Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Garden Geeks thread

Originally posted by Carter View Post
    Reminds me of my good old neighbor/mentor who loves to laugh about how much agent orange he sprayed over us back in the day. No point in telling him that it now looks like a trigger for diabetes, which I have. First, he'd say it was BS anyway, and secondly, nobody knew back then. Just as legal as your dad's DDT. Which, come to think of it, my old neighbor/mentor also loved to use, saying they never had as many pheasants as they did back when they were using DDT.
    There are some folks who are saying the world was a better place with DDT, Bed Bugs, Malaria in africa etc were almost wiped out then they took it away. My dad stop using DDT when he read Silent Spring, now there are folks saying Carson was full of it. Who knows but I just as soon be as organic as I can be but those freakin beetles are p issing me off
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I've been getting a decent amount of peas and bush beans from the garden for the past couple weeks. Pleasantly surprised as this is my first garden and I didn't add any compost or fertilizer. Everything else seems to be growing well, except the cucumbers, which have only produced very small plants, but are starting to flower.
      Embrace the hate.

Comment

Originally posted by nmu_27 View Post
        I've been getting a decent amount of peas and bush beans from the garden for the past couple weeks. Pleasantly surprised as this is my first garden and I didn't add any compost or fertilizer. Everything else seems to be growing well, except the cucumbers, which have only produced very small plants, but are starting to flower.
        Virgin earth. Always a beautiful thing.

Comment

Beans and peas are doing very well. I am picking off of them about every other day. I have had one squash and one cucumber so far but there are small one's that will be ready in a few days. Nothing off the zucchini plants yet. The cherry tomato plant is small but bearing a lot of tomatoes. The regular tomato plant is large but has yet to bear any tomatoes.
          My Four Favorite teams:
          RIT and anyone who is beating Canisius
          Cornell and anyone who is beating Harvard

If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

I am not afraid of terrorism, and I want the Government to stop being afraid on my behalf. I understand that it will not be possible to stop all terrorist acts. I am not afraid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            got home to find a big groundhog in the middle of my garden. It chewed the bottom of my oriental lilies and over they went. I got home too late to stop the carnage. I need a shotgun now!
            fyp.
            Originally posted by mookie1995
            bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
            Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
            Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
              fyp.
              My thoughts exactly, and I've whacked quite a few of em.
              "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

My garden's asparagus is in it's 2nd year, so I'm not eating it yet. Should I still be cutting it down?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  My garden's asparagus is in it's 2nd year, so I'm not eating it yet. Should I still be cutting it down?
                  no

Comment

How did all the east coast'ers gardens do through Hurricane Irene (the beetch).
                    I had 2 cherry tomato plants uproot, 2 pepper plants snapped in half, and the eggplants have survived, albeit pulled away from there stakes and lying on the ground. Other than that, the garden survived.

Also, I had propagated and planted 22 hydrangeas recently, in an area where the messy Ash trees drop large limbs like rain. There were some huge branches lying on the ground and not one infant hydrangea was damaged.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

The chipmunks and voles are decimating the garden despite bait and capsacin which appears to be like salad dressing. Lots of wind and rain without any kind of damage to the veggies. Lots of tall stuff needed to be staked back up tho.

Comment

We've had a ton of water in August so my garden looks pretty good, usually my taters are dead and squash is barely hanging in there, both are green and growing. My tomatoes went down some, my fault for not tying them and they're freighted with green fruit. Lucked out on Irene, peaches are still on the trees, as are pears and apples

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          We've had a ton of water in August so my garden looks pretty good, usually my taters are dead and squash is barely hanging in there, both are green and growing. My tomatoes went down some, my fault for not tying them and they're freighted with green fruit. Lucked out on Irene, peaches are still on the trees, as are pears and apples
                          Squash bugs got the squash. Beans are producing like no tomorrow. Tomatoes got the blight a bit but worse- the chipmunks are decimating anything that is more than pink.

Comment

Last of the tomatoes in the pot stewing for sauce, put it through the food mill later. Last of the beans frozen, need to dig the taters but its raining.
                            Squash is still blossoming, wish we had a little longer growing season this year but those blossoms are going to bear nothing. maybe I should eat the blossoms? Planted winter rye a few week ago, its already 3 inches tall. Need to get some lime on the garden this fall. Also need to order some garlic and get it planted

Comment

Tomatoes got blight. This was after the chipmunks ate the good stuff. The squash got squash bugs when we were away. The cukes are producing anemically. Beans are ending their run. Arugula seeded itself and is up and coming again. The garden has been in the same spot too long. Not big enough to really rotate things well. Getting very discouraged with the blight. I even fertilized when I was supposed to with special stuff organic and for tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                                Tomatoes got blight. This was after the chipmunks ate the good stuff. The squash got squash bugs when we were away. The cukes are producing anemically. Beans are ending their run. Arugula seeded itself and is up and coming again. The garden has been in the same spot too long. Not big enough to really rotate things well. Getting very discouraged with the blight. I even fertilized when I was supposed to with special stuff organic and for tomatoes.
                                Our tomatoes have been getting blight for years and years. So severe that by the time we're getting ripe fruit, there's barely a leaf left on the plants. The commercial grower down the road says it comes in on the air, and that weekly spraying is the only way to prevent it. So this year, for the first time (and not nearly as regularly as we should) we sprayed them to prevent blight. And unbelievably, we had virtually none. It worked so much better than I thought it would. It will be standard practive in the future, I'll tell you that.
                                "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Working...
                                X