This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Garden Geeks thread

Question - what's the best way to dig up a potato garden without leaving half of them cut in half?

Does rototilling work? how do I do this?
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
      Question - what's the best way to dig up a potato garden without leaving half of them cut in half?

Does rototilling work? how do I do this?
      Fork by hand. Rototiller will give you mashed potatoes.

Comment

Boston Garden show today. Used to be run by Mass Horticulture- full of great flowers, exhibits, 'gardens'. Went for profit. All vendors, very few flowers. The 'gardens' looked pretty anemic. Underwhelmed. Big disappointment. Was looking for a bit of Spring. I would say some Mall courts have better displays.

Comment

Need to order seeds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

If we were having a normal winter, I'd have stuff in the greenhouse ground already, but my water system is still frozen up. I've got plants waiting to grow "outside" already.

Comment

Thought I was “safe”, and put-in Peppers (Jalapeño, New Ace, & King Arthur), Cucumber, Zucchini, Basil, & Tomato (San Marzano, Early Girl, Big Beef, & Celebrity) over the long weekend. Frost advisory tonight. It’s flippin’ June!!!

Managed to cover the peppers, and about half of the tomatoes & basil, and hoping it doesn’t drop below 36 for the rest. Fortunately, all of “the Wife’s” plants (a variety of flowers) are in pots, hanging baskets, & deck boxes, so they get the garage tonight.

Warm thoughts,
              ~TTF
              Dave
              RIT - '90

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                Thought I was “safe”, and put-in Peppers (Jalapeño, New Ace, & King Arthur), Cucumber, Zucchini, Basil, & Tomato (San Marzano, Early Girl, Big Beef, & Celebrity) over the long weekend. Frost advisory tonight. It’s flippin’ June!!!

Managed to cover the peppers, and about half of the tomatoes & basil, and hoping it doesn’t drop below 36 for the rest. Fortunately, all of “the Wife’s” plants (a variety of flowers) are in pots, hanging baskets, & deck boxes, so they get the garage tonight.

Warm thoughts,
                ~TTF
                ouch. Dry cleaner bags or trash bags are great for that stuff

Comment

My girlfriend is a super green thumb. She used to work at a greenhouse for years. I told her she had free reign over my yard and gardens.

I’ve been bustin my a-s ever since. I should say “we” have. We’ve been putting in tons of outdoor time manicuring the gardens. She’s already put her touch on the front main garden. Several dahlias and superbells. It looks great already.

We have plans to renovate the entire back lawn, landscape and mulch the trees in the front, dig out all of the raised bed boxes in the back. Plus we’d like to dig out and seed in a rock bed that kind of acts like a carport without a car.

Plus the deck needs a lot of work. Probably nearly an entire rebuild save for the posts.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post

Warm thoughts,
                    ~TTF
                    You should really consider a greenhouse. I got one for last season, and it's really working nicely this season. You can do a pretty cheap one that will work really well for a food garden with pvc pipes and sheet covering.

Interesting to see my post right before yours where my house was totally frozen- it thawed pretty quickly, and now things are doing really well inside. The outside stuff is just starting to get going.

And my Rain Gutter Grow System experiment- which is in it's 3rd or 4th season- is getting better. I didn't touch any of the buckets, just added some compost to the top. Even left the old roots in. Plants seem happier this year.

In addition to that, I plan on putting in a small raised bed on a different side of the house for onions and garlic.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      My girlfriend is a super green thumb. She used to work at a greenhouse for years. I told her she had free reign over my yard and gardens.

I’ve been bustin my a-s ever since. I should say “we” have. We’ve been putting in tons of outdoor time manicuring the gardens. She’s already put her touch on the front main garden. Several dahlias and superbells. It looks great already.

We have plans to renovate the entire back lawn, landscape and mulch the trees in the front, dig out all of the raised bed boxes in the back. Plus we’d like to dig out and seed in a rock bed that kind of acts like a carport without a car.

Plus the deck needs a lot of work. Probably nearly an entire rebuild save for the posts.
                      If you're planning to grow veggies, you'll either need to keep those raised bed boxes, make new ones, or stick to planters. MN Ma Mining saw to that when they were found guilty of poisoning the soil in the eastern half of the metro area a number of years ago. People as far out as Woodbury were advised to either use raised beds or planters for anything they planned to consume.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        If you're planning to grow veggies, you'll either need to keep those raised bed boxes, make new ones, or stick to planters. MN Ma Mining saw to that when they were found guilty of poisoning the soil in the eastern half of the metro area a number of years ago. People as far out as Woodbury were advised to either use raised beds or planters for anything they planned to consume.
                        That's a new one for me, and I've been following that story since 2003ish after a seminar on the chemicals in college. I know the wells have contamination, but I wasn't aware of the soil. COuld that be because of the water contamination? If so, you'd have to use filtered water to irrigate your lawn and gardens. If that's the case, there's really nothing you can do.

With all of that being said, we aren't planting anything edible yet. But we might use filtered water for our herbs we plan on growing this summer.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Consumed my first harvest of radishes today!

Comment

I moved my lemon tree outside. There was one lemon on it. Yesterday, the lemon was lying on the ground next to the tree with ONE bite taken out of it.

I could’ve told you that you wouldn’t like it, effing squirrel.

Comment

Had a ground hog making holes near the garden. Not anymore.

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Had a ground hog making holes near the garden. Not anymore.

We have a family under our shed. Haven't figured out how to solve that. Shed is BIG. Can't move it. It has also settled so we can't get under it.

Comment

Working...
                                X