Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748

Thread: Garden Geeks thread

Black Bear since D-2

Re: Garden Geeks thread

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Unfortunately they live under the shed and are quite clever. They got so savy they would wait to hear the car go down the driveway to come out.
    Ah, but you're more clever on any day of the week, and twice on a Tuesday.

We had two females and 6 kits under our shed this Spring, and a visiting male. They learned our habits, yes, but they can easily be out-maneuvered if one has the patience.

Easiest way to start the carnage is to drive off a few yards, throw a couple of shovel-fulls of dirt into the most accessible opening, and park yourself a few feet away on a camp chair... Within minutes, they'll start to dig out, and offer multiple easy shots.

I got all nine of them before mid-May this year using this approach, or via some variation of it. (And, as gruesome as it sounds, it helps to stuff the carcasses back in the burrow, too. Seems that practice discourages newcomers.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Ah, but you're more clever on any day of the week, and twice on a Tuesday.

We had two females and 6 kits under our shed this Spring, and a visiting male. They learned our habits, yes, but they can easily be out-maneuvered if one has the patience.

Easiest way to start the carnage is to drive off a few yards, throw a couple of shovel-fulls of dirt into the most accessible opening, and park yourself a few feet away on a camp chair... Within minutes, they'll start to dig out, and offer multiple easy shots.

I got all nine of them before mid-May this year using this approach, or via some variation of it. (And, as gruesome as it sounds, it helps to stuff the carcasses back in the burrow, too. Seems that practice discourages newcomers.)
    I will have to tell lil les this technique. We can't see the opening of the burrow. He sat on the porch with the pump gun and they figured out not to come out. Then he started out the 2nd story window. That worked until they figured out to listen to the footsteps on the stairs.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    I will have to tell lil les this technique. We can't see the opening of the burrow. He sat on the porch with the pump gun and they figured out not to come out. Then he started out the 2nd story window. That worked until they figured out to listen to the footsteps on the stairs.
    Yes, they can pick-up on habitual threats after a day or two. The young of the year are quite naive, but the older ones learn pretty quickly.

Still, their curiosity is usually their downfall. Throw any foreign object into your shed burrows, and they'll get busy removing it... Then they'll stare and stare, and offer a good shot from very close range, as long as you sit quite still.

That entire process generally takes less than 30 minutes, in my experience. Even veteran 'chucks can't help themselves, and peek-out for several minutes, directly at an interloper who's at least 15' away.

Thread Information