Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 901 to 920 of 924

Thread: Garden Geeks thread

  1. #901
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,774
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Had a ground hog making holes near the garden. Not anymore.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    😀

  2. #902
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,774
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    We have a family under our shed. Haven't figured out how to solve that. Shed is BIG. Can't move it. It has also settled so we can't get under it.
    Short term, try tossing a bunch of mothballs under the shed. Long term, wait until late summer and bury a fence down 12” around the shed. A pellet gun is easier and cheaper. 😀

  3. #903
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    35,405

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Short term, try tossing a bunch of mothballs under the shed. Long term, wait until late summer and bury a fence down 12” around the shed. A pellet gun is easier and cheaper. 😀
    Better have a good pellet gun, tough sons of ........... Goose pinned him under a vehicle so I could get a point blank shot with a ..22 long rifle and it still took a couple.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  4. #904
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,774

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Better have a good pellet gun, tough sons of ........... Goose pinned him under a vehicle so I could get a point blank shot with a ..22 long rifle and it still took a couple.
    I had a 1200 FPS one pump. Killed a couple in their tracks but one made it back under the shed and stunk it up after a week or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

    Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

  5. #905
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Short term, try tossing a bunch of mothballs under the shed. Long term, wait until late summer and bury a fence down 12” around the shed. A pellet gun is easier and cheaper. ��
    Mothballs- nope, didn't work.
    Pellet gun- lilnsl has been shooting them for the last several yrs. It doesn't work, they pop up. We would have to excavate the area around shed- there is a wood pile, french drain.
    Maybe a grenade!

  6. #906
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    LOve this time of year. Lowes puts a ton of Perennials on clearance simply because they don't bloom in this season. They are all healthy. 3$ each. OK. Works for me.
    And Mandevilla 2.50 a piece. And a Hibiscus 2.50. For the win.

  7. #907
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,535

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    So I'm up to about a gallon of harvested raspberries and black raspberries. Still have a lot to come. Normally we miss this with a vacation, but with everything so late due to the wet winter and spring, I'm getting them now. Oh, so nice.

  8. #908
    "Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer, 9/11/01
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Horseheads, NY
    Posts
    1,787

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Poppin’ our first Zucchini off tomorrow. So far, so good on those... no signs of squash bug larvae.

    (touches wood)

  9. #909
    Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    St Alphonzos pancake breakfast
    Posts
    35,405

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Been driving on the coast the last week, I've seen a 4 petal flower on a 12 to 15 foot high tree. Most of them have been white but also saw an orange one. Not much to go on but what is it? It looks like an oriental dogwood but I assume that blooms in spring?
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

    Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

  10. #910
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,535

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Made some popciles with just berries and Stevia. Nothing else. Totally awesome. And I have a LOT more berries to pick

  11. #911
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    So far raspberry pie.
    Tomorrow Raspberry Clafoutis

  12. #912
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Been driving on the coast the last week, I've seen a 4 petal flower on a 12 to 15 foot high tree. Most of them have been white but also saw an orange one. Not much to go on but what is it? It looks like an oriental dogwood but I assume that blooms in spring?
    Odd. I know you are too the north but shouldn't dogwoods be done now?

    My Daylilies are spectacular right now. Insane show. All diff hybrids. My Uncle belongs to the Indiana Iris and Daylily org (don't know the name). Every yr they have a sale and some of the daylilies don't get sold or lose their tags, etc. He sends them to me. Starting to mature and spread. Wow!

  13. #913
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,929

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Odd. I know you are too the north but shouldn't dogwoods be done now?

    My Daylilies are spectacular right now. Insane show. All diff hybrids. My Uncle belongs to the Indiana Iris and Daylily org (don't know the name). Every yr they have a sale and some of the daylilies don't get sold or lose their tags, etc. He sends them to me. Starting to mature and spread. Wow!
    Ours are insane also. We only have orange in our garden and our neighbor has a beautiful orange and red combo, but when we were at my parents' place last weekend, my dad has 100s of daylillies in a ton of colors and it was gorgeous. It's such a haven there (my dad's plan was to plant as much as possible around a giant house on their small plot so he would never have to mow when he retired -- mission pretty much accomplished).

  14. #914
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Ours are insane also. We only have orange in our garden and our neighbor has a beautiful orange and red combo, but when we were at my parents' place last weekend, my dad has 100s of daylillies in a ton of colors and it was gorgeous. It's such a haven there (my dad's plan was to plant as much as possible around a giant house on their small plot so he would never have to mow when he retired -- mission pretty much accomplished).
    You are always welcome to come shopping in my garden. I have some really cool double/tripple melon colored ones with a sort of reddish throat. They are really pretty. And prolific

  15. #915
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,929

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    You are always welcome to come shopping in my garden. I have some really cool double/tripple melon colored ones with a sort of reddish throat. They are really pretty. And prolific
    I think that will be next year's plan. I am awaiting permission to dig up the death bush in my backyard plot (I'm not sure if I need permission from the Condo Association, but I figure better to ask permission in this case). I will probably enrich the soil and then plant in that bed next year. Whatever bush is there now is gross - it's growing like crazy (I didn't prune it last year because I didn't know how). It has tiny yellow flowers that have all bloomed and died and the dead blooms smell like rot. I aggressively cut it back already, but I'd like to just dig it out at the roots and start fresh.

  16. #916
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    I think that will be next year's plan. I am awaiting permission to dig up the death bush in my backyard plot (I'm not sure if I need permission from the Condo Association, but I figure better to ask permission in this case). I will probably enrich the soil and then plant in that bed next year. Whatever bush is there now is gross - it's growing like crazy (I didn't prune it last year because I didn't know how). It has tiny yellow flowers that have all bloomed and died and the dead blooms smell like rot. I aggressively cut it back already, but I'd like to just dig it out at the roots and start fresh.
    It will all be here. Probably bigger

  17. #917
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,333

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Short term, try tossing a bunch of mothballs under the shed. Long term, wait until late summer and bury a fence down 12” around the shed. A pellet gun is easier and cheaper. ��
    Back when I lived in town, I used to have to employ the ole Crosman 760 at very very close range, and directly between the eyes, to obtain the desired results... But, as we all know, the whistle-pigs are able critters, and don't give up on life easily. I camped-out right next to their hidey-holes for hours, and still failed to deliver the coup de grace at times.(Chuck fever, I suppose.)

    Since 2015 I've been where I could discharge a .22. and that sure works better. Shot 8 of the little ******** before anything even came up this year. But, there's always another woodchuck coming down the pike.

    So, we decided that maybe a fence would be easier (and less gory). Got some of those metal posts with the hooks on them, and a couple hundred feet of fruit tree netting to string along it. Left about a foot of it along the outside, weighted with rocks.

    So far, so good. (And the deer and rabbits and turkies have all laid-off, too.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 07-23-2019 at 10:18 PM.

  18. #918
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Are turkeys really a problem? We have tons of them in my neighborhood and never had an issue.

  19. #919
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,535

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Are turkeys really a problem? We have tons of them in my neighborhood and never had an issue.
    They do attack people. My wife was chased for quite a while until she was able to chance down a maintenance truck to help her get away. Nasty creatures.

  20. #920
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    31,294

    Re: Garden Geeks thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Back when I lived in town, I used to have to employ the ole Crosman 760 at very very close range, and directly between the eyes, to obtain the desired results... But, as we all know, the whistle-pigs are able critters, and don't give up on life easily. I camped-out right next to their hidey-holes for hours, and still failed to deliver the coup de grace at times.(Chuck fever, I suppose.)

    Since 2015 I've been where I could discharge a .22. and that sure works better. Shot 8 of the little ******** before anything even came up this year. But, there's always another woodchuck coming down the pike.

    So, we decided that maybe a fence would be easier (and less gory). Got some of those metal posts with the hooks on them, and a couple hundred feet of fruit tree netting to string along it. Left about a foot of it along the outside, weighted with rocks.

    So far, so good. (And the deer and rabbits and turkies have all laid-off, too.)
    We put the black net fencing draped on and over the hardware cloth fencing and zip tied it at intervals. We then put in tall green poles and put further black fencing around each raised bed. We are still picking lettuce. Picked my first green beans and cuke today. Tons of tomatoes coming. Fingers crossed

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •