Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...out%206-15.pdf
    THis is a nice little thing about what gets eaten vs browsed or left alone by deer.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...out%206-15.pdf
      THis is a nice little thing about what gets eaten vs browsed or left alone by deer.
      I can tell you they browsed on my 6 month old pear trees
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        I can tell you they browsed on my 6 month old pear trees
        I have a garden out front I call the resurrection garden. They eat it to a stub, leave it until it leafs out again and start over.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          I have a garden out front I call the resurrection garden. They eat it to a stub, leave it until it leafs out again and start over.
          Have you ever seen he video of what happened when the National Park Services reintroduced wolves into Yellowstone's ecosystem? The wolves started hunting the deer, and the vegetation at the park exploded; species long since thought gone from the area started to not only return but thrive. More wildlife started migrating back to the park now that their food sources returned, and rivers started changing course because of the beavers returning, along with a reduction in the erosion of the rivers' banks from excessive pounding they received due to the unchecked deer.

Long story short, deer are a nuisance to nature - a plague even. Not only did Bambi's mom deserve to be shot, but the hunter should've taken a second shot for the kid, too.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Kill bambi and all her cousins too. Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks, kill all the deer, no ticks.
            Hunters around here won't shoot a doe unless it's like the last day of hunting season. They want plenty of young-uns for future meat supply. I tell them to shoot them all . They don't listen.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Strawberries starting to ripen, picked some over the weekend.

Pea pods starting to form on the vines.
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Planted blueberries and raspberries this year (two of each). I just put a little fence around them last week to keep out the non-flying wildlife, but haven't put screening over the top yet (on my long list of to-dos.. including re-seeding the lawn ) I should have learned my lesson about trying to grow berries by now, but apparently I haven't.

I'm also trying cucumbers in a container (with a trellis) - we'll see what happens.

I also planted flowers at my mom's house (she gets lots of sun, so I am living vicariously). somehow, she has not killed them yet.
                Last edited by jen; 06-29-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  Planted blueberries and raspberries this year (two of each). I just put a little fence around them last week to keep out the non-flying wildlife, but haven't put screening over the top yet (on my long list of to-dos.. including re-seeding the lawn ) I should have learned my lesson about trying to grow berries by now, but apparently I haven't.
                  Last year, we put fencing around our blueberries to keep the deer away, and we put netting over the top as well. One day I saw a bird perch on the fencing then make his/her way inside. oops.

Later in the summer, we moved the blueberries closer together, so that we could encircle the whole patch with one piece of fencing, and this year we've covered both the top and the sides of the fence with netting. We'll see soon enough how much that increases the harvest.

For the raspberries, we have the netting on a roller, so that we just fasten one end, then with one of us on each side of the patch, we just unroll it and fasten the ends down. It has made a very noticeable difference in how much we can harvest.

The berries are later than usual this year, we've had a cool overcast spring compared to past years.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                    Last year, we put fencing around our blueberries to keep the deer away, and we put netting over the top as well. One day I saw a bird perch on the fencing then make his/her way inside. oops.

Later in the summer, we moved the blueberries closer together, so that we could encircle the whole patch with one piece of fencing, and this year we've covered both the top and the sides of the fence with netting. We'll see soon enough how much that increases the harvest.

For the raspberries, we have the netting on a roller, so that we just fasten one end, then with one of us on each side of the patch, we just unroll it and fasten the ends down. It has made a very noticeable difference in how much we can harvest.

The berries are later than usual this year, we've had a cool overcast spring compared to past years.
                    There is a state park close to us in Wisconsin and the 4th (1 week before/1 week after) is usually the reminder that blackberries are now ready to be picked. With the cool weather, they are quite a bit behind here as well. Probably peak season is still 2 weeks away.

Comment

About a week behind here and things aren't as vigorous. We had 70F in Feb for days followed by sub 0F temps. Another wild swing in early Spring that had us really warm then below freezing again. Really did a number on things that have been surviving and thriving here for years.

Been keeping a garden journal for 17 yrs and the weather is getting increasingly wacky. Some things are blooming consistently much earlier and others later. Some things that used to be sequential are now happening at the same time.
                      Last edited by leswp1; 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Picked at least 2 pints of raspberries yesterday. Plenty more ripening as well. Yum.

Comment

The only thing we have picked is lettuce so far. Everything is behind (probably because we planted late) I have scads of green tomatoes. Netted them and fed them. Hopefully they will survive to redness. Potato in the compost heap is bigger than I am. Flowering. Some sort of squash is in there too.

Comment

I have lemons! Lots and lots of lemons. I've had a lemon tree in a container for a few years, and it's never produced anything, but this year, there's lemons all over the place.

Cucumbers in a container were a HUGE fail. Did not grow at all.

Comment

I have lemons! Lots and lots of lemons. I've had a lemon tree in a container for a few years, and it's never produced anything, but this year, there's lemons all over the place.

Yay for the lemons. Boo for the Cukes.

Gave in and used organic fertilizer on a schedule- have beans, cukes, tomatoes and summer squash. Looootsa tomatoes

Comment

Really? I would like to do this now that we have a place, but am wary. This may have inspired me for next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X