Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamline Pipers

Hamline Pipers

I guess I can now say something since D3WH has finally broken this story but Hamline HC Scott Bell has submitted his resignation apparently due to some differences of opinion with AD Bob Beaman. Scott Steffen's name has surfaced but only as a recommended candidate. more to certainly come very soon.

Re: Hamline Pipers

Steffen's??? Maybe Bell accepted the job at St. Thomas?

Stats Guy

I have boatloads of respect for coach Bell from my few years covering the MIAC. Always personable, helpful, and did a great job turning around a downtrodden program. I have no doubt we'll see him in the coaching ranks again soon.
    2010 D-III NCAA Tournament Pick'em Champion (Perfect Bracket)
    2008-09 USCHO MIAC Correspondent
    2007-09 WGSU Geneseo Play-by-play announcer
    Bracketologist For That Other Site

Sounds about right regarding Beeman! Scott will be very hard to replace. Did just a superb job in putting Hamline program on the map.

Yea Scotty was pretty awesome and his players loved to play for him. Not sure why Beeman doesn't give hockey the credibility as the other sports. However, I am impressed with Scott Steffan's resume. Maybe not a well known entity outside of Minny but sounds like a great up and newcomer with a lot of passion. Just ask a dew NHLers. Remains to be seen which direction Beeman will go. That's the scary part.

Heard that Beeman had tried to force Scott out earlier and was going replace him at that time with hockey coach he had at his last job at Lawrence. He has yet to hire anyone at HU that has turned around a program. All the successful coaches are Tressel or O'Brien hires.

Most of HU men's teams are good. I don't understand why the guy is on the bench and in the locker room? Im sure he met with each coach when hired. Trust your coaches dude.

Quote Originally Posted by PiperFan View Post
    Heard that Beeman had tried to force Scott out earlier and was going replace him at that time with hockey coach he had at his last job at Lawrence. He has yet to hire anyone at HU that has turned around a program. All the successful coaches are Tressel or O'Brien hires.
    I've heard the same thing about a Lawrence coach who is a friend of Beeman as a possible replacement. Not sure who it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by puckrfactor View Post
    I've heard the same thing about a Lawrence coach who is a friend of Beeman as a possible replacement. Not sure who it is though.
    Ruhly? I think Bell will be very missed at Hamline.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

The current head coach at Lawrence is Mike Szkodzinski. I don't know anything about any potential contacts between him and Beaman, though.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    The current head coach at Lawrence is Mike Szkodzinski. I don't know anything about any potential contacts between him and Beaman, though.
    Maybe this would add some insight.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

You know, one of these days I'm going to learn how to use this whole "internet" thing.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Skodzinski would be a reputable candidate it seems, although I'm not sure why/if he consider a move. Word is Bell has recommended former Hamline player Scott Steffen who has trained/ coached numerous NHL and collegians. Has been assistant coach at Hill-Murray School and has also been recently successful with the Minnesota Blades program. Anyone else have info/comments/opinions on these two candidates?

Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Bell out of coaching as a profession. Hopes to stay active in the MN Elite League.

Quote Originally Posted by 123kidd View Post
    Bell out of coaching as a profession. Hopes to stay active in the MN Elite League.
    Wow, I wasn't expecting that. He really was one of the best DIII coaches out there. I thought he might land in the USHL. He did an amazing job turning Hamline around. I am not sure if Szkodzinski would have enough incentive to move to Hamline if offered the job. Hamline has a good program in large part because of Bell.

Any word on the national search to replace Bell?

This just in....

SCOTT STEFFEN NAMED HEAD MEN’S HOCKEY COACH
    AT HAMLINE UNIVERSITY
    ST. PAUL, Minn. (July 15, 2011) –* Scott Steffen, owner of Steffen Elite Hockey Training Camps and a 1997 alumnus of Hamline University, has been named the Pipers’ head men’s hockey coach, Director of Athletics Bob Beeman announced on Friday.
    Steffen has established himself as one of the premier hockey skating and strength coaches in the country over the past 13 years while training some of the best hockey talent in the state. As owner and head skating instructor of Steffen Elite Hockey Training Camps, he runs one of Minnesota’s largest hockey training camps. Steffen has also trained several hundred professional and collegiate players through Scott Steffen Hockey Training and the Minnesota Super League professional summer hockey league. Additionally, he has been a skating, strength, and conditioning coach for several NHL players, including members of the Minnesota Wild.
    Since 2001, Steffen has been the head strength and conditioning coach for the prolific Hill-Murray High School boys’ hockey program under his mentor, head coach Bill Lechner. The Pioneers made seven MSHSL state tournament appearances – winning the championship in 2008 – while producing 17 NCAA Division I players and six NHL draft picks during that 11-year period. Returning Hamline All-American senior forward, and captain, Brian Arrigoni is also a product of Steffen and Lechner’s Hill-Murray teams.
    Steffen has also been the head coach of the Minnesota Blades Midget AAA hockey team since 2008. His team sent seven players to the U.S. National Select 16 team this season alone, as well as having nine players drafted into the USHL and winning 11 major tournament championships.
    “Scott Steffen brings back an incredible depth in experience and technical knowledge to his alma mater. His influence in the Minnesota hockey community extends to all levels,” Beeman said. “His connection with, understanding of, and passion for Piper hockey further endorses the Hamline athletic department vision of building nationally-acclaimed programs through excellence on and off the fields (or ice) of competition.”
    He was a two-year captain and was thrice named to All-MIAC lists as a forward when he played hockey for Hamline from 1993 to 1997.
    “I am thrilled to come back and be a part of the Hamline community, especially the hockey program. I appreciate Bob Beeman offering me this opportunity to return to the Pipers in this capacity and look forward to working with him and the athletic department staff,” said Steffen. “A Hamline hockey player is an elite student-athlete and I want to share with our current players how important and impressive it is to hold a degree from Hamline. Some of my best, and most successful, friends are former Piper hockey players and Hamline alumni.”
    In discussing the roster that he inherits, Steffen added, “We have a special group of young players who have been extremely supportive as I go through this process of joining their team. I am excited to hit the ice with them as we continue Hamline’s pursuit of a national championship.”
    Steffen will be coaching the reigning MIAC champions on familiar ice, as the men’s hockey team is moving to the Vadnais Heights Sports Center for the 2011-12 campaign. The complex is also the home of Scott Steffen Hockey Training.
    Steffen earned his bachelor’s degree in international business from Hamline in 1997. His six-year old twin sons, Luke and Landon, are as active in youth hockey as their father. Steffen takes over his role at the helm of the Pipers immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by AVFC View Post
    Wow, I wasn't expecting that. He really was one of the best DIII coaches out there. I thought he might land in the USHL. He did an amazing job turning Hamline around. I am not sure if Szkodzinski would have enough incentive to move to Hamline if offered the job. Hamline has a good program in large part because of Bell.
    I was really sad to hear about Bell. I agree that Bell was the best thing to happen to Hamline in a very long time. I don't know if they have found a replacement yet, but hopefully they find someone who can do half as well as bell. I am really going to miss him. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about chickasaw culture? I am digging up some information on this for a research project that I am working on, and could really use some good resources. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nolan; 10-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    I was really sad to hear about Bell. I agree that Bell was the best thing to happen to Hamline in a very long time. I don't know if they have found a replacement yet, but hopfully they find someone who can do half as well as bell. I am really going to miss him.
    Did you just wake up from a VERY, VERY LONG nap! You should read the entire thread. I do agree with you that Coach Bell will be missed, but Steffen has excited Piperland once again! https://board.uscho.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Thread Information