X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antitrust Lawsuit Coming for NCAA?

From the Associated Press on 2/22/11:

ND House says UND must keep Fighting Sioux name

Setting up a potential clash with the NCAA, the North Dakota House on Monday approved a bill that requires the University of North Dakota to keep its Fighting Sioux athletics nickname.

The university has been preparing to drop the nickname and its American Indian head logo this summer as part of a negotiated lawsuit settlement with the NCAA, which considers both to be hostile and abusive to American Indians.

House members voted 65-28 to approve legislation Monday that requires UND to keep the nickname and logo, and directs Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem to consider an antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA if any penalties result.

The bill now goes to the North Dakota Senate for its review. An NCAA spokeswoman, Gail Dent, declined to comment on the House vote...
    That's just the first 1/3 of the article. Now I know this story involves a Division I school, however the part that I wanted to focus on could have much more of an impact than just on that particular program. Also as I don't think I've ever posted on the D-I board, I'm more familiar with the top minds on the D-III board.

It seems this process is still in it's infancy (if even that) but does anyone have a take on what some of the implications would be if such a lawsuit were to be filed against the NCAA?

The most I can offer to the subject is that I know from a Women in Sport class that the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) had to fold back in the 80s when the NCAA started doing their own Women's Championships.
    Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
    08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
    2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Re: Antitrust Lawsuit Coming for NCAA?

Originally posted by nysportsfan29 View Post
    From the Associated Press on 2/22/11:

ND House says UND must keep Fighting Sioux name

That's just the first 1/3 of the article. Now I know this story involves a Division I school, however the part that I wanted to focus on could have much more of an impact than just on that particular program. Also as I don't think I've ever posted on the D-I board, I'm more familiar with the top minds on the D-III board.

It seems this process is still in it's infancy (if even that) but does anyone have a take on what some of the implications would be if such a lawsuit were to be filed against the NCAA?

The most I can offer to the subject is that I know from a Women in Sport class that the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) had to fold back in the 80s when the NCAA started doing their own Women's Championships.
    Antitrusts against the NCAA are common:

There is this one..

And this one. - some commonalities with the UND case.

And this one could change everything..

The NCAA has lost before, for example, here in 2008, excerpt:

As part of a settlement to a federal antitrust suit, the NCAA agreed Tuesday to make available $10 million...
    "This was a hard-fought case," he said. "They have really good lawyers, and a lot of them, and they were fighting every step of the way."
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

There is this one..

It's the reason for the 500 mile rule - jet fuel vs legal fees
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Great stuff, Norm. Thanks.

If I was still in school, this would definitely be my next research paper topic.
        Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
        08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
        2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post

There is this one..

And there is the antitrust lawsuit filed by the NIT against the NCAA. The out of court settlement resulted in the NCAA buying the NIT and paying for all court fees.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
          X