Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
    None of that sounds like things you can eat??
    I don't like most of the things you can eat that grow well in shade. The farmers do a much better job than I do, so I buy theirs.

I wish I had lots of sunny spots to grow berries. We had a little raspberry patch when I was growing up - my favorite fresh fruit. Store raspberries do not even come close. I have some strawberries, but they don't do very well. I have one blueberry plant in a container, but it's too young to produce anything yet (it's the kind that self-pollinates). My yard has some huge trees, so it's mostly shade (which is nice when mowing the lawn, cooling the house, etc.) Maybe my next house.

I read somewhere that mini roses can be grown in containers - anyone have experience with this? How big of a container do I need to have? Is there a certain type (terra cotta, ceramic, etc) that works better? Because those ceramic pots are **** expensive.
    Last edited by jen; 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
      I Hostas - blue mouse ears, ....
      We have hostas surrounding our deck, each one a different variety. Two of them (on each side of the stairsteps) are Mouse Ears, the cutest little hostas ever.
      Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
        We have hostas surrounding our deck, each one a different variety. Two of them (on each side of the stairsteps) are Mouse Ears, the cutest little hostas ever.
        Frankly, I didn't think a plant could be adorable, but mouse ears are. Especially the blue ones. Hadn't heard of them until this year. I had no idea there were so many different types of mouse ears.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
          I feel like there's a lot of purple and blue - there's already daffodils there, so yellow is covered. Plenty of green with the hostas. I feel like it isn't balanced with color, though.
          Maybe you can supplement with some annuals? garden centers often have some inexpensive ones you can transplant. Gardenias or carnations can give you red and white, for example.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Are orchids year round blooms or should they die and come back?

The wife is concerned about one she's been caring for and I of course know nothing.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

(*&)(*&+)*^#$* ^%)!1!!!1!!!!

GD groundhog climbed up on my deck and ate all the Petunias to stubs. I have 100 Tomatoes started in SOlo cups that I cannot leave on the deck because they might get eaten.

NOT a happy camper. Now trying to devise a way to protect them until the weekend when I get rid of most of them at the Church Garden thingy.

We have at least 2 very sleek groundhogs that are very fit and fast when we go out the door. They must have some redemptive purpose in the world but I do not know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

GD groundhog climbed up on my deck and ate all the Petunias to stubs. I have 100 Tomatoes started in SOlo cups that I cannot leave on the deck because they might get eaten.

NOT a happy camper. Now trying to devise a way to protect them until the weekend when I get rid of most of them at the Church Garden thingy.

We have at least 2 very sleek groundhogs that are very fit and fast when we go out the door. They must have some redemptive purpose in the world but I do not know what it is.

We had a similar problem with rabbits in our strawberry patch, and a roll of chicken wire worked wonders.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

they are cute? they have their own day? their own movie?

envious how far ahead you all are. we are look at a week of sunny but very cool weather. still waiting for the soil to warm. maybe I'll weed and turn the soil.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    We had a similar problem with rabbits in our strawberry patch, and a roll of chicken wire worked wonders.
                    I ended up putting them in the enclosed veggie garden tented with Black netting. My problem now is trying to figure out what to put in the deck pots that it won't eat but will attract hummingbirds.

Comment

any ideas how I can get bulbs planted - squirrels chipmunks rabbits mice something - dig them up as soon as I plant them. and if I ever do get the bulbs established, will they still get eaten? am I fighting a losing battle?
                      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        any ideas how I can get bulbs planted - squirrels chipmunks rabbits mice something - dig them up as soon as I plant them. and if I ever do get the bulbs established, will they still get eaten? am I fighting a losing battle?
                        You can plant them in little cages of chicken wire. Also saw something about not using bone meal as critters like it. Have heard things like Cayenne dusted over them. I have been successful planning to come up through Lavender which nothing seems to want to eat (crosses fingers!!)

Comment

You can plant them in little cages of chicken wire. Also saw something about not using bone meal as critters like it. Have heard things like Cayenne dusted over them. I have been successful planning to come up through Lavender which nothing seems to want to eat (crosses fingers!!)
                          thanks les. considering my luck so far, I'll try several of these. never hurts!
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Anybody here live in the Madison area and want some rhubarb? I have so much I don't know what to do with it.
                            Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                              Anybody here live in the Madison area and want some rhubarb? I have so much I don't know what to do with it.
                              Clean it, wash it, cut into small chunks and freeze it. My wife just made a strawberry rhubarb pie from last year's rhubarb and strawberries from the freezer (she wanted to get rid of them as the rhubarb is getting big in our yard).

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                                Clean it, wash it, cut into small chunks and freeze it. My wife just made a strawberry rhubarb pie from last year's rhubarb and strawberries from the freezer (she wanted to get rid of them as the rhubarb is getting big in our yard).
                                I've been doing that already. Got more then I'll ever use.
                                Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Working...
                                X