This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Okay, so this one is perhaps more of a home repair question, but I'll post it here first to see what you guys think.

I had one of those winterizing valve things on my hose bib, and the set screw sheared off when I tried to take it off last weekend. As a result, the only way to take it off the bib was with a wrench, and the screw wound up stripping off some of the male thread on the bib.

Now, because of the stripped thread, my hose can't make a solid seal and the water leaks between the bib and the hose when I turn the water on. It's a soldered bib (I'm sure), which means I don't have an easy way to fix it without completely repairing the bib. Any suggestions?
    Thread tape is made for tapered thread, hose bib is not tapered but running. It seals with a washer in the female part. I assume you took the threads off the male end so the female end on a hose will never tighten?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Thread tape is made for tapered thread, hose bib is not tapered but running. It seals with a washer in the female part. I assume you took the threads off the male end so the female end on a hose will never tighten?
      The female end will go on, but when I open the faucet, water sprays out the top of the female end of the hose.

Short of magically re-forming the thread or otherwise finding another way to seal up the joint with the female end of the hose, I don't see too many options that don't involve me replacing the bib.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

got up to 50 today, the top of the kids' swing set is now visible above the snow. It's going to be a long April in Keweenaw County.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          The female end will go on, but when I open the faucet, water sprays out the top of the female end of the hose.

Short of magically re-forming the thread or otherwise finding another way to seal up the joint with the female end of the hose, I don't see too many options that don't involve me replacing the bib.
          So it will screw on but will it tighten? If it gets tight is their a washer in the hose? Is the face of the bib deformed to the point the washer won't seal on it.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

effing snow. fingers crossed for the flowers that have started to come up already.

Comment

This is shaping up to be a real quagmire of a spring here in So. WI. Weather forecast today says the next chance of sunshine is a week from now - Saturday. Tough to get into the garden when it's all 6 inches of mud.
              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                This is shaping up to be a real quagmire of a spring here in So. WI. Weather forecast today says the next chance of sunshine is a week from now - Saturday. Tough to get into the garden when it's all 6 inches of mud.
                Can relate. Supposed to have cool coudy weather until next week. Still soggy. Need to rebuild the raised beds- not happening yet.

Comment

Our tomatoes are starting to peter out, as we've been getting some days in the 90s. Getting a few strawberries from a hanging basket I had about given up on, so that's fun. Still have some lettuce, carrots, and beets going in the garden and hopefully some potatoes. Most other stuff is done. Oh, and asparagus plants are looking good, at least the five that survived the winter and a little boy's desire to help pull weeds or things that look like weeds.
                  Originally posted by Priceless
                  Good to see you're so reasonable.
                  Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                  Very well, said.
                  Originally posted by Rover
                  A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Subscribed because why the hell not? It's been an absolutely brutal winter and I'm hoping winter ends soon. I'll need all the help I can get this year desperately trying to revive my yard.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Glad I got the garden tilled last Sunday as it's rained every day since.

The good part is that the loose soil has settled nicely.

Comment

Well, my Easter lilies (or whatever the hell they are) are finally blooming. Pretty much the only plants I want to save from my front yard garden that I've neglected over the last year or so. I should probably just dig the whole thing up and start over. Is there a good way to get rid of grass that has intruded into my garden without killing everything? I mean, obviously I could pull it all, but it's really bad and I'd like to avoid having to pull it all up if possible.

The other thing I want to do is relocate the clematis plants I have to somewhere I can appreciate them more.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I planted bluebells last year, and they pretty much completely disappeared in June. I thought they were perma-dead. Not even leaves left, and they never really bloomed. I was quite astonished and pleased to see all 3 plants coming up this year, and looking pretty healthy to boot. AND I also thought I had to grow them as annuals in my zone, so it's a double bonus.

The rest of my flowers are looking pretty good. I planted primrose last year, then got frost, and they didn't bloom very much, but they're looking pretty nice this year.

Comment

LOts of winterkill this yr

PLanted the tomato seeds last week. (very late for me). Trying to get the lettuce in outside today.

I need at least 2 of me to do everything I want to!

Comment

Just curious to see what other gardener's on the board are using for fertilizers. I have been using Sea-Plus Liquid Seaweed/Fish Fertilizer, amongst others, and am toying with the idea of adding BioAg's Ful-Power to the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlS View Post
                                Just curious to see what other gardener's on the board are using for fertilizers. I have been using Sea-Plus Liquid Seaweed/Fish Fertilizer, amongst others, and am toying with the idea of adding BioAg's Ful-Power to the mix.
                                Compost (homemade), Fish emulsion, cock-a-doodle-doo (chicken manure), cocoa mulch (high in nitrogen), and mix of blood meal and bone meal.

Comment

Working...
                                X