Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 696

Thread: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by Almington View Post
    I'm back. Who moved my comfy chair?
    Oh, this chair is yours?

  2. #342
    Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17,009

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Oh, this chair is yours?
    Yes, didn't you the reserved tag I left behind?

    Can I please find a female who doesn't have daddy issues?

  3. #343
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by Almington View Post
    Yes, didn't you the reserved tag I left behind?

    Can I please find a female who doesn't have daddy issues?
    I like the ones with daddy issues, they're more apt to let you put it in the pooper.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  4. #344
    pain is temporary pride is forever
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Allston MA
    Posts
    9,147

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    AKJD:

    I understand the pain of working with a limited social circle, but going after women at work poses a lot of risks - are you sure you'd want to risk unemployment for some tail? Remember, a failed advance outside of work means nothing...at work it means being awkward and chatter. This type of drama is inevitable and can really add complications to your life. Remember, women talk to other women so just because she doesn't work with you doesn't mean another co workers won't hear stuff which can in turn be closer to where you work.

    That said, proceed with caution if you want to move forward.

    The first step to getting a girls attention is to be somewhat popular. Hate to say it, but its like in high school. If you don't have a decent social circle and a life outside of work, you'll make things more difficult for yourself. If the chick at work sees you are an overall pretty legit guy who makes friends and can hold conversations, she'll be interested a little. From there its up to you to get good at conversation that leaves her wanting more. Stay away from boring crap and get her emotionally interested. You can always tell a chick who is uninterested who responds flat/ monotone vs a women who is interested who gives you the puppy dog eyes, asks questions, keeps the conversation going. Once you got that, say this,

    ' I am going to ( Me and some friends are going to) ____, you should come along'

    I don't use pickup lines or **** like that, but this is the #1 piece of ammo which has gotten me more dates that I care to admit. Basically it says that you are doing something and that she is invited to participate. What it does is not place the burden of plans based on her. It shows you take initiative. Lastly it shows you got a life.
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

    -Herodotus

  5. #345
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,146

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    So it seems as though a few of my friends are trying to set me up with a girl one of my friends works with. Not a big fan of such things. Then they showed me pictures of her and I decided to not tell them to stop.

  6. #346
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,190

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    So it seems as though a few of my friends are trying to set me up with a girl one of my friends works with. Not a big fan of such things. Then they showed me pictures of her and I decided to not tell them to stop.
    I really hate being set up with a date. People, you don't really know what someone else looks for in a date, so stop presuming that you do. I've been set up a few times, and it's never gone even remotely well.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  7. #347
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,146
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I really hate being set up with a date. People, you don't really know what someone else looks for in a date, so stop presuming that you do. I've been set up a few times, and it's never gone even remotely well.
    I agree. But I'll just let this one play out. She went Grand Rapids High School, which means she probably knows my ex. Never a great thing. Oh, and she went to UND, so this probably has no chance of working out.

  8. #348
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,460

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I really hate being set up with a date. People, you don't really know what someone else looks for in a date, so stop presuming that you do. I've been set up a few times, and it's never gone even remotely well.
    LOL. My step-grandmother once insisted she should fix me up with one of my half-aunt's brothers because "he likes sports". Well, that's enough reason to marry him right there. Sports??? No way!!!

  9. #349
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    26,194

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    I agree. But I'll just let this one play out. She went Grand Rapids High School, which means she probably knows my ex. Never a great thing. Oh, and she went to UND, so this probably has no chance of working out.
    Maybe not, but hate sex is always a great option.

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    So it seems as though a few of my friends are trying to set me up with a girl one of my friends works with. Not a big fan of such things. Then they showed me pictures of her and I decided to not tell them to stop.
    Some girl tried to do that with me for one of her friends, but then she didn't want to once she found out that I have long hair.

  11. #351
    Holding onto what I haven't got
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Derry, NH
    Posts
    2,084

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    I guess I’m writing this more to put this entire thing into some sort of context that I can understand, and perhaps that by posting here, someone else can avoid my mistake.

    My freshman year at UNH, the fall of 2004, my roommate tried to set me up with a girl in our dorm that he thought would be a good girlfriend for me. He had his own girlfriend, so he was simply being a good roommate. Things went rather well to begin with, and there was an early connection. However, unbeknownst to me, she also had a boyfriend back home. Now I was a little concerned at that notion, being of rather small stature, I was aware of just how easily I could lose a fight to an angry boyfriend. Therefore, I decided to pursue cautiously. Aggravating this was the fact that I was horrendously inexperienced with women at the time, so I had no idea what to pick up on, or when to make a move. Ultimately, I never made any sort of move at all. Things were kinda left hanging as we went to Christmas break. When we got back, I could notice things were different. We had a talk, and she said she didn’t really have feelings for me. This was, in retrospect, a crucial moment. I simply turned around, walked back to the dorm, and left it at that. I didn’t ask anything further, I didn’t want to get into reasons or anything. I just heard what I’d expected and walked home…no questions asked…literally.

    I then went through every one of the “5 stages” in a completely random order, sometimes going back and forth, yet one remaining a constant. I was angry, and acted like a complete ******* to her for the first few months after our conversation (I DID end up apologizing later). I was depressed, and usually consulted my friends Sam Adams and Jameson regarding what to do, without many answers.

    However, the two that stick out the most were denial and bargaining. We remained friends, mostly due to the fact that we shared a lot of friends in common, and so I simply refused to accept that she just wasn’t into me that way, and as a result tried everything in the book to try to re-light the fire. Perhaps that’s half the reason I acted like an *******. Then, after a while, I decided to go the Nice Guy route, and be helpful as could be without being a doormat. I tried distancing myself, only to discover that she was perfectly fine without me. I’d had relationships with other girls, but she had always stuck in the back of my head. I was constantly thinking that there had to be somehow, some way to get her interested in me again. “Maybe, if I was with another girl, she’d get jealous…” Simply put, that was my line of thinking, as she’d been with other guys and I lost my god**** mind over it.

    At any rate, this pretty much continued into this past spring, when she broke up with her most recent boyfriend, and I saw this as my time to strike. We’d gone skiing, and started hanging out a bit more, so I figured I could make a move again. We got to talking about how things were going this past week, and she was lamenting not having a boyfriend. So I brought up myself as an option, and we had “The Talk” again about how I’m more of a brother than a boyfriend, and all of that garbage.

    For some reason, it sank in this time, and I was more interested in investigating the reasons into it than simply torturing myself. I realized that I totally WAS in denial, and I was too much of a ****ing baby to accept it before. I think the moral of the story is don’t torture yourself over one woman that you think is The One…because she probably isn’t.
    A Decade of Dominance

    2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

  12. #352
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    333

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Alright, so an update of sorts.

    A couple weeks ago, things with the girl at work were just so-so. Not bad, but no progress either. Then, she was talking to one of my friends at work and somehow he mentioned something I did that cracked him up, and her response was something along the lines of "Oh, so he can open up to people after all?" I didn't think that we even crossed paths often enough for her to expect much of anything, but apparently she did? I dunno. Anyway, he told her that yes I do open up to people, it can just take a while sometimes.

    The next two days after that she seemed much friendlier. We had a couple of walk-and-talks, mostly work related, but still. She called down to ask me specifically to come get something from upstairs, that really anybody down there could've gotten. The next week was a bit of a wash, but I was REALLY busy and frankly never even got much of a chance to see her. Then the other day this week, she came down to bring some paperwork, started back upstairs, and then turned around and started talking to me about something somebody had told her about me. We talked about that for a minute or two, and she went back about her business.

    Later that afternoon, she pulled an interesting move that really caught me off guard. I ran upstairs to talk to somebody, and on the way back down I started to go past her desk. She looked like she was pretty busy with whatever she was doing on the computer, so I just started to walk past and leave her be, but she suddenly turned away from the computer, faced and looked directly at me and plopped her arms down on the desk (in a get-your-attention way), smiled and rather enthusiastically said "Hi!" I said hi back, and we went back and forth with the typical "how are you doing/good, and you?" bit. It was quick, but the tone was rather... playful? I dunno. Then she kinda laughed and we went about our business. I dunno if she was just bored and decided to be random, or wanted to mess with me a little bit and see how I'd respond, or if she was just trying to get the point across that I'm welcome to stop and chat with her when I'm in the area, or if it was something else entirely.

    I do wish I'd responded better though. It sure seems to me that she's trying to reach out to me, but I think I need to come up with a couple topics of conversation that I can cram into my head so I don't forget in the moment, so if she does something like that again, I can try to take the situation and go with it.

    Any thoughts? Like I said, it seems to me that she's trying to reach out, but I'm not great at reading people. I'm also not sure how to proceed, other than do what I've been doing and hopefully have a conversation primed and ready for when the opportunity strikes. I don't really think we're at the "hey, let's go hang out" stage yet, and frankly a group outing with work friends isn't likely either, since they're all a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud It's like pulling teeth to get any of them to go do much of anything. Trust me, I've tried.

  13. #353
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by AKJD View Post
    Alright, so an update of sorts.

    A couple weeks ago, things with the girl at work were just so-so. Not bad, but no progress either. Then, she was talking to one of my friends at work and somehow he mentioned something I did that cracked him up, and her response was something along the lines of "Oh, so he can open up to people after all?" I didn't think that we even crossed paths often enough for her to expect much of anything, but apparently she did? I dunno. Anyway, he told her that yes I do open up to people, it can just take a while sometimes.

    The next two days after that she seemed much friendlier. We had a couple of walk-and-talks, mostly work related, but still. She called down to ask me specifically to come get something from upstairs, that really anybody down there could've gotten. The next week was a bit of a wash, but I was REALLY busy and frankly never even got much of a chance to see her. Then the other day this week, she came down to bring some paperwork, started back upstairs, and then turned around and started talking to me about something somebody had told her about me. We talked about that for a minute or two, and she went back about her business.

    Later that afternoon, she pulled an interesting move that really caught me off guard. I ran upstairs to talk to somebody, and on the way back down I started to go past her desk. She looked like she was pretty busy with whatever she was doing on the computer, so I just started to walk past and leave her be, but she suddenly turned away from the computer, faced and looked directly at me and plopped her arms down on the desk (in a get-your-attention way), smiled and rather enthusiastically said "Hi!" I said hi back, and we went back and forth with the typical "how are you doing/good, and you?" bit. It was quick, but the tone was rather... playful? I dunno. Then she kinda laughed and we went about our business. I dunno if she was just bored and decided to be random, or wanted to mess with me a little bit and see how I'd respond, or if she was just trying to get the point across that I'm welcome to stop and chat with her when I'm in the area, or if it was something else entirely.

    I do wish I'd responded better though. It sure seems to me that she's trying to reach out to me, but I think I need to come up with a couple topics of conversation that I can cram into my head so I don't forget in the moment, so if she does something like that again, I can try to take the situation and go with it.

    Any thoughts? Like I said, it seems to me that she's trying to reach out, but I'm not great at reading people. I'm also not sure how to proceed, other than do what I've been doing and hopefully have a conversation primed and ready for when the opportunity strikes. I don't really think we're at the "hey, let's go hang out" stage yet, and frankly a group outing with work friends isn't likely either, since they're all a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud It's like pulling teeth to get any of them to go do much of anything. Trust me, I've tried.
    Ask her out for drinks after work with a group of friends. You go out with her and 2-3 other friends so you get time talk to her, and a better opportunity to see if there is anything there. You're in a group, so any awkwardness(is that a word?) is limited, and if it doesn't go well, then who cares, you were just a group of friends hanging out, no harm done.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  14. #354
    Blood Boiling with Rage and Hate Almington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    17,009

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by AKJD View Post
    Alright, so an update of sorts.

    I do wish I'd responded better though. It sure seems to me that she's trying to reach out to me, but I think I need to come up with a couple topics of conversation that I can cram into my head so I don't forget in the moment, so if she does something like that again, I can try to take the situation and go with it.

    Any thoughts? Like I said, it seems to me that she's trying to reach out, but I'm not great at reading people. I'm also not sure how to proceed, other than do what I've been doing and hopefully have a conversation primed and ready for when the opportunity strikes. I don't really think we're at the "hey, let's go hang out" stage yet, and frankly a group outing with work friends isn't likely either, since they're all a bunch of sticks-in-the-mud It's like pulling teeth to get any of them to go do much of anything. Trust me, I've tried.
    If what you say is correct, she is in fact interested in you, then you need to just man up and directly ask her if she'd like to do something with you after work. If she says no, that is that and you just need to move on.

  15. #355
    Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Spiez, Switzerland
    Posts
    9,206

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    So I just made a loaf of banana bread (I really did).

    (T/F): XYZ can parlay this into major success with the ladies.
    "Yeah, because I’m the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, I’m wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

  16. #356
    Vinegar Strokes
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,159

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    So I just made a loaf of banana bread (I really did).

    (T/F): XYZ can parlay this into major success with the ladies.
    Depends on how big the banana is.


    You're welcome for that one everyone, I'll be here all week.

  17. #357
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,703

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    So I just made a loaf of banana bread (I really did).

    (T/F): XYZ can parlay this into major success with the ladies.


    Classic.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #358
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,627

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by collegehcky2 View Post
    Depends on how big the banana is.
    You're welcome for that one everyone, I'll be here all week.
    Given your join date, I'm guessing you missed the inside joke...

    Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    So I just made a loaf of banana bread (I really did).

    (T/F): XYZ can parlay this into major success with the ladies.
    True, unless you are happily single by choice.

  19. #359
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,911

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Damm you guys. Now I'm craving banana bread.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  20. #360
    Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Spiez, Switzerland
    Posts
    9,206

    Re: Singles Part 14: Come Get Some!

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    True, unless you are happily single by choice.
    What if I'm not, but say I am...and get a t-shirt that says so to prove it!?
    "Yeah, because I’m the genius marketer, not a code freak like you guys. Besides, I’m wearing sandals so I am iconoclasting a little bit."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •