1/11
                        20.4.1 Multidivision Classification Options. A member institution may have a sport classified in a division other than the one in which it is a member only in the following circumstances: (See Constitution 3.1.1.)

20.4.1.1 Division I Member. A member of Division I may petition to be classified in football in the Bowl Subdivision or the NCAA Championship Subdivision. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year.
                        Passed 3/16/11 effective 8/1/11 applicable to institutions that begin the process during the 2011-12 academic year or thereafter.

Rhett -- there are 10 hockey playing schools in the NE-10. 4 are playing up in either HEA or AHA and 6 are playing "down" in the ECAC-E or the NE-10.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Interesting development

Comment

What if they get a waiver?
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                              What if they get a waiver?
                              There are no waivers. D-I is locked.

Some D-II conference has to get moving to sponsor an NCC for men's ice hockey.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                To throw sand on the gears.....
                                But there's also this...

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted. An active member
                                institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those
                                sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention
                                to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years. (Revised:
                                1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                                20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship. To be eligible for the Division I championship in
                                such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual
                                eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw
                                20.9.1.1. (Revised: 1/10/91 effective 9/1/92)
                                20.8.2.2 Exception for Maximum Number of Contests or Dates of Competition. A Division II member
                                institution that is eligible for a championship in another division because there is no championship in that
                                sport in its membership division shall apply the maximum number of contests or dates of competition in the
                                sport involved that applies to the division in which it declares its intention to compete.
                                ...so it seems that a school may maintain Division II membership and declare its intention to compete for the Division I championship in hockey.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

Working...
                                X