This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Arugula is starting to come up and the tomato plants are starting to show some growth. And the herbs seem to be doing ok, even the mint, which seemed in bad shape last week. In the coming weeks we'll plant lettuce, kale, some more asparagus, and probably one or two other things. Oh, and we planted some garlic, which was from our garden last year.
    Originally posted by Priceless
    Good to see you're so reasonable.
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
    Very well, said.
    Originally posted by Rover
    A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      We harvested two canteloupes today. What a pleasant surprise!
      They were ripe and juicy, but unfortunately, almost entirely lacking in taste. Oh well.
      "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Harvested about 6 pounds of tomatillos today and made a huge batch of salsa verde. I'll season half with some of my jalapenos and the other half with some of my habaneros (didn't get many, but shouldn't need many).

Comment

Still getting green beans

Tomatoes- which were not producing to begin with now all have blight and are unlikely to produce at all.

Cukes failed miserable. SSq and Zukes failed too. Most abysmal garden year yet. except the beans which are acting like they are on steroids. I have enough beans to feed an army.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Still getting green beans
            This is the only difference between your garden and mine. I didn't get any beans either.
            "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

• Originally posted by Carter View Post
              This is the only difference between your garden and mine. I didn't get any beans either.
              I got beans from first planting, second plant got eaten by deer about a week before picking time. I send my dog after the deer every time I see them in my field now, ********
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I got beans from first planting, second plant got eaten by deer about a week before picking time. I send my dog after the deer every time I see them in my field now, ********
                Bet the dog is loving you

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Can I borrow your dog to keep the ****king squirrels off my tomatoes?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Bet the dog is loving you
                    He is just a goofy Golden but he likes to chase them off, they got all my chard also. I have the garden fenced on 3 sides but never put the electric up on the 4th side and they walked right in. There are 20 or so apple trees around but my beans were better I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                      Can I borrow your dog to keep the ****king squirrels off my tomatoes?
                      My old neighbor figured out how to keep squirrels out of the garden. He knew they were watching his sweet corn for perfect ripeness, and they got the first few ears. Then his smoke detector started beeping for a new battery, and purely on a whim, he pulled it down and put it in the garden. The squirrels never bothered the rest of the crop while the detector was beeping. They just sat on the power pole and cursed as only squirrels can do.
                      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

The garden is in full swing, with lettuce, spinach, and arugula ready to harvest. It's about time to begin the second planting. And a few new asparagus plants are popping up. We finally figured out what our other citrus tree is, as it hadn't had any fruit the previous year but now does. It's a key lime. We also planted a bunch of garlic, and it'll be late spring before that's harvested, but they've shot up nicely already.
                        Very well, said.
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Helllllp!!!!1!!1!!!1!!

I have some geraniums that I absolutely love. (Martha Washington types and also a peppermint geranium) Trying to overwinter them. THe only place I have to put them is in a cool room that gets sun only a few hours a day and I have one in the bathroom- same lighting scenario.

The ones in the room are both in 12 inch hanging pots. They are starting to get very leggy. Do I cut them back? do I root cuttings in smaller pots and toss the big plants? They are both blooming, even tho they haven't been 'fed' in months and only watered sparingly.

Hope someone has done this and can help me save them.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Helllllp!!!!1!!1!!!1!!

I have some geraniums that I absolutely love. (Martha Washington types and also a peppermint geranium) Trying to overwinter them. THe only place I have to put them is in a cool room that gets sun only a few hours a day and I have one in the bathroom- same lighting scenario.

The ones in the room are both in 12 inch hanging pots. They are starting to get very leggy. Do I cut them back? do I root cuttings in smaller pots and toss the big plants? They are both blooming, even tho they haven't been 'fed' in months and only watered sparingly.

Hope someone has done this and can help me save them.
                            I cut them back

Comment

Thanks wally!

Comment

Still getting a lot of greens and we put in some new lettuce and kale plants, and planted some more arugala, so we should be good on greens for awhile. Tomato plants in the pots have a few tomatoes on them, but haven't grown a whole lot. Not sure why. Our herbs are doing well, with oregano, basil and others providing some fresh herbs to add to meals. We're contemplating putting in a fig and/or pecan tree, probably in January. And the wife is very happy to start getting some lemons off our lemon tree for the first time. Tangerine tree is overloaded and we've been picking some to try to avoid any branches breaking.
                                Very well, said.
                                A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Working...
                                X