Number of games in a season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of games in a season?

So why are there teams that play less games than the rest? Doesn't really make sense to me. I think that the NCAA should do something about this, but I guess they're too busy being a bunch of polically correct *****s.

Re: Number of games in a season?

Originally posted by achybreaky View Post
    So why are there teams that play less games than the rest? Doesn't really make sense to me. I think that the NCAA should do something about this, but I guess they're too busy being a bunch of polically correct *****s.
    Ha great first post.
    Originally posted by Mankato student
    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
    -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
      Ha great first post.
      I no ivy league teams can only play certain Lamont of games, why hmmmm guessing studies.

Comment

I blame Ylae, Brom, Hahvard (sucks), Darmouth, Princetom, The Cornell System, and Eastern Bias

Oh, and {PROVICED just because.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I blame Ylae, Brom, Hahvard (sucks), Darmouth, Princetom, The Cornell System, and Eastern Bias Oh, and {PROVICED just because.
          You forgot the state of Alaska and their status as an honorary Middle-Eastern country.
          SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
          UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
          Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
          Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
          UMD Football: 2008, 2010
          UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Don't mind the wolves, but you are asking a basic question. There are several reasons and here are two plus.

The Ivies limit the number of games their teams can play.

Teams that go to Alaska can have an extra at home game to compensate for the Alaska trip expense.

There are also exhibition game rules on the number of those types of games. Not sure of the exact rules for this.

Comment

The ivy league schools (Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale, Brown) are limited by their league to 29 games. In addition, they are not allowed to start until at earliest the last week of October, once again by rule of their league.

In all college sports, it is agreed that if you travel to Alaska or Hawaii and play a team from Alaska or Hawaii, it does not count toward your limit of games (34 in college hockey for all non-Ivy schools). In effect, the NCAA did do something about this; they made it so schools within the lower 48 have a reason to travel to Alaska or Hawaii for a game to play those teams, otherwise they'd never get any home games because of the travel costs.

As for exhibitions and other exempt games that don't count towards the 34, those include the IceBreaker tournament, the game at the USA National Hockey Hall of Fame, one international school or national team (typically teams will use this to play a Canadian college), one international tour a maximum of every four years (like Michigan Tech did to Europe this season), the USA Olympic team, or any other USA Hockey sanctioned national team (e.g. U-18, U-17, U-20 Junior National team).

Comment

At some universities, student athletes, are still students first and athletes second. A rarity, but when you realize that the Ivy League was originially founded to preserve intercollegiate athletics, it sort of puts everything into perspective:

"The seven colleges involved fall naturally together by reason of their common interests and similar general standards and by dint of their established national reputation they are in a particularly advantageous position to assume leadership for the preservation of the ideals of intercollegiate athletics."
                Last edited by yalehockeyfan; 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM.
                -------------
                Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Thank you for the answers and the negative rep!

Comment

Some teams can't get enough other teams willing to play them, either.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                      "The seven colleges involved fall naturally together by reason of their common interests and similar general standards and by dint of their established national reputation they are in a particularly advantageous position to assume leadership for the preservation of the ideals of intercollegiate athletics."
                      Just curious, which of the eight current Ivies wasn't included in that statement?
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Just curious, which of the eight current Ivies wasn't included in that statement?
                        My guess would be SUNY Pyongyang, because it is the last one to form.

Comment

Working...
                        X