Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    cannot wait to get home and get dirty. (no not THAT Dirty) my third year with a vegetable garden. each year it gets a little bit larger. I didn't think I could grow anything because we live in the woods and I thought the wildlife would eat it. so far, so good. maybe because its close to the house and driveway?
    HA! that doesn't work for me at all The critters eat everything nt behind a fence

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      yup.we went through bags of [gypsum] but it did amazing things. Don't see much about it in the magazines but old books always recommend it.
      any idea whether old wallboard with the paper backing removed and then crushed up would work the same way?

I get tired of dragging it to the transfer station every time we remodel....
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        yup.we went through bags of it but it did amazing things. Don't see much about it in the magazines but old books always recommend it.
        I use it regularly in my garden.
        Originally posted by Priceless
        Good to see you're so reasonable.
        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
        Very well, said.
        Originally posted by Rover
        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I did some research and I'm finding most extension websites are very much against Gypsum unless you have your soil analyzed. Additionally they say it is only effective if you have clay and a specific subset of conditions.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I did some research and I'm finding most extension websites are very much against Gypsum unless you have your soil analyzed. Additionally they say it is only effective if you have clay and a specific subset of conditions.
            Extension websites would be against throwing anything into soil without having it tested first.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Not really. They freely advocate various pest control, weed control, and lawn amendments. Almost all of them were pretty clear when they said don't use gypsum because it has limited benefit. Rather, addition of organic mulch over many years is the best bet. Or till it up and replace the top x".
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Not really. They freely advocate various pest control, weed control, and lawn amendments. Almost all of them were pretty clear when they said don't use gypsum because it has limited benefit. Rather, addition of organic mulch over many years is the best bet. Or till it up and replace the top x".
                I was talking about garden soil, I doubt they would say to add anything to garden soils without a soil test. The stuff I read says the same thing you read. Add organic matter, Gypsum will do little for a home garden. I've never heard of adding Gypsum, must be a regional thing
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  I was talking about garden soil, I doubt they would say to add anything to garden soils without a soil test. The stuff I read says the same thing you read. Add organic matter, Gypsum will do little for a home garden. I've never heard of adding Gypsum, must be a regional thing
                  We had clay that you could make bricks out of . added a ton of gypsum as well as peat, compost, and some other stuff I can't remember after researching in the library. This was awhile ago. maybe 15-20 yrs ago. It worked pretty well.

Comment

Yeah two years ago I was trying to patch some thin spots and couldn't even get the rake into the ground. Brutal.
                    Code:

Comment

Anybody know what the gypsum actually does, or if there are any bad effects?

I have heavy clay if I go down more than a few inches, which I'm gradually working on when I put in plants by digging holes much deeper than I need to and adding organic stuff, but that's a really slow process.

A side benefit would be that dry wall is a pain to get rid of. My transfer station won't take it (oddly enough, won't take non-PT wood either).

Comment

• It's ion exchange. Replacing sodium (?) with calcium.
                        Code:

Comment

We had some topsoil delivered five or six years ago to fill in a trench left by the previous owner. Since then, I've been burying leaves in it each fall and it has turned into some really nice garden soil.

We planted our tomatoes outside yesterday. We fervently hope that we have found a solution to the blight that's been infecting the crop the past several years.

We also harvested the first lettuce on Saturday. Leaf lettuce not head lettuce. Just go down the row with a scissors and nip off a leaf or two from each plant. Tasty mix of three different kinds.

The strawberries are all in flower. Should be harvesting in mid-June if not a little sooner.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

My experiment with tomato plants in pots hasn't gone very well. The pots are pretty large, but the tomato plants just haven't gotten very big or produced many tomatoes. We had a tomato plant just pop up in our raised garden a month or two ago and it's now bigger and producing more tomatoes than the ones in the pots that have been around since last fall.
                            Originally posted by Priceless
                            Good to see you're so reasonable.
                            Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                            Very well, said.
                            Originally posted by Rover
                            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

I have my new garden beds all ready to go. Hauled a lot of garden soil yesterday. The 29th can't come soon enough... because I keep changing my mind about what to plant. I discovered a spot I thought was all shade is just part shade, so that opens things up a little. Here's what I have decided so far -

Hostas - blue mouse ears, holy mouse, brim cup, high society, white centered, dream queen
                              columbine - black currant ice, crimson star, winky red and white, ministar
                              white clips bellflower
                              frosted violet coral bells
                              silver gem violets
                              hellebore - cotton candy, winter jewel amethyst gem
                              purple dragon spotted dead nettle
                              grand marshall bee balm
                              lemon drop sun drops
                              blue and pink balloon flowers
                              red sea thrift
                              Mrs. Moon lungwort

I feel like there's a lot of purple and blue - there's already daffodils there, so yellow is covered. Plenty of green with the hostas. I feel like it isn't balanced with color, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                                I have my new garden beds all ready to go. Hauled a lot of garden soil yesterday. The 29th can't come soon enough... because I keep changing my mind about what to plant. I discovered a spot I thought was all shade is just part shade, so that opens things up a little. Here's what I have decided so far -

Hostas - blue mouse ears, holy mouse, brim cup, high society, white centered, dream queen
                                columbine - black currant ice, crimson star, winky red and white, ministar
                                white clips bellflower
                                frosted violet coral bells
                                silver gem violets
                                hellebore - cotton candy, winter jewel amethyst gem
                                purple dragon spotted dead nettle
                                grand marshall bee balm
                                lemon drop sun drops
                                blue and pink balloon flowers
                                red sea thrift
                                Mrs. Moon lungwort

I feel like there's a lot of purple and blue - there's already daffodils there, so yellow is covered. Plenty of green with the hostas. I feel like it isn't balanced with color, though.
                                None of that sounds like things you can eat??

Comment

Working...
                                X